Spraying greenhouse windows

Hi guys,

Can you share with me the best way to paint greenhouse windows for my Huey build?

I have some Tamiya X-25 Clear Green and want to spray through airbrush but have no idea how in terms of whether it needs thinning/what to thin it with/what ratios. I tried to thin with a bit of turpentine which is all I have but i t doesn't appear to have mixed together at all. I am relatively new to airbrush and have never sprayed greenhouse windows.

thanks

Chris

Edited by UH-1Mad

Chris,

I use two paints for my Huey greenhouses. First is the testors clear green acrylic, this is a very good paint and can be sprayed straight out of the bottle, the acrylic is good because if you screw it you just clean the part and spray it again. The second paint is the tamiya clear green, this needs to be diluted with the tamiya thinner but if you dont have it you can use sherwin williams opex dual lacquer acrylic 203 thinner. I use both and they work well. I used the tamiya green with my last Huey build.

Rod.

The safest approach to thin for airbrushing is to use the paint manufacturer's paint thinner. For Tamiya acrylics, that means their thinner. Don't use other thinners until you know what correct thinning looks like and what other thinners might be appropriate for the paint's chemistry.

For cleaning your airbrush, hardware store lacquer thinner is cheap and effective. But don't use in for thinning paint!

Tamiya clear green. ratio is 80/20. thin coats required to build up color. Clean tamiya paint and airbrush with windex. You should coat your clear parts with future first. If you make mistake clean the clear part with windex and start over. I have heard that the cans work well as Gino mentioned but never used them.  Good luck.

Oliver

That's not needed. If you're switching from one paint chemistry to another, do ensure the airbrush is very clean so you avoid adverse interactions.

Having written that, I do use 2 airbrushes, but that's based on coverage. I use an airbrush with a 0.5mm tip for priming, base coats, and clear coats and another with a 0.3mm tip for detail painting.

Thanks for the tip on the nozzle widths, I've wondered about that. I have a cheap airbrush that I have been learning with for the last few months but I'm ready to buy a decent one now. I ran some of the Tamiya green trough it with cheap turpentine to thin but it didn't seem to mix/thin at all and basically clogged my airbrush and it might be dead..lesson learned.

On 12/12/2018 at 12:30 PM, DonSS3 said:

Do you paint that on or dip the part in it (ala Future)?

Is a marker just add a hand of future let it dry and then past the marker

look  I just did it on this Huey I am about to finish 

10h8ejZ.jpg

Edited by CharlieUH-1H
  • 2 weeks later...

I know that I'm late to the game, but I use Tamiya Clear Green thinned ALOT with Tamiya thinner. I test the mix on clear plastic sheet before I spray the actual piece. I spray the underside ONLY, as well. Has worked well for me in the past. I also use a Badger 150 airbrush as well. Best of luck on your project.

Regards

Christopher

IMG_4644_opt (2).jpg