Post -War USAF C-46 Commando photos?

Hi,

Does anyone out there know of a decent source of post-war USAF C-46 Commando photos?  I'm toying with the idea of starting the old Williams Brothers kits soon and I think I'd like to do a post-war USAF machine.  Trouble is, references seem to be pretty non-existent...  I just ordered a copy of the "In Action" book on the C-46 on the off chance it has any.  Anyone know of any others?

Google turned up a few intriguing photos here (scroll almost to the bottom):

http://www.dhc-2.com/Monthan_Memories.html

I'm not sure what the unit badges on the tails are?  

I'm sure these birds would have been used by various ANG squadrons also?

Thanks in advance,

-Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Gents, no problem.  I figured that link was old news to most so I am glad it was new to you both.

My copy of the "In Action" book arrived a week or so ago.  It's the only book on the C-46 that I am aware of?  Upon further inspection, it seems that the insignia on the tail of at least one of the boneyard Commandos from the link is either the 10th Air Force or 14th Air Force logo.  The Squadron book shows a/c with both of these  nice round badges on several post-war USAF C-46s.  

I guess my question now is does anyone know of a decal source for either 10th or 14th A.F. logos that would be about the right size for a 1/72 C-46?  Or will I have to source these from a custom decal maker?  I checked my stash and struck out.  I even sent Mark of Wolfpak fame a suggestion for a post-war C-46 scheme for a 2019 release to go along with the other post-war B-25 and A-26 decals he's recently put out.   I suggested the West Virginia ANG scheme from the Squadron book, it is quite colorful - black undersides, a white fuselage, natural metal upper wings, fin, and the tops of the horizontal stabs.  This is finished off with a red stripe along the fuselage sides.  So fingers crossed for that one.  Judging by the nature of the old Williams kit, this may be a long involved build so I have time to wait...

-Derek

Edited by viking73
On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:44 AM, viking73 said:

I'm sure these birds would have been used by various ANG squadrons also?

Thanks in advance,

-Derek

129th ARS CA ANG

130th AS WV ANG

135th ARS MD ANG

140th ARS PA ANG

143rd ARS RI ANG

145th ATS OH ANG

150th ATS NJ ANG