MiG-29 decals question (yes, again)

So... after asking about MiG-29 decals in 1/72 scale, my wife gave me GWH MiG-29 Fulcrum (Late) for Christmas (1/48).

Since I prefer to make a Fulcrum in the "real" Cold War times (before 1989), I was wondering if there are any decals for the MiG-29 that visited Finland in 1986 for this kit, for example. I alredy have the Begemot decals for the 1/72 Fulcrum and I don't want to make the same aircraft (85 GvIAP).

Does anyone have any information if the Soviet MiG markings in the kit's decal sheet (Blue 91, Soviet Navy/Black Sea Fleet, 119th MIAD) are from the 1986-1988 period? I think I read this unit received the Fulcrums in 1989, but these markings seem to be the same as scheme 32 in the 1/48th Begemot sheet (48-012) and the decal sheet indicates another unit (100th SBFR).

Thanks in advance,

Ricardo

How you like "True Cold War" times. MiG-29s start in mass produced since 1984.

1. In Finland were 6 MiG-29s 9.12 not exactly from late batches, as it shown in model (with early types of rudders, without enlarged addition) from 1-st Squadron of 234-th GuFAR - in future on base of this squadron were formed Swifts aerobatic team. This regiment was first in USSR, whcih start operated MiG-29s, firstly wery early series, than from 12-th batches of Mig-29 9.12.

2. 100-th Instructor Ship based FAR (Saki AB, Crimea) recive first 5 Mig-29s 9.12 from 18-th batch (BuNos 90-94) in 1986, in 1986 on fuselages were placed USSR NAVY flag. And BTW - its were historically first untypicall markings on MiG-29s, before this even Guardian badge not placed on MiG-29s. You can made this markings, and BTW - rudders area were enlarged in 1987-1988, so this additional casing were painted in Light Grey, in same tone all ruder area were painted in Grey-Green.

I'm looking at the parts, but I'm not sure I understand the rudder enlargement you mentioned. Is it at the base of the rudder where the chaff/flare launchers were added? 

Edited by madcow

Here is MiG-29 in Finland., look at rear edge of rudders

0_14cf20_9033508b_XL.jpg

At MiG-29s from 100-th Instructor Ship based FAR on rear edges of rudder were added (riveted from above) additional surfaces, like on this 

File%2066.JPG

Don't mean to hijack your post but since I see the master Kotey here....

Do you have ANY idea about what the Syrian A.F. MiG-29A (9-12) colors are?  Maybe same as the Polish ones?  Would like to buy the correct AKAN paints.  Last piece of the puzzle (OK, probably need to get some good exhausts!) to complete my 72nd Italeri kit.

Thanks, and Happy New Year,

WARDOG

Please do hijack. I'm gathering as much information as I can. 😄

I still haven't discarded the possibility of building a Syrian jet, but I think the current ones are the SMT, not the 9.12.

Thanks madcow,

I want to build the earlier 9-12 as that is the version that I have from Italeri.

Kotey, I'm going to keep looking for information on those camouflage colors.  One thing I can tell is the upper dark gray is not the same as that of the nose cone! :-)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

WARDOG