Hello from Down Under

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm Phil and I reside down here in Australia.

I've had a bit of a thing for manned space flight for a lot of years. The Apollo era and the mighty Saturn V being my favourites. I also at times have tried my hand at some modelling. Mostly sci fi but a few real space amongst them. Unfortunately I lost them all from an unforeseen happening but I have been thinking about maybe building another Saturn V again. I had built the Apogee 1/70 version some years back and was thinking of maybe getting another to replace the one I lost. If the 1/72 Dragon kit wasn't what it is then I'd have grabbed one of those but I actually think the Apogee would be a better choice with all the issues the Dragon version has? But that is just me..

Another thought has been popping into my head though which some on here sure seem to have an ability with. That thought is hiring someone with the ability to draw up some files that could be printed to build a nicely detailed Saturn V using Plastruct tubing and perhaps the Dragon CSM. I just have know ideas on the cost to have all the parts drawn as printable files or where to actually enquire about it. Here seems perhaps as good as place as any as you fellas know your stuff which is very important when it comes to such things. I know of someone down here in Australia that apparently has some good printing equipment but what he'd charge to do so I have know idea. I had mentioned something of my thought to him in the past and he said if I get some files he could do. We never spoke of the dollars though as that's where it would get scary I guess. I could also perhaps have the prints made as masters and then have those molded and castings produced to share with others out there that have the same issues I have with what is available in a largish scale. I'm only thinking about another stacked version as for me it's how it'd be displayed. 

Anyway it's just a thought at this stage but if anyone can chime in on what something drawn up along those lines may cost I'd be keen to hear.

2009_0112SaturnV0001.thumb.JPG.8954f58fdd1ff9cf8c7600291e6f94cc.JPG

With the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11 fast  approaching it really has the interest bubbling away again.

This was my 1/70 I build around 10 years back. Do I get another or pursue my crazy thought??

G'day mate. (I say that right?) Welcome.

You've certainly come to the right place. There are several people here with the skills and some that already have done a lot of the work you're asking about. I've done a few files for the Saturn V but nothing super great as it was just for my personal build and to learn my new printer processes. johnlove_mk_II has done some remarkable CAD work for a 1/72 scale Saturn V and I believe maybe Crackerjazz might have drawn up some for the Saturn V. I know he's done some other incredible cad work just not sure about the Saturn. I'd love to maybe jump in on some of it but not sure how much time I could devote to doing a huge amount of work on it. I'll let the other guys chime in and see. Perhaps a collaboration or something might work out as well?

Anyway, welcome again.

Bill

Thanks for the welcome, Bill and yeah you nailed it mate.

Appreciate the reply on what maybe a crazy idea. I have no skill when it comes to computers and what many seem to be able to not only do but do with incredible accuracy. It really is amazing what people can do in a computer these days and then turn into a physical rendition of that item.

I feel that people that know and love the subject that have that ability is my best avenue to seeing if it can be done rather than just having the CAD drawn by someone that can do it. It will really come down to if I can find someone that can and would be happy to do but of course what the dollar outlay will be that will decide whether it's a doable thing.

I really wouldn't be fussed if it was a single contribution or a group sort of thing when it comes to the CAD work as long as all were working to the same level of detail. If that was the case then either would work and as I mentioned I may be able to have the prints done as masters to get molded and castings done if others were keen to go down the same path I'm thinking of for a Saturn V. A group build of some nice and accurate 1/72 birds would be pretty cool!

Anyway thanks again for the welcome and we'll see if these leads to anything I guess.

Cheers mate.

• 4 weeks later...

Phil...welcome aboard! I bought the 72nd Dragon Saturn V prebuild and yes it has some errors but in the cabinet with the Launcher base and the 3-D LUT print behind it I must say it's pretty awesome! I'm 5'9" tall and it's almost as tall as me. I did order some replacement parts from Martins-Models (a guy in the UK) for my 72nd unbuilt Saturn and his 72nd scale Saturn 1B using the Dragon SLA upper stack. I'm a big Apollo fan...my dad worked in that program.

When I was stationed at KADENA AB, Okinawa we'd fly to Australia about 4 times a year. Primary spot was Townsville but did make it to Perth for about 3 weeks of flying in a joint exercise with our SF guys and the Australian SAS. We moved them around the Outback in the MC-130 and would transload with the MH-53J guys that came down from Korea. Lots of Castlemain XXXX and Strongbow if I remember correctly! LOL! 

Cheers...Ron

Thanks for the welcome, Ron and yes I do believe those would be some of the preferred choices by the locals there. Your memory serves you well! You've visited places in my own country that I have never been but I made up for a bit of it by coming over and seeing a bit of yours.

With your dad working in the program it'd be pretty easy to get hooked on it all. Anyone growing up at the time I think would have been pretty blown away by it all as it was. 

That Dragon kit for 99.99% of people out there is a good thing mate! It really is a lot of kit you was getting for your money and  there is no doubt whatsoever on what it is. The problems it has would have been nice if they were not present but it's not like anything is really standing out as completely wrong and something that size that is around the mark most people will be happy with. I'm just not one of them but some days I wish I was!!