Which 1/48 Kit for an Su-27?

The HB kit builds very well, bu as pointed out there are issues. Some of the panel detail is fictional at best, and the burners are pretty poor representations. If GWH do a -27 in the same vein as the -35, it will be fantastic. The KH -35 is pretty good, but really pales in comparison to the GWH. I expect the same will be the case with their respective -27 kits.

M

21 hours ago, habu2 said:

You’re right. I’ll wait for the AMK kit. 🍿

Meant GWH there, bro? :pray:

15 hours ago, Matt Walker said:

The HB kit builds very well, bu as pointed out there are issues. Some of the panel detail is fictional at best, and the burners are pretty poor representations.

Couple more issues regarding the Hobby Boss kit: the shape of the spine is not well defined, and the wingtips lack the washout present on the real thing. Everything can still be modified.

Those of you who purchased the Fairy Hobby vac-form canopies will find that they fit this kit.

I shall release a guide in early 2019 on how to correct the many issues on the Hobby Boss 1/48 Flanker kits (all of them). It'll be posted on my YouTube channel. Will ask for the aid of Mr @Flankerman 

Cheers,

Onigiri

On 12/21/2018 at 12:28 PM, Doppelgänger said:

Brad,

The Hobby Boss kit is an improvement over the old Academy kit in which that it's got those 1.6mm missing on the fuselage length.

For all the rest is almost exactly the same as the Academy kit. 

The LERX extension on the Hobby Boss kit lacks the double curvature found in the real thing. The forward fuselage lacks the rounded profile around the cockpit and below. Main landing gear wheel wells placement are wrong. The IRST is undersized. Port fin intake is the same size as the starboard one. 

I've corrected all of these issues by ordering the Kitty Hawk 1/48 Su-35 kit upper and lower fuselage halves. Corrected the IRST by purchasing the Fairy-Hobby canopy set. 

If only you could wait for the forthcoming 1/48 Su-27 Flanker B kit release by Kitty Hawk, you'll be spared of the surgery needed to correct the Hobby Boss kit.

Cheers,

Onigiri 

We'll have to reserve a verdict until we actually see the KH Flanker. I for one would rather they release the SM like in the box Art.

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
On 12/21/2018 at 5:56 PM, skyhawk174 said:

Thanks. I forgot about that issue. I think it has to do with how the original was measured. Something about including the pitot and not including it.

I only have one GWH kit (F-15I) but want to pick up their MiG 29 and get rid of my Academy one. So if they release a Su-27 I think I can wait.

That would be the best alternative in my mind. GWH would do a smashing job getting a Su-27 together and they could easily provide more variants of the aircraft. But, I would still like to see a new Su-25, Su-57 and for god's sake a new tool accurate A-10 series.

6 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

But, I would still like to see a new Su-25, Su-57 and for god's sake a new tool accurate A-10 series.

If one manufacturer would make one of those, say the Su-25, then they would ALL make an Su-25. Seems these days that as soon as one comes out with a new kit, they all have to copy them and get in on the action.  I too would love to see a new tool Su-25 and A-10.

7 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

That would be the best alternative in my mind. GWH would do a smashing job getting a Su-27 together and they could easily provide more variants of the aircraft. But, I would still like to see a new Su-25, Su-57 and for god's sake a new tool accurate A-10 series.

Yup a new tool Su-25 would be great. I have the Monogram kit and at the time it was ok. I also had the OEZ one but to be honest did not like the finish on the plastic so sold it.

As for the A-10 that would be great. I have already built one, the Tamiya kit, and that was a bit of work as I had to make it a production model. Happy that I have one in my display case though. A new modern day A-10 would be most welcome and hope the designers leave the rivets raised on the rear section like in real life. No need to do depressed rivets.

Oh and had to go look up what a Su-57 was. Not too enthused about that but it does look cool.

Edited by skyhawk174