1/48 Bandai Star Wars Snowspeeder

Nice job!  Movie prop quality for sure.  One of my favorite scenes from Star Wars.

Why would a "snow speeder" have trouble being adapted for cold weather?  And cold weather on a planet is still warmer than outer space.  Would have been better for them to just say it was too stormy to fly. :-)

VERY NICE job! Love the weathering. The chipping is very well done.

As for the trouble adapting. If I recall correctly, they don't call them "snow speeders" when they talk about them being adapted. I think they were just speeders and had to be adapted. Those that were changed could then be called snow speeders. Or something like that. And it doesn't appear that they are space vehicles but rather made for atmospheric flight. So it's conceivable that they would not handle the coldness of space either. Just my theory anyway.

Bill

Some very nice modelling there. So different to see it without some sort of markings. Nice weathering too.

I am converting the kit to the version before it landed up on Hoth. Wookieepedia has some info but still not sure what it entails. I  plan on a camo scheme.

• 3 months later...
On 12/20/2018 at 10:54 AM, niart17 said:

As for the trouble adapting. If I recall correctly, they don't call them "snow speeders" when they talk about them being adapted. I think they were just speeders and had to be adapted. Those that were changed could then be called snow speeders. Or something like that. And it doesn't appear that they are space vehicles but rather made for atmospheric flight. So it's conceivable that they would not handle the coldness of space either. Just my theory anyway.

The best explanation of adapting the speeders for Hoth was (I think) from the Incredible Cross-Sections book. The large radiator on the back of the speeder was designed for hotter climates, and was actually releasing too much heat for the cold Hoth environment, causing the speeders to freeze up. They welded metal plates to the sides of the radiator blades to slow the release of the heat. Sure. That makes sense. 

Nice job!  Movie prop quality for sure.  One of my favorite scenes from Star Wars.

I'm building this kit, and it's blowing me away how crappy the paint job on the actual studio models looks. There are lots of painting issues, spider-webbed airbrushing, drips, etc.  It's kind of disheartening to see what the "real" thing looks like. Although it makes me feel better about my own painting skills!

Also... you know you put the guns on backward, right?

Edited by RedHeadKevin
9 minutes ago, RedHeadKevin said:

The best explanation of adapting the speeders for Hoth was (I think) from the Incredible Cross-Sections book. The large radiator on the back of the speeder was designed for hotter climates, and was actually releasing too much heat for the cold Hoth environment, causing the speeders to freeze up. They welded metal plates to the sides of the radiator blades to slow the release of the heat. Sure. That makes sense. 

I'm building this kit, and it's blowing me away how crappy the paint job on the actual studio models looks. There are lots of painting issues, spider-webbed airbrushing, drips, etc.  It's kind of disheartening to see what the "real" thing looks like. Although it makes me feel better about my own painting skills!

Also... you know you put the guns on backward, right?

Yep, thanks,  I know the guns are mounted backwards. That brings up the only negative issue I had with the kit. Bandai plastic is vulnerable to mineral spirits based washes. I left the guns off until the end, after weathering extensively with enamel/mineral based spirits products. I pressed the guns to fit in the correct manner, and the socket in which they press fit into exploded. Upon further review, the socket caused a "pocket" for the enamel stuff to wick into saturating the opening. The only way the guns would fit in the repaired socket was to mount them backwards. Besides it's sci-fi and not real anyways so I wasn't real concerned with "accuracy"!!!!! 😇