Group Build proposal-50th Anniversary of the 1st Lunar Landing

50th Anniversary - 1969 - 2019  

30 members have voted

1. 1. 50th Anniversary of the 1st Manned Landing on the Moon

• YES I want to commemorate this remarkable achievement
    • What? The Moon Landing ... No Thanks

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2019 at 03:44 PM

Happy New Year gents!

Back in March I asked the same thing and got a few interested responses ... but seeing as some of the rules have been adjusted for a Group Build, I figured I'd give it a go again.

It would start February 1st and end July 31st of this new year.

I'm curious to see if there's more interest in a Group Build celebrating the First Lunar Landing of July 20th 1969.

This GB would celebrate the spectacular aerospace achievement, by the USA, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the Earth.

What I'm thinking is just Spacecraft, Launch Vehicles, Trainers, and Astronaut Figures.

No Aircraft

No Tracked vehicles

No Cars

No LEGO

... but run your build ideas past me and if it's related to the Apollo Lunar Landing program, it should be okay.

So Apollos 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17.

LLTV (Lunar Landing Training Vehicle)

LRV (Lunar Roving Vehicle)

Saturn V

Saturn 1B

Apollo Spacecraft (CSM and LM)

If you have a model already started, that's okay with me. 54% done or 86% done, good. Finish it in the GB. 

If however this GB doesn't get approved by the moderators, I'll post this thread on the Real Space forum and do it there.

I've done a few LMs and can recommend aftermarket items, 3D prints included, to make your model sparkle!

Any questions or suggestions, fire away.

Pete

Edited by K2Pete
Okay, there's the Poll! ;- D

A suggestion perhaps? Maybe change the criteria to anything Apollo related but with anything that was used, built, or from 1969 also? Probably would get a lot more participation by expanding it. 

Kinda marking myself as a hypocrite with that last sentence as I still can't even get my build for the R-M GB complete.

Thanx Whiskey ... I thought of opening it up a little by allowing the Aircraft that Collins, Aldrin and Armstrong flew in Korea or as Test pilots at Edwards, but then thought, this isn't about the Astronauts, it's the Engineering, the Design of the vehicles, the overall achievement.

As an example, the F-35 has been in development for ... how long? 

The entire Apollo program was conceived, designed, engineered and developed in ... Eight Years.

And from the point of view of increasing the participation rate, well, judging by some of the threads related to GB's here on ARC that seems to be on a downturn anyway.

I'm expecting that, say, we get 15 modellers who say "YUP, I'm in!" ... only 3 or 4 will actually build something.

I'd rather have modellers genuinely interested in this aspect of the US Space Program and really want to learn more by researching this engineering accomplishment back in the '60's and have a model to display, if only for a short while. I also want this to be a FUN build, not an effort on the part of the modeller. For most of you, this'll be something entirely different.

And I've built a few Lunar Modules and NONE of the kits are accurate ... you're gonna be doing a little scratch building as there isn't a lot of aftermarket out there either ... maybe it's time to try something completely different, expand your skills and all that!  :whistle:

Now ... how the heck do I get the Poll to show up?  :doh:

Pete

On 1/1/2019 at 5:36 AM, K2Pete said:

What I'm thinking is just Spacecraft, Launch Vehicles, Trainers, and Astronaut Figures.

No Aircraft

No Tracked vehicles

No Cars

... but run your build ideas past me and if it's related to the Apollo Lunar Landing program, it should be okay.

Would you consider Mercury and Gemini related subjects ? Virtually every manned flight was in some way a test of methods needed to get to the moon (and back) e.g. orbital rendezvous, docking, endurance, etc. even RCS jets and ablative materials used on the X-15 program.

Think its a good idea, but I sadly do not see a lot of people joining the GB.

Perhaps, and its your GB so do what you will, include NASA aircraft. The more topics that people can join with the better the participation.

16 hours ago, phantom said:

Think its a good idea, but I sadly do not see a lot of people joining the GB.

Perhaps, and its your GB so do what you will, include NASA aircraft. The more topics that people can join with the better the participation.

I'm not looking for numbers phantom ... the aircraft builders can't fill their own Group Builds, plus, there was a NASA GB in 2014 that I helped to mod and it included everything related to NASA and I have no intention of repeating it.

And fulcrum1... um a LEGO Saturn V ... no.

There'll be entries into this GB wherein the builders will be getting 3D models made after having researched the beejeebers out of the Saturn V launch vehicle. And the completed LEGO is so-o-o inaccurate, such a toy, I'm a little surprised anyone even suggested it.

By all means, build your LEGO puzzle, but post pix of it on a LEGO site. 

habu2, Mercury and Gemini ... nope. They are different programs and as I stated above, there was a NASA GB a few years ago wherein EVERYTHING NASA related was included ... and ... I didn't see your build thread in it. Plus by your rationale, everything from Orville and Wilbur's Kitty Hawk flight is related to this momentous event that I want to commemorate in the GB.

To me a Group Build is not a speed build ( maybe there's an idea for another type of GB, how many kits can one build in a month? ... or how quickly? ).

It's not a competition either, it's an opportunity for us all to build the same subject and learn more about it, and share tips on how to improve our individual model building techniques.

Plus, in this case, upon completion we get a unique model of an Aerospace vehicle, that you knew next to nothing about and have a whole new appreciation for the engineering that went into it.

Thanx

Pete

9 minutes ago, K2Pete said:

I'm not looking for numbers phantom ... the aircraft builders can't fill their own Group Builds, plus, there was a NASA GB in 2014 that I helped to mod and it included everything related to NASA and I have no intention of repeating it.

And fulcrum1... um a LEGO Saturn V ... no.

There'll be entries into this GB wherein the builders will be getting 3D models made after having researched the beejeebers out of the Saturn V launch vehicle. And the completed LEGO is so-o-o inaccurate, such a toy, I'm a little surprised anyone even suggested it.

By all means, build your LEGO puzzle, but post pix of it on a LEGO site. 

habu2, Mercury and Gemini ... nope. They are different programs and as I stated above, there was a NASA GB a few years ago wherein EVERYTHING NASA related was included ... and ... I didn't see your build thread in it. Plus by your rationale, everything from Orville and Wilbur's Kitty Hawk flight is related to this momentous event that I want to commemorate in the GB.

To me a Group Build is not a speed build ( maybe there's an idea for another type of GB, how many kits can one build in a month? ... or how quickly? ).

It's not a competition either, it's an opportunity for us all to build the same subject and learn more about it, and share tips on how to improve our individual model building techniques.

Plus, in this case, upon completion we get a unique model of an Aerospace vehicle, that you knew next to nothing about and have a whole new appreciation for the engineering that went into it.

Thanx

Pete

Good reasons, I hope you get the votes. I played in your NASA GB. I liked it.

Hey, Pete, this is the only year we have for commemorating the lunar landing.   The 51st or 52nd year won't be much fun so yes I want to build!   Unless I'm lucky to be still alive on the 75th anniversary.     I just hope I can finish --- six months isn't too long.   And with a day job with only the weekends free and the family vying for equal attention, will have to see how it goes. I really wanted to work on the 1/32 LEM (with CSM since I already have the balloons, cake, noise-makers and confetti.    : )  All that remains is the willpower to put the party together.   I remember snapping up that kit at HeritageCon after seeing Ret's beautiful CSM.    I do want to finish the LLRV, too, though -- will decide soon.   And even if i don't get to complete it at least I tried -- that'll be enough for me to celebrate the year and join in the fun : )

Bill, we have to make sure we don't wake the neighbours ... !

This is getting some interest on the Real Space forum, I have to remind all of you that are interested in the GB, to sign the poll, as the moderators use the poll to decide on whether to make it an 'official' Group Build with all the bells and whistles, pretty girls, new cars and all that!   :whistle:

Pete

On 1/13/2019 at 12:17 PM, niart17 said:

Surely more people want to celebrate the greatest achievement of modern times? Right? We should commit ourselves to do this, and the other things....

"...not because they ah easy, but because they ah hard!" JFK at Rice University ... 

I agree Bill, this is an enormous Aerospace achievement, not just a Space thing and this entire Forum is devoted to Aerospace. And I see this as an opportunity for other model builders to learn something they didn't know about the incredible Apollo program. A lot of us here on ARC are old enough to remember watching this all on TV, Black and White TV, and a lot are too young, ( ... right Bill?) ... to remember, but nevertheless, the fact remains that in 8 short years the USA , and I'm Canadian, went for a 15 minute 'flight' to actually developing the hardware, the calculations and the software, to land 2 men on the Moon and return them safely to the Earth.

Just Incredible ... even 50 years later!

Thanx for signing up guys ... this'll be fun!

Pete

As for the 11 mission itself, yes too young, I was 1 at the time. But I definitely remember some of the later missions and even have a recollection of running out into the back yard to see if a part of Skylab would (hopefully) land in our back yard and I'd have the coolest playhouse on the block! Hey I was 11, give me a break.

So far my planned builds for this are the 1/48 scale Monogram/Revell LEM and likely linking it up to a Dragon CSM. I also hopefully can finish the Dragon 1/72 scale Saturn V. Another thing I'm kicking around is perhaps rehashing my Alan Bean astronaut sculpt, trying to reform a lot of the details and cutting it up to make it mold-able so I can do other figures. not sure about that project but with the 3D printer now, I should be able to really refine the suit fittings etc... 

Looking forward to the coming months! Gonna be a great ride.

Bill