T-39 Sabreliner

I’m loving all the chatter about a new FJ. My dad was a NAA engineer and did design work on early FJs at LA. I love anything NAA so the Fury thing has me tuned in even though I have a Collectaire kit on my heap. Speaking of NAA, one of their big products was the T-39. Nobody ever mentions a model of that thing which I find suprising since there were so many around in so many markings. It was a really successful design so typical of NAA’s airplanes of that time. Seems like Kinetic, Kitty Hawk or even Trumpeter would go after it since those three often veer in to the realm of lesser known subjects. I can’t wait to hear what the forum thinks.

Always thought this was a cool looking jet with plenty of neat marking options and figured it would be popular in 48th (or larger) scale.  Same for that 4 engined light transport jet (can’t recall its designation).  What do I know, I thought a new tool 35th scale D/H model Huey would set sales records as well and yet no company has taken my sage advice...,

I have the old vacuum kit and have partly started it.  It would be in Air Force markings and I  may have to make the landing gear myself but just might make it a in-flight model.  Either way, the interior could be a problem.

They also made a model of the C-140 aircraft which I just found.  It should look good camouflaged like I saw them during Vietnam.

Anigrand has a resin 1/72 rendition.  I have not looked it over.  They did the Lockheed Jetstar which was a “close” approximation. 

The Collect-Aire 1/48 is very nice.  The one built up by one of our own expert modelers looks fantastic and there are many military schemes plus, if you look through airliners.com photos you can find some really sharp corporate paintjobs.  

My father flew them for IBM a long time ago and their paint scheme was boty complex and expensive.  But IBM was an original fortune 500 company and they were very proud of their flight department out of POU.   It was sharp.  

Edited by VADM Fangschleister
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:51 PM, BillS said:

I’m loving all the chatter about a new FJ. My dad was a NAA engineer and did design work on early FJs at LA. I love anything NAA so the Fury thing has me tuned in even though I have a Collectaire kit on my heap. Speaking of NAA, one of their big products was the T-39. Nobody ever mentions a model of that thing which I find suprising since there were so many around in so many markings. It was a really successful design so typical of NAA’s airplanes of that time. Seems like Kinetic, Kitty Hawk or even Trumpeter would go after it since those three often veer in to the realm of lesser known subjects. I can’t wait to hear what the forum thinks.

NAA designs were always cutting edge and very attractive designs as well. 

11 minutes ago, jpk said:

I don't recall the model number but McDonnell did a biz jet as well. It had four individually podded engines under the wing. Looked like a mini 707.  

The McDonnell jet never really made it into production. But there is a kit of it! 1/72, of course!😀

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anigrand-Models-1-72-MCDONNEL-119-Business-Jet-/382655198996?hash=item591806f714

An injection molded kit of the Sabreliner would be great - I would suggest it to short-run companies like Valom, Amodel or Mikro Mir; who seems to be an a roll lately.

The  McDD 119 is also a cool little plane - it kind of looks like a pocket B-58, albeit without delta wings. 

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:32 AM, ikar said:

I have the old vacuum kit and have partly started it.  It would be in Air Force markings and I  may have to make the landing gear myself but just might make it a in-flight model.  Either way, the interior could be a problem.

They also made a model of the C-140 aircraft which I just found.  It should look good camouflaged like I saw them during Vietnam.

You can use the front landing gear leg from any 1/72 F-100 Super Sabre kit. The main legs may be F-86 legs, though. The wheels are different, though.  Here is a build review of the Airmodel 1/72 T-39 by Carmel J. Attard.

Edited by Dutch

Hey, my T-39 post got some attention! I’ve got the Collectaire in my pile along with the FJ-3 and F-107. Gotta have those NAA air ‘chines! Dutch is kind of right. NAA used many design concepts over and over. Look at the T-28 landing gear and compare it to the T-2 Buckeye configuration. Same on the Sabreliner. The wing with aerodynamically accuated slats and speed brake were for sure borrowed from the Sabre family. Changing subjects, another “t” bird that you would think would get some attention is the T-37. It seems to me it would have loads of appeal seeing how it served different air forces,  with loads of schemes; bare metal, dayglo, white etc. Maybe one day 

Now I have, "Goooooooooldfinger!" playing in my head. 

A VC-140 and T-39 in a proper visual scale of 1/48 would be awesome!  

And the McDonnel 199 is still sitting in the SW corner of El Paso International. 

Rick L. 

1 hour ago, Spruemeister said:

Now I have, "Goooooooooldfinger!" playing in my head. 

A VC-140 and T-39 in a proper visual scale of 1/48 would be awesome!  

And the McDonnel 199 is still sitting in the SW corner of El Paso International. 

Rick L. 

Something I've been working on.  Can't say as it's anywhere near marketing yet but hope in the next couple of years it will be.  I have to get a job first and then set up shop to make this either with 3D printing or resin.  Close to 1/48 or 1/50 scale.  Doing it with calipers and drawings and photos...so...not easy.  The toughest part will be the landing gear.  A resin model in this scale will be heavy. 

148 Jetstar model 02a.jpg

A second project is the Gulfstream II.  I also have plans for a Falcon 20, DH-125 and Saberliner in 1/48 to 1/50. 

148 G-II nose small.jpg

Edited by VADM Fangschleister