MIA, the Original AH-1G Cobra!!

A Model site has a Section called. AH-1 Cobra and notability missing is the first Cobra, the AH-1G that flew in Vietnam!!

Geesh!!  When will they ever learn!!  Many decals just waiting for a kit to put them on!!

Kittyhawk????

Bo

Just now, jabow said:

A Model site has a Section called. AH-1 Cobra and notability missing is the first Cobra, the AH-1G that flew in Vietnam!!

Geesh!!  When will they ever learn!!  Many decals just waiting for a kit to put them on!!

Kittyhawk????

Bo

Yeah, agreed.   Probably the prettiest helo ever built (especially compared to the later F / S versions) and literally hundreds of cool decal options.  Really surprised that no one got around to releasing a new-tool 35th scale kit of the Cobra. 

5 hours ago, 11bee said:

Yeah, agreed.   Probably the prettiest helo ever built (especially compared to the later F / S versions) and literally hundreds of cool decal options.  Really surprised that no one got around to releasing a new-tool 35th scale kit of the Cobra. 

AND, 48th scale!!

Bo

Fireball Models by Joseph Osborn made a some decal back around 2009-2010 when he was up and running. Really super quality stuff. I have a few of Cobra Company's resin conversions for the Fujimi AH-1J to use those decals on.

There are very good kits in 1/72 from Special Hobby and there was talk they would scale them up to 1/48 like they do with some of their stuff. You should talk to them and push them on......

Edited by RCAFFAN
12 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Fireball Models by Joseph Osborn made a some decal back around 2009-2010 when he was up and running. Really super quality stuff. I have a few of Cobra Company's resin conversions for the Fujimi AH-1J to use those decals on.

Fireball Modelworks is still up and running, he is just not doing helo items anymore except for what's on his shapeways store. As I recall the decal page is still accessable for reference. He does offer a nice line of auto accessories.  

On 12/8/2018 at 7:17 PM, RCAFFAN said:

There are very good kits in 1/72 from Special Hobby and there was talk they would scale them up to 1/48 like they do with some of their stuff. You should talk to them and push them on......

I've seen their 72tooth one and it IS nice!!  Hope they DO scale up that subject AND the Northrup N3PB as well!!  

"If it ain't 48th, it ain't crap!!"

Bo

Edited by jabow
typo
On 12/8/2018 at 12:48 PM, jabow said:

AND, 48th scale!!

Bo

Most definitely! 

On 12/8/2018 at 4:27 PM, Whiskey said:

Fireball Models by Joseph Osborn made a some decal back around 2009-2010 when he was up and running.

A real shame. Another one of those, "Should have bought the stuff when had the chance." moments.
Don't know the reason why. But really bummed that I missed out.

59 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

I bought a lot from him but yeah, wish I would have picked up some more stuff.

Joe is a fantastic guy.  He got wind that I was trying to build a model of an US-2B Tracker that crashed in a nearby town when I was kid and came through with a fantastic custom decal sheet that enabled me to finally complete this long-planned project.  Think he charged me all of $7 for the sheet!

Like others I am sad that Fireball no londer has his helicopter line. I only have a few of his sheets and a couple of his resin update sets. Now I wish I had picked up more.

I started to do that many years ago for several other resin and decal producers and it has proved to have been a good idea as a couple have gone away. For example, I have many sets by Black Box and they have now closed up. However having said that, I heard that the moulds/masters were bought by Squadron for their True Details line. Paragon is another line.

Anyway I sure hope that Special Hobby scales the Cobra up to 1/48. I did my conversion years ago. It is close but could be better.

• 11 months later...
15 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

You could probably ask him. He's out of the aircraft business but he still does cars.

https://m.facebook.com/fireballmodelworks/

Oh and Special Hobby is releasing a 1/48 version of their smaller AH-1G. Supposedly.

I've asked him already and he's not doing planes or helos anymore.   Just cars.  Though I have ordered a lot of car parts from him!