A-1E Skyraider 1/48 - Crossed the Finished Line

Bottom view. Checking with ref pictures, I noticed I had left off the linkages on the trim tabs at the wings ailerons.

31966994187_9561dfe31c_c.jpg

The Archer rivets worked quite well. Looked just like part of the kit's molding after the paint top coat is on.

46176625674_8f0111c55f_c.jpg

Another task is to fix the gear doors. The 2 seater sported a couple of versions. One has the short "pants" like the one behind Bernie Fisher. The other is the longer pants is more commonly seen like the 2nd pic. Then there were some wore the same door as the single seater.

46138485925_17513944de_c.jpg

32110766337_65e47b2cea_c.jpg

Either case, the kit's door accuracy fell short. Since the one i'm doing is the longer door, fixing up is necessary.

47000093912_08c5e54d26_o.jpg

Edited by trietmcam

Heading into the 9th inning. Markings are on, and it's the Caracal sheet that was released in 2014(?).  I had a little trouble with the checker band, where it had some crack while forming around the fuselage. It was pieced together and brushed over with Microsol, the decal fused together nicely without leaving witness mark.

33176903298_d57015b62f_b.jpg

47000075402_6586877785_b.jpg

47000076882_7a4fec3a0b_b.jpg

33176905968_7a4fec3a0b_b.jpg

After decals set, the model was hit with 2 coats of Model Master flat laquer. I did started some small weathering with Tamiya weathering sets, just to test out.

47051995231_43da9322db_b.jpg

47000077742_5ac992f7fe_b.jpg

Just some more things to finish up: dirty up the old boy to resemble war condition, the sliding canopy still haven't start yet, the original props need some fixing up, landing lights on the gear doors need to attahc, and the napes need to load up. The next update will be the final finish model.

Edited by trietmcam
3 hours ago, DIO said:

I am guessing some wash has been done after decals and before the flat varnish, right?

Great work done!!!

Yes, I used Tamiya panel line wash. I mixed black and brown to get the dark brown finish. The stuff is great. Cheers

Wow, that is some great work.  Before Paul Fisher got burned out of business, I was going to buy one of his conversions and build a Navy 4-seater.  It’s my favorite Skyraider version.   

Can’t wait to see yours weathered and completed.

Again - fantastic work!   

On 2/10/2019 at 8:19 PM, 11bee said:

Wow, that is some great work.  Before Paul Fisher got burned out of business, I was going to buy one of his conversions and build a Navy 4-seater.  It’s my favorite Skyraider version.   

I hear ya. Same here. I kept procrastinating and by the time I was ready, it was too late. I actually was planning on mating the ZM A-1 since it was more accurate in many ways. Hopefully one day his business is back up. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like the goal line keeps moving away as I get closer.  Still working on the side canopy, as well as weathering. I replaced the canopy with a vac form. It is a little flatter at the center support bar, which is  correct. It's still not 100% correct though, because the side profile is a little flat when it should be more of an oval bulge like the real thing. 

33347547458_f8a74a7db1_o.jpg

It still need to get evenly distributed dirtiness  at the bottom. But other than that, it's getting closer to the goal line.

Edited by trietmcam
14 hours ago, DIO said:

A little semi... Not so mat for me please! Thanks lol!

If I read your post right, yeah I don't make it supper flat finish either. It doesnt seem to look right. I tend to keep it satin like finish. What I do is go 50% flat, 50% thinner. That way the gloss coat underneath can shine through a little bit. 

I wasn't totally ok with the canopy. Both the kit's and the vac form were off, but I made best with what was available. I added Archer raised rivets around the framing. Yeah, it's supposed to be flushed rivets in the real thing, but still better than nothing there.

40293017703_e7ac4433a0_b.jpg

The lights are from MV Products, 3.3mm clear lense. Exceelent product, too bad they no longer exists. The red bar (coke can) next to the cannons is the wing fold indicator. They extend when the wings are folded, and retract flush when wings are extended.

46343262935_6c5746a075_b.jpg

Overall view.

46343261515_56fc0db2e5_b.jpg

40293020433_6104c2188c_b.jpg

Summarize the build:

• The model was kit bashed with the Monogram wings, and tailpanes.
  • I mate along the lower side of the fuselage, to minimized fillers and sanding as much as possible. It's still a lot of work involved though. Other modelers tried to use as much of the donor kit as possible (ie. Tamiya) by joining the two higher up. I saw this could have some potential difficulty fitting in the cockpit floor, if it's not done right.
  • There were a lot of work mating in the resin nose/engine set. The fuselage diameter had to be adjusted to fit the nose end. Plus the angle of the nose had to be shimmed to get it to sit to correct position.

All in all, a tough build. No wonder there aren't many build posted. The old Matchbox A-1E can be brought to a higher standard, but it's going to involve perseverance to get through. I pretty satisfied at the end. Thanks to those who paved the way before. 

Here's the real thing in 1970. It's actually an A-1G. From exterior, there were no differences between the E and G. The G version were more dedicated to night operations. Many of the South Vietnamese two seaters were actually the G version minus night time radar equipment in the back. Probably had no usage purposes in Vietnam.

Record showed this aircraft was lost in Feb/02/1972, no indication where. Checking with sources who knew think it was shot down over the battle of Kontum in Region II. It was downed while returing home from mission. It was later learned that it was hit by a missile. That caught many by surprise, since the NVA didn't operate missiles that far deep in South Vietnam. Turned out they had deployed new shoulder fired missiles, the SA-7 in all of the South. This Skyraider was probably the first one on the receiving end. The pilot ejected out, but was hit by relentless machine guns from the ground. 

45700458215_6ae9d7fc77_b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...