Where are you going modelwise in 2019?

I’m actually going to follow the same thought pattern as your blog, except I am going to finish my shelf queens (only four or five) and not accumulate any additional queens.

I’ll also thin the herd, I’d like to get down to less than 50 kits. I had 300, I thinned it in the last year to about 150.

I’m currently working on two kits, one a 1/48 Eduard Spit Mk IX I just started, and the second a 1/48 Hasegawa Hornet I started in 1999 (yes 1999) . Both will be finished in 416 CAF/RCAF markings.

I served in 416 (1999-2007). The Hornet will be painted in the color scheme I had designed and approved for my Squadron’s 60th anniversary (2001).

33 minutes ago, Scooby said:

I’m actually going to follow the same thought pattern as your blog, except I am going to finish my shelf queens (only four or five) and not accumulate any additional queens.

I’ll also thin the herd, I’d like to get down to less than 50 kits. I had 300, I thinned it in the last year to about 150.

I’m currently working on two kits, one a 1/48 Eduard Spit Mk IX I just started, and the second a 1/48 Hasegawa Hornet I started in 1999 (yes 1999) . Both will be finished in 416 CAF/RCAF markings.

I served in 416 (1999-2007). The Hornet will be painted in the color scheme I had designed and approved for my Squadron’s 60th anniversary (2001).

Nice!! 

My plan is to finish the 1/48 Apache (I am "almost" at the priming stage), then do that Fujimi Babs.  Follow that with the WnW Albatros.  I'm sure to be able to finish a couple more but those are the "for sures" for 2019.

Where am I going modeling wise in 2019? Forward I hope!

I know its not a very original new years resolution for a modeler to state, but I want to complete more models in 2019 and just get back to enjoying the hobby and quit fretting over every little  nuance of the build (paralysis from analysis is strong with this one). I want to focus more on OOB rather then AM this and that.  I also want to cull the herd by selling off some kits, donating others, and halt buying anything new unless its really and truly a must have (yeah that ones gonna be tough:hmmm:). I also need to adjust to eyes that aren't what they used to be when 2018 started. My daughter bought me a cool workbench setup for Christmas that has built in extra "hands" (adjustable/flexible arms with clips), built in LED lights, and a magnifying window that can be swung over the "hands" if I need some extra help with building and painting (translation...seeing). I am looking forward to getting it setup and trying it out.

TLDR version...my plans are to build, complete, not be such a terrible self critic and perfectionist, cull and cut back, get used to wearing glasses, and just be happy modeling and completing models!

Sorry for the long post.

Regards and happy modeling...and HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!

Don

I’m planning to build several US Army subjects that were stationed at Phu Hiep Army Airfield about the same timeframe as I was there, 1969-70. In work now is the 48th Hasegawa O-1 Bird Dog. Next will be Roden’s Mohawk.

Bo

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:43 AM, thegoodsgt said:

No more Shelf Queens
Organizing my work space
One model at a time

Great advice!

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

I agree with Steven. I have about 20 shelf queens,  including a half dozen 1/72 F-4 Phantoms that i started circa 1984-5. They are all in SEA camo and i got through the Camo Gray and Tan, but never finished the two shades of green.  I will have to dig out and PM the airbrush to see if it still works.  But organizing the work space is a must.  I like Don's suggestion of "helping hands"  and a large magnifier with built in light. I finished five kits in 2018 after 0 for the last several years, so I  will work thru the queens and then build em one at a time, all while culling the herd and stop buying more, with the exception of Caracal decals. How's that for not being too hypocritical?

God bless you all rhis New Year!

K/r,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch

I want to clear the shelf queens this year.  I think there are 6 or 7 on the inactive shelf in various stages of construction and finishing. 

For new builds, I want to build a ZM phantom, and the Kitty hawk rf-101c

But who knows what 2019 will bring, and I might be inspired to do something different.

16 hours ago, Dutch said:

Oh, and to find a job like Darren that allows my summers off as well.😎

That would be teaching 4th graders. While the summer off is nice (we're actually down to just June and July now), the downside is not getting a pay increase for a decade. I guess they figured we already made too much, so we didn't need a raise. 😂

I'm pulling a sharp 90 deg turn here, but I'm going to start gathering HO scale railroad locomotives and rolling stock for my retirement layout (its closer than I want to admit).  The advancement in the hobby since I last really followed it twenty years ago is incredible. Digital Command & Control has advanced the operation aspect of operating a layout about a light year.

I have a couple that are turning into shelf queens: the box scale Revell Stiletto and the box scale Revell USS Midway.  I'm resolving to finish them.

I'm also learning how to use Mission Models paint. So far, I'm not impressed, but it's (probably) mostly my doing...I did not prime and am finding the paint to be the most fragile I've ever used.

Mike

This year I plan to face the conversion of my 1/48 Italeri AC-130A kit into a C-130H, for which I got a lot of replacement parts, sets from Arma Hobby (resin engine nacelles, flaps and wheels), and a great decal sheet for the Argie Air Force service during the Falklands.

It's going to be a lot scaring build, but I'm adamant that I'm able to carry it out, finally.

Cheers,

Onigiri