Soviet MiG-29 decals in 1/72 - I can't find any :(

Hi guys,

I can't find decals for Trumpeter's 1/72nd MiG-29A. I want to build a Soviet Fulcrum in the 80s. I tried Scalemates and they say Begemot's sheet 72-032 has a Fulcrum in DDR in 1986. That would work for me, but checking Begemot's website, the decal sheet says it's from 1991.

Since the soviets didn't use many "special" markings, I'm guessing the red stars in the kit and a bort number in the right colour will do also.

What say you?

Thanks in advance,
Ricardo

To help in choosing schemes here is something.

There is an excellent Russian book published in 2009 dealing with the 9-12 in Soviet/Russian service all the way from 1983. 225 pages printed on quality paper with hundreds of good colour and some black and white images documenting the types service year by year. Apart from history it devotes a lot of time and space to markings, special markings, paint schemes.  .  . It is well worth trying to find it. For those with no knowledge of Russian language the text will mean nothing but the images and colour profiles still make it worth buying.

The book is a master piece! Fantastic research and presentation! Gives a lot of detail and clears a lot of myths created by Western so called “experts”.

The book is:

Истребитель МиГ-29 в строевых частях.

Book is by:  А. Павлов, С. Войлокон

S9nmBmZ.jpg

2kvExBA.jpg

aStPb3q.jpg

There was far more colour to these fighters than earlier imagined!

Best regards

Gabor

Resurfacing this topic.

I rechecked Begemot's decal sheet and, regarding 85 GVIAP in East Germany (scheme 9), the text says (I don't think there's a problem copying it):

"85-th GuFR was rearmed from MiG-23M to MiG-29 in 1986, on all MiG-29 "Guardia" badge was placed on port side of fuselage at Lukhovitsy MiG production factory. In 1986 "excellent aircraft" badge (element 29 this decal sheet) was places on some aircrafts, including this aircraft. In 1991 on two MiG-29 (BuNo's 26 and 30), the badge of 85-th GuFR - jumping leopard was paced on port side of fuselage".

Is it safe to say that to build this jet as it was in 1986 instead of 1991, I just have to leave the "Jumping Leopard" badge off?

Thanks in advance.

In USSR "good times" placing unstandard badges were prohibited -  at USSR AF were legal  only guardian badges and stripes, names of heroes of WWI, this badges were placed at "free times@ of last days of the USSR

Edited by kotey

Hi Kotey, thanks for your reply.

I understand that this means that to make that MiG-29 as it was in 1986, I just need to not add the Leopard badge.

(BTW, I have just received your decals for the Su-34 in 1/48th and they look excellent.)