Antenna mast and aerial run configuration for F4U-1A Bu 17883 Corasir

Hi. I am building a AFV 1/144 F4U-1A Corsair and I intend to build it as one flown by Maj Pappy Boyington when he commanded the VMF-214 Balck Sheep Squadron. It was Bu 17883. In my research I came across several types of antenna configuration and aerial cable run for this bird. For example, the graphic picture depicted in Wikipedia shown it had both forward and rear antenna mast with no aerial cable run to the forward mast. It also depicted a tiny whip antenna on the belly just aft of the main wing. I have also come across "883" shown without the forward mast and a different aerial cable run and no whip antenna on the belly. 

Appreciate it if any of you ARCers can help to clarify the correct antenna mast and aerial cable run configuration for "883". I intend to have it built with the updated blue outline for the roundel markings. Thanks.

S K Loh

Hi Milo. Thank you very much for the detailed info. It is certainly informative and useful. I had actually started to build 17883 based on the pic from wikipedia. Looks like I will have to do some re-work to get it corrected i.e. removal of the front antenna mast. Will also have to apply a new roundel on the underside. Noticed that 883 has its roundel place further away from the wingtip, closer to the cartridge ejection port while most Corsairs had underside roundel placed nearer to the wingtip and with the horizontal white bar over the red/amber/green identification/recognition light indicators.

S K Loh

DSCF2664 resized.jpg

DSCF2663 resized.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A Happy New Year to one and all ARCers.

I have finally completed my build of the P-40B Warhawk flown by Boyington when he was with the AVG Flying Tigers in 1941 and one of the F4U-1A  when he commanded VMF 214 Black Sheep Squadron in the Solomons in late 1943.

My special thanks to fellow ARCer, Milo for the valuable info to enable me to incorporate the correct antenna/cable run configuration. I was not able to implement a short post to the end of the pitot tube but glue the aerial cable directly to the pitot tube instead.

During my search on Pappy Boyington, I came to know that he flew with the AVG Flying Tigers in 1941. I decided to built a P-40B Warhawk with the markings of his bird "21" of the 1st Pursuit Squadron "Adam &Eves". Glad that my LHS happens to have an old AFV P-40B kit. Unlike the Corsair much modifications/enhancements had to be done on it to make look reasonably correct.

Today (03 Jan here in tropical Singapore) marks the 75th anniversary of Boyington's last engagement of flying with VMF 214. He was shot down over in Rabual that morning flying BuNo 17915 (came to know after I have done the preparatory work to build BuNo 17883). He remained a POW in Japan till the end of war.

I remember the TV mini series "Baa Baa Black Sheep" in the late 70s . This is my tribute to him. 

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg