Group builds lacking participants?

I used to do a lot of group builds here, but I build 1/32 so I've spent most all my time at Large Scale Planes. Going through the history of past GBs can see a steady decline, especially 2018. Lots of reasons (life, work, etc) why, but it seems like they're almost done? Nobody build anymore? Nobody care?

Don

Yes, it's unfortunate the GBs here don't have the participation like they used to. I don't do FB, but are there GB on it? Have folks migrated to these GBs instead? 

Edited by Ichitoe

I know of lot of folks have migrated to Facebook.  The Tamiya F-14 Group Build page there is insanely ridiculous - a never ending group build and many are on their second or third tomcat.  I think it’s tough for folks to commit to a certain “end” time on these ARC group builds.  Model building seems to go better without deadlines for most folks.   

Yup I think it rally is a couple of things. One is life seems to be getting busier and as others have said the ease of putting up pictures. Even HS has made it easier to uploads. Simply find the picture you want on your hard drive and upload. Same system with FB. ARC still running with a hosting system when you need to upload.

Maybe if ARC changes that aspect of it we might see more participation? I know it is easy to say but probably hard to do.

For those who don't do FB (I was one of you for a long time). I got the FB account to join SMCG and Tamiya Tomcat groups. I am now on Tamiya Tomcat only. 

If you join FB, just keep your profile lean. If you are concerned about disclosing too much to an untrustworthy company, you can make up pretty much all your entries. I have only one friend (father in-law, I am trying to drop him too as he's got tons of friends anyway), my birthday, year etc. are all made up. You can make up your name. If you need further disguise, browse the pages of people that you have nothing common with. I have worked it enough that FB's friend suggestions are old men from India and Southeast Asia. Good.  

Group Builds are certainly not as popular as they used to be.  I think we have found that a quick start date and a concept with broad appeal will work better. The Revell GB has a huge number of possibilities, and we started it within a few weeks of conception.

Maybe  we just lost too many members  during the last large outage.

It is fun to look at all the old Group Builds. They go back a very long way, many of the pictures are dead links but it looks like it was a fun time. 

4 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

It may just be ARC in general. If you look at the Display Case, the same models have stayed on the same page for quite awhile, and that's without any responses to bump them back to the front of the line. Even Jet Modeling doesn't get the traffic it used. 

1 hour ago, airmechaja said:

I agree with Darren. It's not as slow as Zone Five but it's evolving in the same direction. 

I see that, too. See some of the the non aircraft  forums have seen 1 year anniversary dates on some threads. I remember when Zone Five started... not a lot happening there, either....good luck...

Don

19 hours ago, airmechaja said:

I agree with Darren. It's not as slow as Zone Five but it's evolving in the same direction. 

I am one of "those" people who sign up for a group build and dont participate. I have evry intention of finishing a kit but i get sidetracked or thr end date come and goes.  Also the whole taking and posting pics from my phone is a royal pain in the butt. I am trying to finish my Strike Eagle for the Revell-o-gram build as the completion date nears. Posting pics on Facebook ARC page is alot easier than on line. I think fb ARC also gets more traffic than ARC and Zone-five. I dont know if or how to form a GB on the FB page but we should try one. Run it in conjunction with one on here and see which works out better. Subject matter would play a big part too. Maybe run it with the Top Gun GB( as an example ) and try things out?

Edited by adamitri
Spelling

The Top Gun surprised me with the lack of participants. I intended a few for that but am co-running the Revel so that is were most of my builds are going.

We are combining the future what if GB with my Sci-fi and Luft 46. THAT should get a few more builds for March.

I watch and see the in-progress and completed GB's but the reason I don't get involved is that it takes me wayyyy too long to finish a kit.  I must have ADD because I don't finish that many kits a year even though I have a lot of them started.  I suppose if I got involved in a GB it might get me to work on them with a little more frequency and intensity.  With the number of kits that I have, I probably need that.

Edited by fasteagle12
On 12/20/2018 at 8:34 AM, Stephen said:

One reason I have is that it's quite time consuming to take pics with my camera then have to load them to flickr then upload them here whereas on Facebook it's easier to put pics up there.

You should be able to upload photos directly to the ARC forums.