1/32 B-24 kits received!

4 1/32 B-24J found there way into my stash today......reviewed contents. I'm loving the size and scope of the kit, but I am very disappointed in the front and rear turrets. HAS engineered them perfectly in their 1/72 offering..........why couldn't this be the same for 1/32??!!  I guess I will have to hold my breath for those two aftermarket fixes. I am still excited about the B-24D that has yet to be released.......I'll easily pick up at least 2 of those.

On the other hand, I picked up a Trumpy 1/32 P-40F that looks really really nice and also a HB 1/32 Sturmovik on skis....great kit of a rare subject. 

There is plans for new vacuum formed turrets by a guy over on Hyperscale.    Got mine yesterday as well. I'm really concerned about the plastic landing gear with all that weight long term.  I'm hoping Ernie Gee steps up on this one.  Other than the nose turret and LG, I'm really excited about this one. 

EDIT, also the airfoil is not correct.  Diehard B-24 guys are really not happy with this.  It is one of the obvious features of the B-24.  Shocked a modern manufacturer got it so wrong.  But it won't slow down my enthusiasm. 

Edited by Scott Smith
31 minutes ago, breadneck said:

I sincerely hope you have a decent amount of plastic cement at hand, and good luck with such a daunting kit.   

I have to get more glue! Good news....So far the build is going good...subassemblies fitting nicely. The main landing gear bays are nice mini-kits in themselves. I've been sticking all the inner floors and bulkheads in place and fitting fuselage together to constantly test fit it all......impressive fit so far.

On 12/18/2018 at 12:30 AM, SinisterVampire319 said:

What are the problems with the kit?

There are many but it depends on if you are in the "looks like a B-24" crowd or someone more focused on full accuracy. 

From what I gather, the most egregious is that HB completely got the wing profile wrong.  The real thing has a very pronounced curve and is much evident where the upper wing meets the fuselage.   Don't know how they missed it but HB botched this completely.   Next up are the ridiculous simplified engines that look like something from Monogram, circa 1975.  For a 1/32 kit, this will be pretty evident.   Only choice so far would be to purchase $180 worth of resin motors and use them or try to detail the crude HB parts.   Next up are the turrets, it sounds like they designed the parts so you have very visible seams going straight through the tops.  They will be very visible on the completed parts.  It also sounded like they screwed up and used a frosted finish for the parts of the forward turret that are supposed to be clear.   In general, the level of detail is much lower than comparable large scale kits from companies like HK, etc but at the end of the day, it's the only 32nd B-24 around so you can either suck it up and build one (if you just have to have this monster) or pass.

Much more detail and discussion over on LSP.  

On 12/18/2018 at 10:42 AM, Scott Smith said:

There is plans for new vacuum formed turrets by a guy over on Hyperscale.    Got mine yesterday as well. I'm really concerned about the plastic landing gear with all that weight long term.  I'm hoping Ernie Gee steps up on this one.  Other than the nose turret and LG, I'm really excited about this one. 

EDIT, also the airfoil is not correct.  Diehard B-24 guys are really not happy with this.  It is one of the obvious features of the B-24.  Shocked a modern manufacturer got it so wrong.  But it won't slow down my enthusiasm. 

I'm not shocked that Hobbyboss got it wrong. LOL Still hope they 

do a 1/48th scale B-2 bomber. 

22 minutes ago, SinisterVampire319 said:

So HB is just being HB. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info.
So over to you, aftermarket guys.

Alan

Unfortunately, way too many opportunities for the aftermarket guys to offer correction sets for this beast. Appears that the front turret needs to be completely replaced, inside and out.   Haven’t seen any pics but if they botched the front turret that badly, the rear is more than likely also a lost cause.   Despite all this, it will still be pretty cool to see some of these kits built.   

1 hour ago, 11bee said:

Unfortunately, way too many opportunities for the aftermarket guys to offer correction sets for this beast. Appears that the front turret needs to be completely replaced, inside and out.   Haven’t seen any pics but if they botched the front turret that badly, the rear is more than likely also a lost cause.   Despite all this, it will still be pretty cool to see some of these kits built.   

Yeah. I just read through all 36 pages. Saw the errors and the arguments.