CD144017 - 1/144 C-17 Globemaster III

CD144017 will be a 1/144 scale sheet dedicated to the C-17A Globemaster,  with options for USAF, RAF, RAAF and RCAF. Several examples of special tail art will be included.

This artwork will also form the basis for a future 1/72 sheet, to be released if/when the promised Kinetic kit appears.

Edited by KursadA
9 minutes ago, Stephen said:

What about the NATO Heavy Airlift Wing based in Hungary?  One of their aircraft transited through Glasgow Airport a few days ago.

I am not a huge fan of their simple markings and I doubt many customers outside Hungary have a burning desire to build a model of them..In contrast there are many striking & colorful tail artwork that appeared on USAF/RAF/RCAF aircraft in recent years. I will still consider squeezing one or two markings for the other operators if I end up with some space on the sheet.

On 12/14/2018 at 10:12 PM, KursadA said:

I am not a huge fan of their simple markings and I doubt many customers outside Hungary have a burning desire to build a model of them..In contrast there are many striking & colorful tail artwork that appeared on USAF/RAF/RCAF aircraft in recent years. 

Oh, you're quite wrong, sir. The planes might be based in Hungary, but since they are operated and paid also by several European nations - including Finland - that's the only scheme I'm interested in. 

Okay I might have a more special connection with this unit since I've visited the base, have got some unit related memorabilia and even the Revell kit I have is a gift from a guy who was working there as an officer. 1/144 is not my favourite scale, nor C-17 my favourite cargo plane, but if I'll ever get to actually build this kit, it will be with Heavy Airlift Wing markings.

2 hours ago, thegoodsgt said:

If it's not too late, there are some groovy Alaska ANG C-17 markings posted to Twitter on Dec 23.

Not late at all - in fact, Ed pointed out these markings to be almost as soon as they were applied. One could say it is part of the reason we're doing this sheet, along with the several very nice special tails that appeared on the tails of C-17s in the last two years.

The sheet will definitely include the recent special tail on 177704.

I now need to borrow a 1/144 Revell C-17A kit to scale my base drawings - if any of you can help out, please send me a PM and we will sort out the details. Thanks!

Well I have 3 Revell kits so I am ready to go I think. I was going to do one RCAF but all I had were regular RCAF squadron markings. 

I think the one thing I have to do to the Revell kit is add the 2 lights under the cockpit windows. Actually I am not sure if they are lights and maybe some sort of ECM thing? Exists on the RAF and RAAF C-17s too. The early USAF C-17s did not have them but do now I think.

You can see it here in this photo

https://www.skiesmag.com/press-releases/rcaf-cc-177-globemaster-iii-reaches-impressive-milestone/

Just some early drafts with only the main markings, no stencils, color corrections needed, etc. I will have a very wide range of USAF markings (perhaps 10-12 options) in addition to standard RAF, RCAF and RAAF markings and these special schemes on the sheet.

c17promos.jpg

On 12/24/2018 at 2:43 PM, skyhawk174 said:

Well I have 3 Revell kits so I am ready to go I think. I was going to do one RCAF but all I had were regular RCAF squadron markings. 

I think the one thing I have to do to the Revell kit is add the 2 lights under the cockpit windows. Actually I am not sure if they are lights and maybe some sort of ECM thing? Exists on the RAF and RAAF C-17s too. The early USAF C-17s did not have them but do now I think.

You can see it here in this photo

https://www.skiesmag.com/press-releases/rcaf-cc-177-globemaster-iii-reaches-impressive-milestone/

Those are not lights Chris, they are forward quad receivers for detecting threats (EW gear).

Most aircraft in RCAF inventory have some form of quad receivers installed, the Buff and Twin Otters are two that don’t. All combat aircraft do.

Edited by Scooby
22 hours ago, Scooby said:

Those are not lights Chris, they are forward quad receivers for detecting threats (EW gear).

Most aircraft in RCAF inventory have some form of quad receivers installed, the Buff and Twin Otters are two that don’t. All combat aircraft do.

Thanks Gary. I seem to recall that the early USAF C-17s did not have them but now it looks like they do. I know the RAF and RAAF has had them for a long time. Hope Kinetic's kit includes them.

Edited by skyhawk174

Something I have thought of for a few years but don't have the means, talent or brains to do, but it would be great to have just a bunch of C-17 tails to put all the different decals on. Alot cheaper and doesn't take up a huge amount of space.

On 1/1/2019 at 6:49 PM, riffraff said:

Something I have thought of for a few years but don't have the means, talent or brains to do, but it would be great to have just a bunch of C-17 tails to put all the different decals on. Alot cheaper and doesn't take up a huge amount of space.

A good idea but you would have to cast the tails I guess.

I know of a fellow modeller many years ago who put different markings on each side of the model. I guess it made sense as you can't really see both sides at the same time 😁

• 1 year later...