ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
trietmcam

A-1E Skyraider 1/48 - Crossed the Finished Line

Fantastic job, thanks for taking the time to post all these updates!   

Triet Cam,

Yes, a beautiful build.  You can be proud of this one!  And congratulations for making it across the finish line!  Many of my kits do not, so you should be doubly proud.

Regards,

Dutch

Beautiful build and since I just got my "Revell", "Matchbox" molded in Poland kit you answered a few questions I had but also added a few more questions!

One question was how did you make the instrument panels?

Second question where did you get the wheels?? The kit wheels look like something a Bush Pilot might use on his Piper Cub! Yours look like small Navy style wheels, would they be appropriate for USAF versions?

On 6/18/2019 at 1:51 PM, Sgt Shultz II said:

Beautiful build and since I just got my "Revell", "Matchbox" molded in Poland kit you answered a few questions I had but also added a few more questions!

One question was how did you make the instrument panels?

Second question where did you get the wheels?? The kit wheels look like something a Bush Pilot might use on his Piper Cub! Yours look like small Navy style wheels, would they be appropriate for USAF versions?

Dutch and Shultz, thanks for your comments.

The instrument panel came from the now defunct Cobra resin set. The surface had to be sanded smooth, had a lot of grains. I used Mike Grant instrument decals gauges for the individual locations. One caution, the 2 side consoles had to be sanded down and so did the 2 seats in order to fit the cockpit. The True Details seats were actually designed for the single seat fighter version. I think they were wider than the E version. So had to be sanded down to fit. 

The way I did it was sand down the seats, side consoles, then lots of trials fitting to see if the cockpit assembly fit to the fuselage. This is the most complicated task of the build because there is no reference point for the cockpit placement to the fuselage. The instrument panel and coaming can be added later. The coaming doesn't fit very well, so required some sanding and trimming. If the cockpit position is off, the bulkhead wall behind the seat is off and the canopy wont fit later. Fitting the cockpit task nearly broke me, so patience is a requirement here.

The front wheels came from the KMC cockpit sets, but you can use the Aries set as well. I compared them to reference pics, and seems pretty good. The rear wheel came from the Quickboost. It's the only ones out there if you want to make it a pneumatic inflated wheel version, which was predominantly used on land base operation in VN.

Regards

Triet

Excellent work:

Some notes on the non-USN wide-body Skyraiders

https://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2017/03/a-1e-yankee-escape-system.html

https://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2017/08/usafvnaf-1es.html

The difference in the main landing gear doors was that in some cases,  the narrow-body gear doors were substituted. These had to be cut back to clear the catapult hook on the landing gear strut of the wide bodies, since they were not readily removable.