CD144017 - 1/144 C-17 Globemaster III

On 1/2/2019 at 9:54 AM, skyhawk174 said:

I seem to recall that the early USAF C-17s did not have them but now it looks like they do. I know the RAF and RAAF has had them for a long time.

Not sure about the RAF but the RAAF's aircraft follow the USAF inventory in lock-step. They're essentially treated as USAF aircraft, unlike most previous purchases where Australian modifications and procedures are quite noticeably different next to other nations' aircraft of the same type.

On 6/25/2020 at 7:27 PM, Bell209 said:

Not sure about the RAF but the RAAF's aircraft follow the USAF inventory in lock-step. They're essentially treated as USAF aircraft, unlike most previous purchases where Australian modifications and procedures are quite noticeably different next to other nations' aircraft of the same type.

Interesting. I know I have seen RAAF C-17s with this mod which the RCAF also has and at the time the USAF did not have them installed. I take that back, not all the USAF C-17s had them installed. No matter i am adjusting mine with the mod as it is an easy fix.

• 1 year later...

A bit late, but I am almost done with this one. There were so many USAF units that I wanted to do that the first sheet will be mostly USAF units, with the NATO airlift wing thrown in. I will later do a second sheet with the remaining USAF units as well as RAF/RAAF/RCAF.

I will post the final draft in a couple of days.

This one is going to the printers in a couple of days - I still need to revise the colors this weekend.

Obviously there is a second, all-black sheet (not shown) with all the walkways, serial numbers, unit names and a few other black markings.

15 options on this sheet - 12 current USAF options including "Reach 871", the C-17 which recently evacuated more than 800 people from Kabul.  The first prototype with European 1 camouflage scheme, and two NATO examples from Papa.

As I mentioned, I will likely do another C-17 sheet with markings for remaining USAF/ANG units and RAAF/RCAF/RAF markings later on.

cd144017.jpg

Edited by KursadA
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I like the look of the prototype C-17 in the two greens and gray scheme.  Any one given thought to how to fabricate the pointed radome and candy stripe probe?

Edited by AD-4N
Clarity

Just a suggestion, but have you considered Welsh Models (UK) 1:144 conversion set CV-09 Hercules W.2 with the long nose probe? You would have to modify the nose piece to fit the C-17 nose, but you would have to do that anyway.  I do have CV-09, but I do not have a C-17 kit, so can't say how they line up.

9 hours ago, Dutch said:

Just a suggestion, but have you considered Welsh Models (UK) 1:144 conversion set CV-09 Hercules W.2 with the long nose probe? You would have to modify the nose piece to fit the C-17 nose, but you would have to do that anyway.  I do have CV-09, but I do not have a C-17 kit, so can't say how they line up.

Thanks so much for the suggestion.

• 9 months later...
12 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

Now if Kinetic would just finish the 1/72 scale kit, Kursad can make some more decals (as if he doesn't do enough!).

Paul, I received an email yesterday from one of the Asian hobby stores (I can't remember which one and already deleted the email.) taking pre-orders for the Kinetic 1/72 C-17A kit.  Sorry, but I do not remember the price.  K/r, Dutch

I designed the 1/144 sheet partly in order to be ready for the Kinetic kit when it is released - so rest assured that the sheet will be scaled up when the kit is out there.

I am not planning a second 1/144 sheet before the current one is sold out, but when I do it it will include a few foreign special schemes and the US units I left out in the first sheet.