USAF/USN use of flourescent, and arctic, intl orange colors

I am currently building the 1/48 F-89 Scorpion and F-94 Starfire.  I am confused about the following:

1.  What were the time periods for using fluorescent red/orange and fluorescent orange on aircraft?

2.  Was Insignia red ever used on any aircraft?       If so what was the time period?

3.  When did the use of FS-12197 Intl. Orange start?

Thank You,

Steven H. McLain

According to this from the Air Force Museum insignia red was used, though the post does not give dates of usage, "Based at Ladd Air Force Base, near Fairbanks, Alaska, it carries insignia red arctic markings."

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/198080/northrop-f-89j-scorpion/

Edited by southwestforests

And digging through stacks of books, page 96 in Ginter Books' Number 218 Lockheed F-94 Starfire, on page for 66th FIS at Elmendorf is stated to have used F94B between June 1951 and June 1954 when it transitioned to F-89.

Photo caption shows 50-923 and 50-930 in air and states "Outer wings and tail were insignia red."

Pages 60 & 61 of Schiffer's book Lockheed F-94 Starfire, a photo chronicle, has same photo and caption mentioning, "Note that the practice of painting the inboard sides of the wingtip fuel tanks anti glare green hasn't commenced."

as a point of interest, p47 in Schiffer book shows F-86s in Keflavik, Iceland, which have had temporary arctic red applied for ferry flight to Europe.

also in Schiffer book, color photo caption p44 shows F-94C with unpainted radome of a tan-ish hue and caption states, "Painting the radar dome was okay, as long as it was non reflective paint. Many units used shoe polish too."

Edited by southwestforests
added info

My 5 July 1967 T.O. 1-1-4S-2 lists all "Arctic Markings" as ANA 633. That would be FS28913 Fluorescent Red Orange.

My 15 May 1970 (same T.O. as above) changes the "Arctic Markings" to FS22246 international Orange.

I have never personally seen any official reference to Red Arctic markings.

I photographed military a/c starting in the mid 1950's and looking at those slides today most that had those markings look Red, but I know from seeing them that they were either of the two listings above.

Hope that is of some help.

Norm

Edited by nfiler