Badger Velocity Airbrush clogged?

Hi all. PREFACE:

I have a Badger Renegade brush and usually it works great. I try to run cleaner through it each time I finish painting. I also almost exclusively use Vallejo Model Air paints. Acrylics are easy cleanup so I tend to stick with them. I do realize they tend to dry fast and clog, which may be the problem.

ISSUE: Lately, while painting I’ve noticed a consistent stream of paint coming out with intermittent splatters. The main stream is fine, but the splatters are occurring every couple of seconds. I have checked the needle and feel no burr on the end. I just tried adding paint thinner to the paint in the cup and mixing it with a brush but it still splattered.

I know I’m not giving you all much to work with, but do you think it’s a airbrush issue or a paint issue? Oh, and my PSI is usually between 20-30. I have always had a problem thinning paints. It seems when I do the consistency drops to that of milk and there is really no paint and just colored water coming out.

Any suggestions welcome.

- Jim

I've heard an unpolished needle can cause this.  I struggle sometimes to keep it sharp and polished.

Also recommend paint retarder, highly recommended for any acrylic paints that I've ever worked with. 

Oh, another tip is to prime your airbrush.   Run some thinner through the brush just before you begin, then add your paint and then test before applying to the model.  This  also helps from paint drying on the tip of the airbrush.

If paint is collecting on the tip protector, try airbrushing without the protector.  It's not always required, but you need to be more careful handling the airbrush.  Watch for paint build up, but will happen less with the tip protector removed.

Edited by Jonathan S

I've put my needle in the chuck of a drill and ran it with 2000 wet sand paper between my figure tips.  Very careful when doing this as you don't want to stab yourself.  It is painful to bend the tip of the needle bends when it hits bone and the gets a barbed hook to pull it out.  So start by holding it mid way up the needle and somewhat slowly, but always moving it outward and away from the tip.  When returning to repeat (not recommended more than twice) swing your hand away and around to avoid  the tip.  Then repeat with again with a cloth and a metal polish.

If you have the money, buy an airbrush needle sharpener.  They go for around $50.

I'd like to hear what others do as well.

Edited by Jonathan S

Thanks for the tip.

I’m curious if this is my problem. Considering the spray is fine usually with intermittent splatters, I wonder if it’s less the brush and actually old paint? I will take a brush cleaner/pipe cleaner to the airbrush tonight. I’ll be honest, this entire thing is frustrating. I have a Super Hornet I just finished blackbasing and I really want to do VFA-41 proud!

Try stripping down the airbrush and give it a thorough cleaning/soaking.  If you have some dry paint somewhere causing this as well.  Don't soak parts with O-rings.  I hear newer O-rings stand up better now to solvents, but still best to avoid getting solvents on the O-rings.

8 hours ago, Jonathan S said:

Try stripping down the airbrush and give it a thorough cleaning/soaking.  If you have some dry paint somewhere causing this as well.  Don't soak parts with O-rings.  I hear newer O-rings stand up better now to solvents, but still best to avoid getting solvents on the O-rings.

I would second this as you stated that you "try to run thinner through it each time" you finish painting. I would give a through strip down and cleaning and then get in the habit of running thinner through it every time you are finished using it and stripping it down and cleaning it if periodically. Especially if it has been a while since you last used it, as paint will dry and set inside and cause a slew of problems, including the one you mentioned.

Thanks all for each suggestion! I THINK I found the culprit:

while cleaning the brush last night I removed the tip and noticed a small split at the end. Never thought that could happen and I’m not sure how it did happen. I ordered a new tip (among some other pieces). That puts my model building on hold for a while. Shucks. 😞

I have 2x tips and needles for both of my airbrushes in the repair kit. They really incapacitate the airbrush when they fail. I check the tip and needle under good magnification during periodic full strip and cleaning sessions.