Where are you going modelwise in 2019?

wNjdaKH.jpgGents:

i intend to repair the 6-7 a/c I finished last year and transported in a house move last   year. (Didn’t go well) Had to leave about 150 completed models in a move prior to the last one. Donated to local air cadets.

A few shelf queens available in the stash along with long term projects.

Probably about 150+ in the stored stash.

Just completed a house lift which gives me a 9ft  walk out sub basement.

Man cave plans underway!

72 scale Xtra kit MK XII Spitfire 595 Sqn (AAC Sqn)  late ‘44 early ‘45

Alvin5182

Edited by alvin5182
Additional info

I'll be happy just to get back to modeling. I've been out for nearly two years now due to first getting divorced, then remarried & relocated, and finally building a new house. Last weekend I finished putting in the cabinets in my new hobby room, and started organizing things. My last set up was a disaster area, so this time I decided that I was going to organize everything before I touched a model. Tonight I will work on a kit for the first time in awhile 😉 And yes, that kit, a 72nd ESCI/AMT F-15B was a shelf queen. With about 25 shelf queens in the pile, I figured that I'd better finish  a few of those first! Fred K. 

rsz_1rsz_1rsz_20190104_175458.jpg.cc18561dffb55f656e87dc3cd0094281.jpgrsz_1rsz_20190106_120241.jpg.dc14aebd09821f0276d76469bac9bdf1.jpg

After not completing a kit in 2018 I hope to spend 2019 building the 2018 planned projects, 3 Hasegawa 1/32 scale Japanese subjects, the first a Ki84 was almost completed but needs finishing off, then next up is a Raiden and a George, as I know very little about Japanese subjects it is and will be a nice learning curve.

Cheers

Dennis

I need to completely clean and reorganize my work space. Right now its a disaster. Plus I need more shelf space to display models. I am completely out of space. Once my current build is done (Kinetic Su-33), it will be work-space reorg time. If I can get it done right, I may have room to build my DeAgostini Millennium Falcon that I promised to give to my son, the ultimate Star Wars junky. :thumbsup2:

Build as Many Tamiya F-14's as I can 3 maybe 4

Finish my Battle of the Bulge Diorama 

Start and finish a D-Day Diorama

Airfix Sea Fury

A F4U-5N

Hasegawa A-4C

Tamiya F-16C Blk25

Tamiya M551

That will be it for this year as the Dioramas will eat up a lot of time.

On 1/11/2019 at 12:18 AM, f5guy said:

I'll be happy just to get back to modeling. I've been out for nearly two years now due to first getting divorced, then remarried & relocated, and finally building a new house. Last weekend I finished putting in the cabinets in my new hobby room, and started organizing things. My last set up was a disaster area, so this time I decided that I was going to organize everything before I touched a model. Tonight I will work on a kit for the first time in awhile 😉 And yes, that kit, a 72nd ESCI/AMT F-15B was a shelf queen. With about 25 shelf queens in the pile, I figured that I'd better finish  a few of those first! Fred K. 

rsz_1rsz_1rsz_20190104_175458.jpg.cc18561dffb55f656e87dc3cd0094281.jpgrsz_1rsz_20190106_120241.jpg.dc14aebd09821f0276d76469bac9bdf1.jpg

Nice Fred. If you don't mind me asking, what's the story behind that  spray booth.  Was that custom made?

I actually DID complete a model already! I finished my Airfix F-4 FG.1 892 NAS. 

My plans for 2019 include

• Improve my model space, 
  • complete a few from the S.O.D. I did complete one from 2010 last year, and plan to complete one from 2012 soon as I get off shift again (3 weeks on/3 weeks off...)
  • Finish my OV-10 with AM in 32nd. Had hoped to have it ready for the model show in Winnipeg, but I'm at work...
  • Hope to start my Hobbycraft/Fisher Sea Fury, grand plans but we shall see!
  • And build many many more models than I buy... (so far I have lost, got/bought 7, finished 1...)

Nothing grand really, but having fun is important!

10 hours ago, B.Sin said:

Nice Fred. If you don't mind me asking, what's the story behind that  spray booth.  Was that custom made?

Thanks! I'm quite happy with how it all turned out. The room is 7' x 9', so its really not that big. it was supposed to be a basement storage room initially, but I realized early on that it would make a great paint booth room, so while the house was being framed, I had the builder run a 12" exhaust pipe into the wall, up through a closet in one of the guest rooms upstairs, up past the ceiling line, then inside the ceiling framing of the kitchen, and finally exiting out through a vent that comes out of the roof on the back side of the house. The booth is by Paasche, and is one their small scale commercial booths. The motor will move 1500 cfm of air. I have a side hobby of painting and selling fishing lures, and they get an automotive grade clear coat finish which is quite noxious, so I needed a motor that would move a lot of air. Originally the bottom bench of the booth protruded about a foot farther out than the top did which only gave me about one foot of room to squeeze between booth to the left in the pic, and the cabinets on the right. I ended up having to take the bottom shelf, and left and right booth sides to a local metal fabricator, and have them cut them down to the same size as the top of the unit so I had some room to get through. I bought some used cabinets off of a local guy, then put some laminate counter tops from Lowe's on them, and was in business! Now I have lots of space for everything, and more importantly, some desperately needed organization ;0) Fred.

On 1/17/2019 at 8:47 AM, f5guy said:

Thanks! I'm quite happy with how it all turned out. The room is 7' x 9', so its really not that big. it was supposed to be a basement storage room initially, but I realized early on that it would make a great paint booth room, so while the house was being framed, I had the builder run a 12" exhaust pipe into the wall, up through a closet in one of the guest rooms upstairs, up past the ceiling line, then inside the ceiling framing of the kitchen, and finally exiting out through a vent that comes out of the roof on the back side of the house. The booth is by Paasche, and is one their small scale commercial booths. The motor will move 1500 cfm of air. I have a side hobby of painting and selling fishing lures, and they get an automotive grade clear coat finish which is quite noxious, so I needed a motor that would move a lot of air. Originally the bottom bench of the booth protruded about a foot farther out than the top did which only gave me about one foot of room to squeeze between booth to the left in the pic, and the cabinets on the right. I ended up having to take the bottom shelf, and left and right booth sides to a local metal fabricator, and have them cut them down to the same size as the top of the unit so I had some room to get through. I bought some used cabinets off of a local guy, then put some laminate counter tops from Lowe's on them, and was in business! Now I have lots of space for everything, and more importantly, some desperately needed organization ;0) Fred.

That is one killer of a spray booth. Man, I'd love to be able to have something like that. Big enough to paint just about anything in. Awesome hobby room!

6 hours ago, Mstor said:

That is one killer of a spray booth. Man, I'd love to be able to have something like that. Big enough to paint just about anything in. Awesome hobby room!

Thanks! Now all I need to do is to get modeling again ;0) Fred.

Well, I thought not much as I sold my old brown wood display case, and bought a new one in white which much better fits the decor of our  newer modern home.

Trouble is, it has less display space, so I can't fit another thing in it!

But the good news is, my Mrs keeps saying "it needs something on the top of it".  I slyly suggested a big 1/32 scale model and she thought that was a great idea.

Happy dayz - this will be my first ever 1/32 😁

Now what to buy?????

Hold the fort, she now informs me a 1/48 Memphis Belle would be acceptable too 😜

Edited by Thommo

I don't think I've finished anything since 2011, right after I got married. Fast forward 8 years and divorce all but finalized I'm looking to make 2019 a good year. Doing a lot of self care, including doing more with my model building and photography. Autograph collecting the past few years has greatly helped with my depression so that will keep going strong. 

Today was the Pinewood Derby and the kids, err...dad's all did a good job. Being her first year, and a lion, my daughter was kind of disappointed hers didn't go faster, it finished middle of the pack; but was really excited she won the most creative design. So there's planning for next year on the back burner. 

On 1/17/2019 at 9:47 AM, f5guy said:

Thank Fred.  What size is the spray booth?

Ive been watching this thread and reading some of the responses. Finally decided where I want no need to go in 2019. I need to get as many of my previously started builds FINISHED before I start any new builds or buy any more kits. I have already gotten a start on clearing old projects and hope to have it done in a week or so. I might post pics in the completed theread and then I might not. 

15 hours ago, B.Sin said:

Thank Fred.  What size is the spray booth?

It is 52" long by 24" high by 24" deep. The cost was $1,500 direct from Paasche, plus another $150 to the metal fabricator to cut the depth from 36" to a more manageable 24". In retrospect, I could have probably gotten away with their 36" length booth, and been just fine, but the one that I have is the smallest booth that I could get with the 1500 cfm motor. Getting the motor to work was a bit of a pain in the butt. The wiring instructions that come with it are not very user friendly, and there is no power cord or on/off switch. I ended up buying a power drill power cable, and wired it, and a shop light inside the paint booth, to the motor leads. Thankfully a buddy of mine used to be an electrician for the Coast Guard, and between the two of us, we managed to figure out the wiring. To solve the no on/off switch issue I bought an outlet that has a standard on/off light switch in the upper portion, and a standard three prong plug in for the lower portion. If wired correctly, the switch will turn on or off whatever is plugged into the receptical, in this case, the paint booth. So now when the on switch is flipped, the fan fires up, as does the lighting! It was a bit of a journey getting it all to work, but now that it does, Fred is a happy guy ;0)

Edited by f5guy

I kind of want to build all the Commanders A/C from the 90th FS when they flew the Strike Eagles. So far there are the...

90 TFS/AMU

90th TFS/AMU

90th FS

90 FS

90 FS ( large dice no dipper )

21st TFW

3rd WG

11 AF

12 hours ago, f5guy said:

It is 52" long by 24" high by 24" deep. The cost was $1,500 direct from Paasche, plus another $150 to the metal fabricator to cut the depth from 36" to a more manageable 24". In retrospect, I could have probably gotten away with their 36" length booth, and been just fine, but the one that I have is the smallest booth that I could get with the 1500 cfm motor. Getting the motor to work was a bit of a pain in the butt. The wiring instructions that come with it are not very user friendly, and there is no power cord or on/off switch. I ended up buying a power drill power cable, and wired it, and a shop light inside the paint booth, to the motor leads. Thankfully a buddy of mine used to be an electrician for the Coast Guard, and between the two of us, we managed to figure out the wiring. To solve the no on/off switch issue I bought an outlet that has a standard on/off light switch in the upper portion, and a standard three prong plug in for the lower portion. If wired correctly, the switch will turn on or off whatever is plugged into the receptical, in this case, the paint booth. So now when the on switch is flipped, the fan fires up, as does the lighting! It was a bit of a journey getting it all to work, but now that it does, Fred is a happy guy ;0)

Thank's Fred.