Long Shot Search For Parts

Hey guys, I know this is a long shot, but I'm working on a 1/32 scale F/A-18D Blue Angel build using the Academy kit and just discovered that after sitting stored for so long, the canopy has a crack in it and the right tail that I'd already assembled had something melt onto it around the middle antennae area. I called MRC and they said the kit is out of production so they don't have replacement parts. I'm pretty sure no-one would have a spare canopy so I'm likely purely out of luck on that unless there is a junker kit out there. But has anyone converted their D model into a B and would happen to have spare tail parts that they didn't use? I'd be happy to pay for shipping and a little extra for the trouble. 

And then the next question is, does anyone have a way of repairing a canopy with a hairline crack in it? I guess I could TRY to vac-form one from the kit's but I'm afraid the crack would just copy into the vac-formed one and/or it could cause the crack to just break totally. Any help would be much appreciated.

Bill

17 minutes ago, flanker27 said:

The Kinetic boxing of the Academy 1/32 Hornet has parts for A/B/C/D including the canopy. You might want to ask if anyone is willing to part with theirs

Oh really?! I was not aware of that. So that kit is definitely a re-box of Academy? I remember it being a question but never saw a verdict one way or another. Yes, that would likely be a better chance of finding it. Thanks!

Edited by niart17
13 hours ago, niart17 said:

Oh really?! I was not aware of that. So that kit is definitely a re-box of Academy? I remember it being a question but never saw a verdict one way or another. Yes, that would likely be a better chance of finding it. Thanks!

I had something very similar happen...... I had backdated the Academy D kit to a B model. Towards the end of the build I dropped the canopy on the tile floor. Sure enough I ended up with a big crack right down the middle of the canopy. I tried for 1 1/2 years to get a replacement from Academy, but all that they had available was the A/C canopy, and didn't seem to grasp that there's a difference between the single and two seater canopies. One day I was lamenting on what to do on ARC, and someone (thank you, whoever it was!) mentioned to me that the Kinetic kit could be built as an A/B/C/or D. At the time it was a $140 kit, but I bought one anyway, and used the two seat canopy from it to finish off my B model, figuring that I'll just build the Kinetic kit as an A or C. So, yes, it is the Academy kit, and comes with some really nice decals too boot. I saw them on sale not too long ago for around $70. Good luck! Fred K.

rsz_1rsz_1rsz_dsc_2943.jpg

One other thing..... don't waste you're money on the Aires exhaust cans..... they're too small and have a big step between nozzle and rear end of the kit. Ask me how I know! I ended up throwing the nozzles away, and used the Aires burner cans with the kits nozzles. For a $35 item, you'd think that they'd actually fit, but nooooo......🤬🤬 Fred K.

I'd hoped that future would make it less noticeable. And in some ways it did, when viewing from directly on top of the scratch. But when looking from the side it's almost more noticeable because it's much clearer everywhere else and you can see the inside of the crack. I only applied from the outside. I may try to add to the inside as well and see if MAYBE that would help. But so far...no go no go.

Bill

7 minutes ago, torchf4 said:

I remember AFV did make a canopy for the 1/32 F-18D with the have glass effect. You can try finding if its still available.

Scratch that. Just did a search they made it in 1/48 but the part no starts with 32. Sorry mate! They do make one in 1/32 for the F not sure if its the same size though.