New tooled 1/35th scale AH-1Z

Looks like a pretty cool model from the pics of the test shots. Supposed to be coming out in Feb 2019.

http://mmzone.co.kr/mms_tool/mt_view.php?mms_db_name=mmz_media&no=4501&fbclid=IwAR0Kz70YpFTgXmzdGk5I1nHqcJav44M9vrqaAstf4LkTNUZvJIZjaK-1zwU#.XBpfbZ_IWHl.facebook

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

I like it.  I'm not a modern USMC helo fan but from the pics I've seen, Academy looks like they did a great job.  Correct surface details (KH, you finally listening?), slide mold parts, good PE, etc.   I can't vouch for it's accuracy, I know next to nothing about the Zulu but it looks nice.  Appears to be at the top of the pack for new tooled helicopters.  

That being said,  I still can't understand why they went for this version and passed by the original Snake, the AH-1G?   Prettiest helo ever flown -  bar none, hundreds of colorful marking options and all the history associated with it.   Do they really think the Zulu will have greater appeal?

Regardless, very happy to see another company active in the large scale helo market.   Hope they stay with it!

I work on Zulus, but getting walkarounds of the helmet may be a bit difficult.

Details look...  Odd, some panel lines seem a lot heavier than they need to be, but I'll still probably pick one of these up.  I'm hyped up by the schemes they included.

20 minutes ago, GMK said:

That looks really good. Molding things like the boom in one piece enables them to include raised rivet detail that won’t be damaged by joining & sanding halves. Very clever. 

Not that I don't disagree but then why did they make the turned exhausts into three pieces, strange.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

Not that I don't disagree but then why did they make the turned exhausts into three pieces, strange.

Probably because of the shape. That, and only the leading edge (where the exhaust meets the fuselage) row of rivets will be affected during sanding. 

Just received a message that a kit is on its way. Over the past few weeks I've been receiving images of Zulu's from a few Marines currently attached to some of the HMLA's flying them and hope to have a decal sheet ready by the time the kit is released.

29 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

Didn't buy it. I've worked with Academy on 5 previously released kits.

Hey Dave, put a word in with your contacts that the world is still (not so) patiently waiting for an 35th AH-1G and UH-1D/H!   I'd love to see what they could do with those two subjects. 

I gotta believe that either one of those kits would probably sell better than the Zulu.