Masters of the Air - Status Report

A gent on LSP posted the following link to a status report on this upcoming HBO series, being jointly produced by Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg.   It sounds absolutely amazing (it better for close to half a billion dollars being spent)!   

Focusing on the "Bloody 100th" bomber group during the worst phase of the US's bombing campaign.  Supposedly they are going to devote one full episode entirely to the Schwienfurt / Regensburg mission, shot entirely from within two B-17's, so you will only see what the crews saw themselves.   I think I'll end up getting a bigger TV when this comes out, just so I can watch this in all it's cutting edge CGI glory.  

Check it out!

http://footstepsresearch.org/2018/12/what-we-know-hbos-masters-of-the-air/

Looking at that, "The ground crew is often overlooked when discussing the Eighth Air Force, but there appears to be an effort by the producers to include a storyline that follows the ground crew ..." and thinking Yay! Figure it is safe to expect the story will deal with what happens when a ground crew waited for a plane and crew which never returned, their friends and mates just gone, gone.

2 minutes ago, southwestforests said:

Looking at that, "The ground crew is often overlooked when discussing the Eighth Air Force, but there appears to be an effort by the producers to include a storyline that follows the ground crew ..." and thinking Yay! Figure it is safe to expect the story will deal with what happens when a ground crew waited for a plane and crew which never returned, their friends and mates just gone, gone.

I've read a many books on the bomber crews of the 8th.  The psychological stress these kids went through (especially in the early stages of the campaign when losses were at their highest) was horrific.   For anyone looking for a good read, the book this series is based on is highly recommended.  One of the best I've come across. 

8 hours ago, 11bee said:

I've read a many books on the bomber crews of the 8th.  The psychological stress these kids went through (especially in the early stages of the campaign when losses were at their highest) was horrific.   For anyone looking for a good read, the book this series is based on is highly recommended.  One of the best I've come across. 

Concur!!

That book is definitely near the top. I have also read a large number of books on bomber crew, both RAF, and the Eighth AF. It was truly unreal what they endured. 

I am sooooo excited for this series!!

Sean