Saturn V question and Future Build.

12 hours ago, Wombat said:

habu2, do you have any more pictures like those excellent fairing ones you posted in that other thread showing some more of the heat shield inside the engine fairings?

I have extensively photographed the Saturn Vs displayed at JSC, KSC and USSRC but very little of my efforts are online. 

My ‘computer room’ is under renovation and my pc / images are stored during this time. Currently limited to mobile devices to access the net. Maybe after the holidays when time and resources are more available. 

I’ve also photographed most of the manned US spacecraft in museums, another resource which mostly remains hidden on my pc....

10 hours ago, habu2 said:

I have extensively photographed the Saturn Vs displayed at JSC, KSC and USSRC but very little of my efforts are online. 

My ‘computer room’ is under renovation and my pc / images are stored during this time. Currently limited to mobile devices to access the net. Maybe after the holidays when time and resources are more available. 

I’ve also photographed most of the manned US spacecraft in museums, another resource which mostly remains hidden on my pc....

No problems. If the pictures you posted in the other thread are anything to go by then I'm sure not only myself but everyone would love to see some more of them. You obviously know your thing when it comes to cameras! 

One of the pictures you posted already I was using a long with some others I found on the net for the heat shield panel pattern in the engine fairings. Even the picture Hotdog posted have all lead me to seeing this as the pattern of the panels and what I'll pass on to have added onto the Weeks drawing. Be it correct or not that is how I've been seeing things.

A very rough sketch.

20181216_132305.jpg.0f87ff02c663dae66e923b9730917044.jpg

As you can see I'm not one that can do things in a computer but you get the idea.

G'day all. I've been looking for good reference pictures of the Saturn V and have found the pictures on John Duncan's Apollo-Saturn site to be really helpful. I'm curious if there are other similar sites out there with that calibre of detail pictures that John's site has? I'd like to find some detailed images of the area's that can't be seem on the Saturn V stages that are on display. For example bar a couple of pic's of one of umbilical connect on the thrust structure I haven't seen any good pictures of that area. I have found some pictures from back in the day with them connected from searching but not much in the way of unconnected.

I'm just trying to provide the person that will be doing some files next year some images to go along with the David Weeks drawings he'll be using just so he's clear on how the detail actually looks on the real thing. He already knows the subject pretty well it's just to assist him with some imagery really. 

Were getting close to Christmas so I would like to wish you all a merry one and hope Santa brings you all some Real Space goodness this year.

Thanks Hotdog. That picture of the umbilical that sits below the tunnel on the S-IC at Huntsville looks spot on to the couple of pic's taken of S-IC-15. The other next to it which is also shown in that LIFE image with the large hole I'm curious about. It does appear to be on the thrust structures so what is it's purpose? I mean there is no tail service mast that aligns with that position so does anyone have any ideas on what it's function is?

I've been looking more for some pictures and came across this one during construction of the stage.

6416511(9).jpg.0d4f8b94eb69f9bbe556c11427b2d189.jpg

Not sure if it is a test stage or flight stage but it's the first image I've stumbled across showing the two umbilical's located at position III.

17 hours ago, habu2 said:

Based on the roll pattern I’d say that’s 500F so the details may be different than a flight article. 

Who cares about 500F? I was just showing the umbilical panel. If you have a better reference photo of the umbilical panels that do not involve a 500F, fire away.

Researching continues on the subject.

On that umbilical,  S-IC-5 looks the same as 500F so is on the flight stages.

y4mtSwDAweUIg7KG1y5jTNCMQ9vAWXfbBMGpmOuU

Just what is it's purpose?

This is a pic of S-IC-15 from John Duncan's Apollo-Saturn site and gives a clue.

y4mEZROxt-cq9NGg51rp2-8vMaBv8rDnvlmrxWjo

I've also just ordered this and with just over 1000 pic's on it. It should have some good ref on it hopefully.

Untitled.jpg.b682e614290fd5844b1626c762d80db5.jpg

That would have been really something, Ron! For you and all that got to experience a launch I'm sure it would be something that will stay with you forever and you got to see three. Just seeing something so big rocketing into the sky would have been incredible and the noise once it reached you I have no doubt was pounding everyone pretty good. I got to see a shuttle launch from the causeway back in the late 90's and even that far away it was still pretty loud once the noise reached us. So a mighty Saturn V would have been just incredible with the grunt it's first stage was throwing out.

Phil

10 hours ago, habu2 said:

Even though I’m a huge “space” fan I’ve never seen a manned launch. For a kid growing up on a farm in rural Kansas it was never practical. 😞

Rural Kansas....be glad you didn't see a Titan II coming out of a silo from a Strategic Missile Wing on it's way to the Soviet Union! When I was stationed at Altus AFB in Oklahoma there were abandoned Atlas missile silo's out in the middle of nowhere. 

Cheers...Ron

20 hours ago, Wombat said:

That would have been really something, Ron! For you and all that got to experience a launch I'm sure it would be something that will stay with you forever and you got to see three. Just seeing something so big rocketing into the sky would have been incredible and the noise once it reached you I have no doubt was pounding everyone pretty good. I got to see a shuttle launch from the causeway back in the late 90's and even that far away it was still pretty loud once the noise reached us. So a mighty Saturn V would have been just incredible with the grunt it's first stage was throwing out.

Phil

Apollo 10 was the only launch from PAD-39B...after 9 launched they put 10 on PAD-B so they could PAD-A set back up and repaired for Apollo 11. My dad was at the viewing area by the VAB and mom and me and my sister watched it from Patrick AFB on the beach. I was amazed how something 363 feet tall could "clear the tower" that fast! And then as it climbed through MAX-Q the crackle of those 5 F-1 engines was something to hear. I later grew up and went in the Air Force and was a loadmaster on the C-5A and I hauled a bunch of "payload items" for the shuttle down to the Cape. But I never saw a Shuttle launch live. I was just lucky to be at the right place at the right time with my dad being assigned to NASA at Houston and witnessing history being made with every launch. 

Where did you get that Saturn V hi-res library CD? That looks really interesting.

Cheers...Ron

12 hours ago, habu2 said:

Even though I’m a huge “space” fan I’ve never seen a manned launch. For a kid growing up on a farm in rural Kansas it was never practical. 😞

That's a shame but you still may before you are done hopefully. Just wont be whats gone before but I think manned spaceflight is pretty exciting no matter what they are riding.

In saying that I don't know that you could ever top a Saturn V launch? That one was and I think always will be the king during my lifetime. I'll have too settle for seeing a shuttle launch but that along with everything else you get to see while there was pretty damn impressive. 

What they need to do is give em a destination goal like times of old and it'll really add to the excitement of the space program again. That part has been missing for too long!.

1 hour ago, aircommando130 said:

Apollo 10 was the only launch from PAD-39B...after 9 launched they put 10 on PAD-B so they could PAD-A set back up and repaired for Apollo 11. My dad was at the viewing area by the VAB and mom and me and my sister watched it from Patrick AFB on the beach. I was amazed how something 363 feet tall could "clear the tower" that fast! And then as it climbed through MAX-Q the crackle of those 5 F-1 engines was something to hear. I later grew up and went in the Air Force and was a loadmaster on the C-5A and I hauled a bunch of "payload items" for the shuttle down to the Cape. But I never saw a Shuttle launch live. I was just lucky to be at the right place at the right time with my dad being assigned to NASA at Houston and witnessing history being made with every launch. 

Where did you get that Saturn V hi-res library CD? That looks really interesting.

Cheers...Ron

Being at the right place at the right time never goes astray and ya dad being what he was surely didn't hurt none either.  How lucky are you? What a great experience, something not really that many in the scheme of things ever got to see. I have no doubt seeing the Saturn V launch would have easily compensated for never catching a shuttle one. Something that big roaring into the sky just isn't meant ta happen! You summed it up perfectly to, it's not so much the noise but that crackle that is the noise is so sweet. I guess that's what you get by mixing the right fuels and pumping it out as they did..☺️

That disc comes from here.  https://retrospaceimages.com/

4 hours ago, aircommando130 said:

Thanks for that link to the NASA images!

Cheers...Ron

No problems mate!

56 minutes ago, johnlove_mk_II said:

I think the mystery port at position "I" is the "Emergency Fuel Drain".  It was only used during test firings while on the stand.

You are correct on what that port is and thanks for the bit of background info to where / when it was used. I'm now curious if it was left as an open hole for flight or covered? I presume it would have been covered though.

372523807_SH2018EmergencyFuelDrain002.jpg.b5e471fd338908730dddeb76bcd74d1c.jpg

If you look at this picture, you can make out under the paint the letters "DRA" of the drain word.

I get that way with things also. The only results mentioning it that I've been able to find searching are both taken from two reports dated from 1967.

Feb 2: The aft bulkhead also has one 6 inch fill/drain line and associated hardware and one emergency fuel drain line used on the test stand only.

July 26: The collapse of the emergency fuel drain duct forced termination of the first S-IC-5 tanking test at MTF. 

I have another copy of the Mighty Saturns dvd on it's way down here and hope maybe one of the engineering camera views may give a glimpse of the area? Knowing my luck it will but won't be visible from all the ice being shredded. If nothing turns up I think at this stage I'll be covering the port myself.

Edit: Just looking on youtube then and at least have an answer to covered or not.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.ee09267b6894110788876911ce7ff41d.jpg

Edited by Wombat
  • 5 weeks later...

Things have been delayed a bit with this project but it is going to happen at some stage this year. The designer notified me that he now wouldn't be able to start on it until the end of Feb which is not any issue really. After getting an idea on what things will cost to have printed I have decided that I wil learn how to 3d print and try and do it myself. In someways it'll be a bit more rewarding to myself also creating the prints. The problem is at this stage there is no consumer based resin printer with a build volume that could print the part's in 1/72 scale without being broken up but that is all set to change later this year.

Also not sure how many have seen this but it gives me tingles watching it. 

Thanx for this trailer Wombat ... I had heard of this movie and when I heard it has "never before seen footage" ... I thought, yup, sure, I've seen it all, but the average Joe hasn't seen it. When I heard the footage has been digitally enhanced, I was curious ... but after watching this trailer ... oh dear ... this looks pretty ... damn ... good!

Thanx for the heads-up!

Pete

You're welcome, Pete. I seen the teaser trailer a while back and they played a bit of this new trailer on tv the other morning and I was blown away how good it looked on a bigger screen. Will be catching this on a cinema screen if it gets a release down here!