Leading Edge decals - application problems - help!

I am hoping to get some guidance on successfully applying some troublesome Leading Edge decals. Please understand this is not a rant or a complaint - just looking for some help to successfully apply these decals.

I have been  building models for almost 50 years now and have completed over 100 airliner models so I am not a novice when it comes to applying decals but these problems have almost forced me to admit defeat.

chuck540z3 in

wrote an excellent primer on decal application but the problems I am having go beyond the basics and I am hoping the collective wisdom of the group will provide some guidance/answers.

The decal sheet in question is #48.37 CAF CF-18 439 Tigermeet special 1992 (but have had the same troubles with other Leading Edge products) and the problems are that the decals shatter and that I cannot get the decals to conform to the model's surface - whether it be a gentle curve or a complicated surface like the top of a CF-18 tail. If I am able to get a complete decal onto the model it so stiff that it will droop not drape over the model.

Since the decals tended to shatter I coated the sheet with MicroScale liquid decal film. This stopped the shattering for the most part but now I was presented with a new problem - the decals now had a strong tendency to curl up. Well, that should be easy enough to fix I thought - I'll just hit them with some decal softener. Unfortunately, after repeated applications of a number of different brands and types (Micro-set, Micro-Sol,  Solvaset, Tamiya Mark Fit strong and Mr Mark Softer) the decals were no closer to conforming than when I first applied them. 

I have had limited success on some decals by gentle repeated applications of a soft rag that had been dipped in boiling water but this does not address the problems with shattering or curling.

In researching this problem I found one reference that indicated there might be a small window of opportunity to apply a decal between the time it has been coated with MicroScale liquid decal film and the time it is applied to the model after the coating has dried. Has anyone any experience in that regard?  I generally coat the decal sheet when I begin construction and it may be several weeks/months before the model is ready for decaling.

So... any insight or suggestions?

Could be a time issue. One thing I found that helps is using HOT, very hot water for Leading Edge. Most of their stuff goes on just fine. Used almost all of the sheets. But I did find the 1/48 Lancaster and the Tiger Hornets do have this problem. On the Tiger there was a few areas that never settled right and I just painted by hand the trouble spots.

thank you to phantom and Mstor for responding.  My experience with Leading Edge pretty much duplicates phantom's but these tigermeet decals have presented the greatest challenge. I did email Dave at Leading Edge about the problems I was having. He was very quick to reply and to advise that the ink mix used in the earlier prints of these sheets was different and would become brittle over time.  He was not able to suggest anything to salvage the sheet I had on hand but very kindly offered a replacement sheet. This is customer service above and beyond - it's a shame that producing Canadian themed decals hasn't been as successful as hoped.

I have a number of his CF-188 sheets (I just LOVE colorful aircraft). I'd get more, but I know I already have more kits than I have life left.

Oh this life so short and this hobby so long to learn (or finish)  :hmmm: