Phantom Aficionados Question

I have often wondered about this. I am a phantom phan, but not an expert. I have read as much as I could find about the phantom, but I do not remember reading anything about the Navy or Marine Corps considering the E model.   Hopefully someone with more insight will see this. Someone in Navy procurement must have at least evaluated the idea on some level.

Edited by Kurt H.

Wouldn't visibility be an issue on the deck of an aircraft carrier with the longer nose of the E version? I am thinking this because of how they shortened the nose on the ill fated F-111B.

5 hours ago, joeltc said:

Wouldn't visibility be an issue on the deck of an aircraft carrier with the longer nose of the E version? I am thinking this because of how they shortened the nose on the ill fated F-111B.

Not so much. They did fly Marine RF-4Bs from carriers.

For what it's worth (not much), I was told when I was at McDonnell back when the E was in development that the cg change caused by the gun was unacceptable from a carrier-basing standpoint (takeoff and landing speed). My guess is that the smaller radar dish required for adding the cannon also didn't have the detection range desired for the Navy Phantom's raison d'etre, which was fleet air defense.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Linda Thresher said:

I totally agree that everything depends on funding and money. Recently, I came across one article where was considered this question. If you want to read that article, you can go to the website and find it in the blog section. Hope you find it interesting and you will find out something new.

It’s a trap! The link is to an advertisement.