1/48 Tamiya F-14A Tomcat, VF-111

Hey Nerds! This is my second Tamiya Tomcat and I can't stress how much I love this freaking kit. The decals are from none other than Furball Aero Designs VF-111 sheet. This was also my first use of Mission Model Paints and I highly recommend these paints if you use acrylics. Other aftermarket used was Verlinden ejection seats and Eduard Brassin wheels. 

M9of1AFh.jpg

wa7pnrph.jpg

nDtmvlvh.jpg

nvixW88h.jpg

joF9OtKh.jpg

pSQaXOth.jpg

i0XZms8h.jpg

Ex9bAT3h.jpg

aagczn9h.jpg

ZeJI48Uh.jpg

-Xavi

Could you share your weathering technique as well as how you accentuated the panel lines so subtly?  Your work is fantastic and it's exactly the kind of naturally weathered look I'm trying to emulate on my own US Navy subjects.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Thanks dudes! I really appreciate all the comments.

On 12/11/2018 at 4:41 AM, JackMan said:

Could you share your weathering technique as well as how you accentuated the panel lines so subtly?  Your work is fantastic and it's exactly the kind of naturally weathered look I'm trying to emulate on my own US Navy subjects.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

JackMan - I weathered it in several layers over  several sessions. The first thing I did was black base the gull grey. Then I used raw umber, burnt sienna, and mars black oil paints mixed in different combinations and thinned down and  to a pretty watery consistency then built up layers by stippling with a stiff natural hair brush and blended out with a soft sponge with a little bit more thinner on it. Then once the oil paint fully cured after a few days I spot painted with acrylics. Be sure to let your oils fully dry before applying the acrylic since they dry at different speeds and can ruin your finish. Then I repeated the process until I had something that looked good to my eye. The key is to be subtle and work slowly. Navy jets don't get dirty in a day so it makes sense to me that the same should happen with a model. It's something that takes practice. Also references are just as an important tool as your paints. They set the guidelines for what you want to accomplish. 

It also helps that was I an art major with a focus on painting. 

-Xavi

Edited by xavi84
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...