How do you glue on those small parts at the end of a build?

35 minutes ago, Jonathan S said:

Learn from my mistakes and success.  It's a great kit, lots of fun to build.  Not an easy kit to build due to the complexity of the real thing.

Failures and tips:

1) I used MiG paint set which I feel was way off.  The grey you use on the belly is Mission Model paint  is not correct (not their fault) and wished I used a different color.  Something with more blue in it.  Recommend the AKAN set.  I regret not going that route.

2) Use new and improved instructions you can download on-line from Kinetics web site.  Newer issues of the kit may already have updated instructions in the box.

3) Use your reference material for everything. If you need a good walk around.  Let me know.

4) Decals that come with the kit are fine, just as good as any aftermarket, but not as complete as they should be for stencils.  Recommend Begemont decals.   I used the kit decals.

5) The inner turkey feathers for the exhaust stick way too far out.  So recommend removing about 3mm's worth of plastic from the inner tubes that hold the turkey feathers. (see photo below).  This allows the inner exhaust piece to be pushed into the aircraft further.

6) The PE strakes that fit behind the main gear fit incredibly well.  I'd recommend adding before painting.   But do not push them in as far as they can go.  adjust them so you can still fit the nose gear wheels.  I cut away some of the plastic stubs that hold the wheels so that I could slide them in last and after the gear was largely painted/assembled.

Have fun

Camera warped some of the parts in this image:

Very nicely done. Don't want to steal this thread too long, but will respond to your tips quickly...

1. Used MRP (Mr Paint) for the dark and medium blue. Used AKAN for the light blue grey. MRP's color is a plain grey. The correct color is a light blue-grey, which AKAN got correct. AKANs paints for the Su-33 are all pretty spot on, but the Dark Blue is a little too dark.

2. Have the new instructions.

3. Absolutely! Especially important with decal placement if using Begemot's stencils.

4. Used Begemot for most. Some are kit decals. One thing I found is that the stencils from the Begemot Su-27/33 set are not always correct. One must check photos closely to determine which stencils are used and where they go. The Begemot instructions do not always match up with what I found in actual photos.

5. Used aftermarket exhausts.

6. Still have yet to tackle the debris deflectors, what I think you are referring to as "strakes" on the nose gear. Thanks for the tip, though I'm using the ones from the Eduard PE set.

5 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Very nicely done. Don't want to steal this thread too long, but will respond to your tips quickly...

1. Used MRP (Mr Paint) for the dark and medium blue. Used AKAN for the light blue grey. MRP's color is a plain grey. The correct color is a light blue-grey, which AKAN got correct. AKANs paints for the Su-33 are all pretty spot on, but the Dark Blue is a little too dark.

2. Have the new instructions.

3. Absolutely! Especially important with decal placement if using Begemot's stencils.

4. Used Begemot for most. Some are kit decals. One thing I found is that the stencils from the Begemot Su-27/33 set are not always correct. One must check photos closely to determine which stencils are used and where they go. The Begemot instructions do not always match up with what I found in actual photos.

5. Used aftermarket exhausts.

6. Still have yet to tackle the debris deflectors, what I think you are referring to as "strakes" on the nose gear. Thanks for the tip, though I'm using the ones from the Eduard PE set. 

Steal away as this had run its course.  Yes, it was the debris deflectors.  This was my first Su-27 family kit.  I'm so happy with the quality of the Su-27 family kits that have or are coming out, I want to build a bunch more.  I'm currently working on the Su-34 and have purchased the Su-35 and Su-27UB.  I want to do the J-15 and a Su-35 prototype (yet to be purchased).  And lastly want a Su-30MKM kit.  How cool would all these look on display :-)

Edited by Jonathan S
3 hours ago, Jonathan S said:

Steal away as this had run its course.  Yes, it was the debris deflectors.  This was my first Su-27 family kit.  I'm so happy with the quality of the Su-27 family kits that have or are coming out, I want to build a bunch more.  I'm currently working on the Su-34 and have purchased the Su-35 and Su-27UB.  I want to do the J-15 and a Su-35 prototype (yet to be purchased).  And lastly want a Su-30MKM kit.  How cool would all these look on display 🙂

I totally agree. The Su-27 family are beautiful aircraft. I have an Kitty Hawk Su-34, GWH Su-35 to be done as production model, and a Kitty Hawk Su-35 to be done as one of the pre-production airframes in eggplant scheme. Probably would do an Su-30SM if someone kits it in 1/48 and I live that long (I build VERY slow these days).

• 2 months later...
On 1/17/2019 at 11:09 PM, Jonathan S said:

Have fun 

Now that is a very cool build, looks great all folded up. I have two questions though, as I am starting my first model after a thirty year layoff and I am not up to speed about modelling or subject matter. First, can you still move the wings back to flying configurations? Second, having the wings armed while in the stowed position, is that something you saw in the walk arounds, do they actually have them stowed mission ready?

Thanks,

Anthony

18 minutes ago, Stalker6recon said:

Now that is a very cool build, looks great all folded up. I have two questions though, as I am starting my first model after a thirty year layoff and I am not up to speed about modelling or subject matter. First, can you still move the wings back to flying configurations? Second, having the wings armed while in the stowed position, is that something you saw in the walk arounds, do they actually have them stowed mission ready?

Thanks,

Anthony

Hi Anthony

First question answer:  No option to change position after built, but you have the option for folded or straight wings.

Second question answer: Yes, you can find photos of the weapons armed on folded wings.  Seen this both for air show photos and on the deck of a carrier.  Lots of good photo references out there.

4 minutes ago, Jonathan S said:

Second question answer: Yes, you can find photos of the weapons armed on folded wings.  Seen this both for air show photos and on the deck of a carrier.  Lots of good photo references out there.

Wow, thats really cool, the kit looks great by the way, went thru all the pics, I hope I can one day soon model that well. I do have to say this though, it is the little bits that make the kit in my opinion. All the pitot tubes and chaff boxes, they add the layer of realism that I love to see when I finish a kit. Every since I was young, I always looked at my finished birds and wanted to see them fly away, I still have the feeling just looking at my unstarted kits, they will be flying soon.. Silly me.

Back when I was modelling, there were no "walk arounds", there wasn't any aftermarket kits, there was no internet! Now we have an abundance of resources, and abundance of details, I just love it.

Thanks for getting back to me so quick,

Anthony

36 minutes ago, Stalker6recon said:

Wow, thats really cool, the kit looks great by the way, went thru all the pics, I hope I can one day soon model that well. I do have to say this though, it is the little bits that make the kit in my opinion. All the pitot tubes and chaff boxes, they add the layer of realism that I love to see when I finish a kit. Every since I was young, I always looked at my finished birds and wanted to see them fly away, I still have the feeling just looking at my unstarted kits, they will be flying soon.. Silly me.

Back when I was modelling, there were no "walk arounds", there wasn't any aftermarket kits, there was no internet! Now we have an abundance of resources, and abundance of details, I just love it.

Thanks for getting back to me so quick,

Anthony

Wouldn't recommend the kit as a "return to building" kit, but it's pretty nice kit.

Recommend something like the 1/48 Tamiya F-14 if you want to get back into this hobby.

1 hour ago, Jonathan S said:

Wouldn't recommend the kit as a "return to building" kit, but it's pretty nice kit.

Recommend something like the 1/48 Tamiya F-14 if you want to get back into this hobby. 

I wouldn't go with this as my first kit, no way. I have actually already begun my returning kit, an MH-6 Stealth from Academy. I think they standard configuration has 9 parts in total (jk). It is about as simple as a kit can get, without being a snap-together kit for kids. Of course I made it difficult by converting to the AH-6J via CMK's package. My first time using resin and PE. It's going good so far, knock on wood!