Which 1/48 Kit for an Su-27?

Brad,

The Hobby Boss kit is an improvement over the old Academy kit in which that it's got those 1.6mm missing on the fuselage length.

For all the rest is almost exactly the same as the Academy kit. 

The LERX extension on the Hobby Boss kit lacks the double curvature found in the real thing. The forward fuselage lacks the rounded profile around the cockpit and below. Main landing gear wheel wells placement are wrong. The IRST is undersized. Port fin intake is the same size as the starboard one. 

I've corrected all of these issues by ordering the Kitty Hawk 1/48 Su-35 kit upper and lower fuselage halves. Corrected the IRST by purchasing the Fairy-Hobby canopy set.

If only you could wait for the forthcoming 1/48 Su-27 Flanker B kit release by Kitty Hawk, you'll be spared of the surgery needed to correct the Hobby Boss kit.

Cheers,

Onigiri 

Onigirl some good info there. I have an Academy kit for many years now. I even have a couple Quick Boost sets. Now it looks like I should get rid of my Academy kit and use the Kitty Hawk 1/48 Su-27 Flanker B when it gets released. Do you have a time line on that?

If assuming a straight Su-27, the contenders out there:

Academy (also released by Eduard's)
Hobby Boss
Kitty Hawk (yet to be released - 2019)
Mini Hobby
Zhengdefu (also released under Hobbycraft and Kitech)

I'm waiting to see how Kitty Hawk does on theirs before deciding to buy.  I think Hobby Boss is the best actually on the market if you need it now, but I would consider the Academy offering as well, especially if you can get the Eduards version.

Other offerings:
I'm just finishing the Kinetics Su-33 and it's a fine kit.

I own the GWH Su-35 and it is outstanding, but do buy aftermarket decals.

For the Su-34, recommend the Kitty Hawk offering.

Edited by Jonathan S
39 minutes ago, Brad-M said:

Problem for me is I have never had a Kitty Hawk kit that fits. If their kits would fit like Hasegawa or Tamiya, or Eduard, they would be way ahead of the others.

Thanks for the replies.

Brad

As Petarvu has intimated and I had said, the GWH kit is possibly the best Flanker family kit out there, but your inquiry isn't clear if you want a true pure Su-27 or just something from that family.    The GWH  Su-35 would be like Tamiya/Hasegawa in fit.  You would absolutely need aftermarket decals.

Edited by Jonathan S
4 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

Now it looks like I should get rid of my Academy kit and use the Kitty Hawk 1/48 Su-27 Flanker B when it gets released. Do you have a time line on that?

Sometime in 2019; I couldn't quite tell you more exactly than that. The releasement thread for it is on this section.

As for the Academy kit; while it's possible to fix the issues in it with some grievous work on the Hobby Boss kit, there's nothing you could do to fix that actual 1/50 scale in the Academy one. 

4 hours ago, Jonathan S said:

Mini Hobby
Zhengdefu (also released under Hobbycraft and Kitech)

I'm waiting to see how Kitty Hawk does on theirs before deciding to buy.

I'd stay well away from those, as they're even worse than what the Academy kit is.

The shapes on the LERX of the Kitty Hawk 1/48 Su-35 are spot on; they've also captured the curvature of the forward fuselage both around and under the cockpit, which are totally lost on the Hobby Boss kit.

They should do a nice Su-27. 

2 hours ago, Petarvu said:

khm khm ......... GWH

Yes, but I'm afraid that's just a expression of desire for now; nothing solid.

21 minutes ago, Brad-M said:

Aren't the Su-27 and the Su-35 2 different aircraft?

They are different, indeed. Point is the double curvature on the LERX and the rounded forward fuselage around the cockpit and under - which is lost on the Hobby Boss kit - are features pretty much there on every Flanker aircraft.

Cheers,

Onigiri

6 minutes ago, Doppelgänger said:

Sometime in 2019; I couldn't quite tell you more exactly than that. The releasement thread for it is on this section.

As for the Academy kit; while it's possible to fix the issues in it with some grievous work on the Hobby Boss kit, there's nothing you could do to fix that actual 1/50 scale in the Academy one. 

Onigiri

Thanks. I forgot about that issue. I think it has to do with how the original was measured. Something about including the pitot and not including it.

I only have one GWH kit (F-15I) but want to pick up their MiG 29 and get rid of my Academy one. So if they release a Su-27 I think I can wait.

1 hour ago, Helmsman said:

Their Su-34 does fit. 

And it fits well as does the 32nd F-5.

I think the SU-34 might mark the corner of consistency for KH realising people want good engineering not hard work.

They also got that nose spot on which was quite an effort if they get the 27 right and GWH dont come to the Flanker party it might be a better option than the HB kit.

Hoping for a Flanker from GWH...

7 hours ago, Brad-M said:

I will wait for the GWH kit.

But that's not even announced. You might wait for ever; mind you, I've been waiting for Airfix to release a 1/48 Avro Vulcan B.2 kit ever since they showed a box art for it at Telford back in 2010. I've still got the picture...

48 minutes ago, Doppelgänger said:

But that's not even announced. You might wait for ever; mind you, I've been waiting for Airfix to release a 1/48 Avro Vulcan B.2 kit ever since they showed a box art for it at Telford back in 2010. I've still got the picture...

Could you post it here, I like too see that.

18 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

If only you could wait for the forthcoming 1/48 Su-27 Flanker B kit release by Kitty Hawk, you'll be spared of the surgery needed to correct the Hobby Boss kit.

Cheers,

Onigiri 

That implies that the KH kit will be flaw-free.  That's a pretty big assumption to make, given their track record.....

2 minutes ago, 11bee said:

That implies that the KH kit will be flaw-free.  That's a pretty big assumption to make, given their track record.....

*BIG SIGH* Some reading comprehension here, please: I said the Kitty Hawk Su-27 kit will spare everybody of the surgery needed in order to endow the Hobby Boss kit of the double curvature on the LERX, the round profile of the forward fuselage around and below the cockpit, features which are both present on the real thing AND the Kitty Hawk 1/48 Su-35 kit - which is how I fixed my Hobby Boss Su-27 kit.

Now, a pretty big assumption would be to make the statement that there's just one kit out on the market of which could be said it's "flaw-free", as you suggest. :rolleyes:

The Kitty Hawk 1/48 Su-27 kit will AT LEAST have those features allright, judging by their Su-35 kit.

Now, have you gotten my point right, 11bee?

Jesus! - I guess I start to learn where the endless gibberish regarding the AMK kit stem from: people not understanding what they read.

1 hour ago, 11bee said:

... Dopple.  

See? That's confirmed now; must be a dyslexic princess then... It's "Doppel" :tease:

Cheers,

Onigiri

PS: B.Sin

Can't quite find the medium where I stored that picture; it was back in 2008. Here's the link to the page on Britmodeller where David Ross posted that picture as well. Check posts #3 and #5. Won't give up the search tho.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23210-airfix-are-doing-a-148-vulcan/

Edited by Doppelgänger
30 minutes ago, Doppelgänger said:

See? That's confirmed now; must be a dyslexic princess then... It's "Doppel" :tease:

Cheers,

Onigiri

PS: B.Sin

Can't quite find the medium where I stored that picture; it was back in 2008. Here's the link to the page on Britmodeller where David Ross posted that picture as well. Check posts #3 and #5. Won't give up the search tho.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23210-airfix-are-doing-a-148-vulcan/

Thank you.