Question for the F-16 experts

Hi all,

a novice question on the F-16, I have the Skunkmodel 1/48 F-16XL, in terms of dressing up the cockpit and exhaust, which variant of the Falcon would be best to use aftermarket from?

Cheers, Chris

Edited by fistius

The #1 F-16XL would have an F-16A cockpit, but the resin cockpits I see at Hannant's website are F-16AM standards (which are essentially F-16C - the main difference is the instrument panel).  You may be able to combine the resin F-16AM cockpit with Eduard photoetch for the Hasegawa kit.  As for the exhaust, Aires makes a nice one that should fit the Kinetic kit.  The nozzle and afterburner are separate and can be added after the model is finished.  The doughnut panel fixes to the fuselage and can befaired in with filler and some sanding.

According to Keith Svendsen’s article in IPMS Quarterly (Fall 1984) the cockits in #1 and #2 were essentially the same as a production A/B, respectively. Given the time frame for first flight I would assume a Block 15 layout.