Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
CorsairMan

Sweet Stash Shots!

Recommended Posts

Can't celebrate...got two rooms with NO safe access to the doors plus more in boxes in the garage......ūüėģ¬†¬†

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, RCAFFAN said:

Can't celebrate...got two rooms with NO safe access to the doors plus more in boxes in the garage......ūüėģ¬†¬†

Bah! You are living the dream!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I`ve often wondered how many bottles of glue it would take to establish such a stash. I`ve never once been able to come to a conclusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, habu2 said:

 :beer4:

 

pTU7xyS.jpg

 

Ahhh, 'tis a beautiful site it is. :clap2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's always that one out of production kit of a subject that we would love to do but can never find one of the kits, at least not at a reasonable price. Now we know why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Whiskey said:

There's always that one out of production kit of a subject that we would love to do but can never find one of the kits, at least not at a reasonable price. Now we know why.

 

So....  what’s the one kit you’d love to do but can never find?   

 

I was watching a Special Hobby X-15A-2 on ebay but it wasn’t worth over $130 to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2018 at 11:01 PM, habu2 said:

 :beer4:

 

pTU7xyS.jpg

I'm liking that model in the lower middle.¬†¬†ūüėŹ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, fasteagle12 said:

I'm liking that model in the lower middle.¬†¬†ūüėŹ

 

Many of us older modelers would like that model but realized it's way too expensive for those of us on limited budgets :whistle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a couple of shots of my stash on that site!  I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mlicari said:

There are a couple of shots of my stash on that site!  I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

 

Mike

It’s a great thing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somewhat off topic but no matter what size of stash you have, you should be responsible enough to have a properly drafted will and POA(s) done for you and your spouse.  For a nominal amount of money you get to make these key decisions and save your spouse a tremendous amount of time when dealing with your affairs. 

 

Ignore it and the government or a judge gets to have a say after your spouse wastes far more money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a stash wimp, because I only have about 10 kits and since I will never build 4 of them, I wish I only had about 5 or 6.  When you build only one model per year and you're 64 years old like I am, a massive stash of kits doesn't really make much sense if you do the math.

 

Having said that, I have a TON of aftermarket resin and decals for these and other kits, because these cottage manufacturers are always going belly up and almost everything I have is now "OOP" and valuable to somebody.  Black Box, Cutting Edge, Sierra Hotel, Two Bobs, you name it, I have a few goodies that will likely enhance some of my future builds.  For instance, my next build will be the Kitty Hawk F-5E which I am now buying and I have a Black Box cockpit for the Hasegawa kit in my stash already.  Will it fit?  I don't know, but at least I have the BB kit to find out.

 

Cheers,

Chuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chuck540z3 said:

I am a stash wimp, because I only have about 10 kits and since I will never build 4 of them, I wish I only had about 5 or 6.  When you build only one model per year and you're 64 years old like I am, a massive stash of kits doesn't really make much sense if you do the math.

 

 

This! Chuck is damn right.

I'm turning 25, but there are nearly 70 kits (1/48 aircraft all of them) in my stash already, and I wonder whether I'll get to building them all before the Grim Reaper comes pay me a visit...

Besides, there should be rules for a stash that big:

 

1. Can't stack up more than 4 to 5 boxes if there's not a shelf sandwiched in between in the rest of the pile. Kits stacked up by ten or more kits will suffer the flattening of fuselages or wing structures. 

2. Kits should be sorted out by the scale in the stash.

3. Kits should be sorted out by the size of their boxes, bigger boxes being stacked at the base of the pile.

4. Kits are stored without decals and/or clear parts.

5. Stash ought to be dusted once a fortnight.

6. SWMBOs and sweathearts are NOT allowed into the stash room or the place where the stash is located.

7. A new-tool kit of certain subject is ONLY added to the stash after the older kit of that very same subject has been sold.

8. Stash should be darkened and air conditioned.

 

What other rules can you think of?

Cheers,

 

Onigiri

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Doppelgänger said:

7. A new-tool kit of certain subject is ONLY added to the stash after the older kit of that very same subject has been sold.

 

Ha! Too funny! :rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

..........

8. Stash should be darkened and air conditioned.

 

What other rules can you think of?

 

 

Regardless of your stash size, let’s talk about stash preservation.  I almost started a thread on this topic a while back.

 

For reasons that should be obvious, temperature and humidity should be regulated.  Garages and attics should be avoided. Sunlight will also fade box art if you are concerned about that.

 

I open every kit I buy as soon as I get home. In addition to a quick inventory for missing or broken parts, there is the all-important aspect of styrene fondling... ¬†¬†ūüė鬆¬†I¬†keep a supply of ziploc bags and cookie sheet¬†paper, all clear parts get put in a ziploc to minimize scratching. Another small ziploc to capture any small parts that have fallen off the sprue. ¬†Decals are also placed in a separate ziploc and, if it may be a rare sheet, I cut a similar sized sheet of cookie sheet¬†paper to put in the ziploc so the decals won‚Äôt stick to the plastic bag. ¬†I got this idea from the protective sheets some manufacturers thoughtfully provide iin their kits.¬†

 

Aftermarket decals get a similar treatment, and sorted groups are kept in larger ziploc bags, and those stored in plastic shoebox containers, and those are kept in a closet away from sunlight.

 

One final ‚Äústash threat‚ÄĚ I‚Äôm still battling is the dreaded silverfish. ¬†These buggars will eat decals, instruction sheets, boxes.... ruining them. ¬†I dust my stash storage shelves¬†with DTE but these b*stards still occasionally hold a buffet in a random kit box. ¬†I used to use post-it notes to mark kit boxes and for notes on instruction sheets but soon learned the ‚Äúglue‚ÄĚ on post-it notes attracts silvrfish like¬†crack cocaine does a junky. ¬†Fortunately rodents are not an issue in my house.¬†

 

Share your stash preservation techniques and ideas so we can all learn something to protect our stashes. 

 

edit: of course none of this would be necessary if I would just build the d*mn kit before buying another. And another. And another.....

 

.

 

Edited by habu2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mstor said:

Ha! Too funny! :rofl:

 

Hi Mark! :wave:

Did that with a lot of kits, lately.

Sold my old Smer 1/48 Su-22M in favour of the Kitty Hawk kit

Sold my old Italeri 1/48 UH-1D in favour of the Kitty Hawk kit

Sold my old Esci 1/48 MiG-23? in favour of the Trumpy kit

Sold my old Academy 1/48 Su-27 in favour of the Hobby Boss kit

Sold my old Lindberg 1/48 MiG-25 in favour of the Kitty Hawk kit

Sold my old Esci 1/48 Kfir in favour of the Kinetic and Wingman kits

Sold my old Tamiya 1/48 Sea Harrier FRS.1 in favour of the Kinetic kit

Sold my old Heller 1/48 Mirage IIIC/B in favour of the Kinetic kit

Didn't sell my old 1/48 Academy FB-111 kit and bought the Hobby Boss kit in order to kitbash it

Didn't sell my old Monogram 1/48 F-14A to replace the fat-arse in the AMK kit when it's released some day

 

And still did that with a lot of kits that don't quite come to mind right now

 

15 hours ago, habu2 said:

One final ‚Äústash threat‚ÄĚ I‚Äôm still battling is the dreaded silverfish. ¬†These buggars will eat decals, instruction sheets, boxes.... ruining them. ¬†I dust my stash storage shelves¬†with DTE but these b*stards still occasionally hold a buffet in a random kit box. ¬†I used to use post-it notes to mark kit boxes and for notes on instruction sheets but soon learned the ‚Äúglue‚ÄĚ on post-it notes attracts silvrfish like¬†crack cocaine does a junky. ¬†Fortunately rodents are not an issue in my house.¬†

 

I don't smoke, but I use to buy a pack of Marlboro once in a while because I was told silverfish hate nicotine. Get the cigarettes out and tear them apart. Smear the tobacco strands round the kit boxes, then get the filter and put one inside each box.

It works like a charm, don't ask me why.

Cheers,

 

Onigiri 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doppelgänger said:

Hi Mark! :wave:

Did that with a lot of kits, lately.

Sold my old Smer 1/48 Su-22M in favour of the Kitty Hawk kit

Sold my old Italeri 1/48 UH-1D in favour of the Kitty Hawk kit

Sold my old Esci 1/48 MiG-23? in favour of the Trumpy kit...

 

Hey Onigiri,

I guess I can laugh because I don't have that many old kits. I had sold or gave away my whole stash (mostly 1/32) a number of years ago. Didn't think I'd ever build again due to health reasons. Fortunately that changed and I've started building up my stash again (FUN!). The older kits I have usually have a boat load of aftermarket so I have decided to keep and build them. Got the old Smer 1/48 Su-22 M4 with just about everything I can find and kept it after I got the Kitty Hawk one. Got the Eduard boxing of the old Heller Mirage 2000C and then got the Kinetic one too. Got a Italeri/Esci Mirage F-1 and will probably get the new one being released by, ahhhh, darn, is it Kinetic? I have an old Heller Mirage IV but I doubt anyone will ever release a new build of that (now wait, someone will do it). An Old Airfix Buccaneer. Lot's of old Hasegawa F-4E/EJ's that will, hopefully, soon be obsolete when Z-M releases theirs. I'll still keep the Hasegawa ones though. Lots of old Hasegawa F-15s which I think are fine even though I have a few by GWH too.

That's it for old kits (I think, probably forgot one or two). Of course, every kit becomes an old kit over time and who knows what new releases shall come along. I'd really like to see some of the Trumpy stuff get replaced. Most of it is inaccurate as hell.

Now that I think of it, getting rid of your stash and getting a new one is a lot of fun and cathartic. Unfortunately, it is costly. But I have sure enjoyed it. I'll have to make a count and let you know how many kits I have now. Never have had very large stashes, but enough to keep me busy for a long time.

Cheers,

Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2018 at 12:12 PM, Mstor said:

Hey Onigiri,

I had sold or gave away my whole stash (mostly 1/32) a number of years ago. Didn't think I'd ever build again due to health reasons. Fortunately that changed and I've started building up my stash again (FUN!).

 

 

Hi Markey! :wave:

This is the best thing to have learnt about; I'm really glad that you got well and were able to go back to modelling again.

Modelling is such a wonderful hobby I can't think of my life without.

Cheers bro!

 

1 hour ago, ChristopherOcas said:

Has someone Lindberg 1/48 MiG-25 here? Ready to buy. 

 

Hi Chris,

Welcome on board!

Just out of curiosity; what do you want the old Lindberg Foxbat kit for? Even the inaccurate Kitty Hawk kit just as it is is a quantum leap by comparison.

Cheers,

 

Onigiri 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×