I built models (poorly) when I was in my teens in the late 90s and early 00s... and now I'm getting back into it.  Blah blah blah, not my first forum and very few people will read this post... but I'm required to make posts so the Admins know I'm not a spammer or a robot. 

If anybody here is into RC helicopters, then you may know me from HeliFreak.  Wouldn't be surprised as there are a bunch of hard core scale modelers there who build stunning representations of full scale helicopters and then have the balls to actually fly them around... and sometimes crash, spectacularly... especially the turbine powered models which may literally go up in a large fireball. 

...anyway, I'm building the GWH SU-35, so I'll be sure to post some photos when I'm done so you guys can roast me.  

-Igor 

Itch, 

Thanks for the kind welcome.  Sounds like I will fit right in as I can be rather nutty myself.   I definitely plan to build a helicopter soon after I finish the SU-35.  Most likely the airfix Westland Lynx, but have not decided on the variant yet.   Maybe in a few years I'll even build one that flies. 

As for the SU-35, I'm actually on the last 1/3 of the build at the moment.  The scheme is the modern production Russian blue/grey camo.  Specifically, Red #25.   I'm almost finished with the main scheme. Next up is the engines, stabs, armament, hatches, leading edges and all of the small details like pitot tubes, static discharge wicks and lights and whatnot.  

-Igor 

Welcome Igor!  There are plenty of helpful modellers around here to help you out along the way.  I myself learned a lot when I joined a few years ago, much like you, built models as a kid and teen, and now back as an adult.

You picked a heck of a model to start with your first one back, but your background in RC Helos gives you a bit of nice background.  I am eager to see your progress!  I built the Kitty Hawk version of this aircraft, while a nice kit, is not nearly as nice as the GWH.

I honestly didn't even pick the model, my aunt picked it up for me and sent it back to the states from Russia when my mom went to visit a few months back.  That kick started my journey back into modelling.  I've been contemplating getting back into it for a few years not and this was the catalyst that made it happen.  

There's a good reason my aunt chose the SU-35.  My grandmother and great aunt were engineers working at the NAPO plant in Novosibirsk, they worked on the development of the SU-34 and SU-24 updates/upgrades.  They are responsible for sparking my interest in aviation when I was just a child and the SU-27 family of aircraft will always have a special place in my heart.  As a kid, I had built several versions in 1:72, but they are rough compared to what I see here. 

I actually also have a 2/3 complete gallows wright flyer on my bench too, but that's a wooden model so it's a bit different as my RC airplane building skills and tools were all I needed.  I'm up to the hard part, modelling the engine and drive system.