Group Build proposal-50th Anniversary of the 1st Lunar Landing

50th Anniversary - 1969 - 2019  

30 members have voted

1. 1. 50th Anniversary of the 1st Manned Landing on the Moon

• YES I want to commemorate this remarkable achievement
    • What? The Moon Landing ... No Thanks

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2019 at 03:44 PM

5 hours ago, K2Pete said:

Thanx Ret!    :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure we have Official status now! Is that correct moderators?

For a start date of February 1st, 2019!

Pete

Well....... No, you still need ten more votes. Also put the proposal in for voting. If Neo, as the head mod  wants to OK it, I am cool with it. Perhaps PM him directly as your getting pretty near the start date you are asking for.

Edited by phantom

Aw shucks ... I was sure I saw that the number of positive poll #'s was reduced down to 15 ... in addition to the lead-time being reduced from 6 months, to 3 or 4 weeks ...

From the "Future of Group Builds" thread July 11 last year ... Page 2, posted by "Don"

" ... -Maybe make the criteria 20 instead of 25 for it to be given a green light (heck 15 even). Better to have 15-20 enthusiastic modelers ready to build then 5-10 of 25 who really aren't overly excited and only voted to get the votes up to 25. ... "

In that thread, however, I did NOT see a post where the decision was indeed made to reduce the number of modellers interested as indicated by the poll, so, am I mistaken phantom?

Thanx phantom, I'll PM Neo ... !

Pete

We have been reducing the lead time. More participants quicker. Tell Neo I give my yes vote. Then we just need Pete for the good to go.

Its not something I will participate in, but the interest of others is hopeful.

On 1/2/2019 at 9:02 PM, K2Pete said:

Thanx Whiskey ... I thought of opening it up a little by allowing the Aircraft that Collins, Aldrin and Armstrong flew in Korea or as Test pilots at Edwards, but then thought, this isn't about the Astronauts, it's the Engineering, the Design of the vehicles, the overall achievement.

As an example, the F-35 has been in development for ... how long? 

The entire Apollo program was conceived, designed, engineered and developed in ... Eight Years.

And from the point of view of increasing the participation rate, well, judging by some of the threads related to GB's here on ARC that seems to be on a downturn anyway.

I'm expecting that, say, we get 15 modellers who say "YUP, I'm in!" ... only 3 or 4 will actually build something.

I'd rather have modellers genuinely interested in this aspect of the US Space Program and really want to learn more by researching this engineering accomplishment back in the '60's and have a model to display, if only for a short while. I also want this to be a FUN build, not an effort on the part of the modeller. For most of you, this'll be something entirely different.

And I've built a few Lunar Modules and NONE of the kits are accurate ... you're gonna be doing a little scratch building as there isn't a lot of aftermarket out there either ... maybe it's time to try something completely different, expand your skills and all that!  :whistle:

Now ... how the heck do I get the Poll to show up?  :doh:

Pete

and calculated using slide rules. 

Well, IMHO, I think think the 25 rule should be a little more flexible, especially as of lately, with the hard time getting most any group build gaining traction. Of course it's not my decision and this group build is going to be happening either officially or unofficially so it's really just a matter of if there is a designated area for it to happen or just buried in the real space area. Obviously the call is up to you guys but it could be a lost chance to get another group build on the books.

Bill

4 hours ago, niart17 said:

Well, IMHO, I think think the 25 rule should be a little more flexible, especially as of lately, with the hard time getting most any group build gaining traction. Of course it's not my decision and this group build is going to be happening either officially or unofficially so it's really just a matter of if there is a designated area for it to happen or just buried in the real space area. 

I couldn't have put it better myself Bill!

The participants, so far, are motivated, enthusiastic Real Space builders as evidenced by their builds. The Revellogram GB had 32 'modellers' sign the poll and 18 completed builds, not counting the multiples some guys did ... 50% completion rate ... and the mods are still needing the arbitrary 25?

Pourquoi?

A little flexibility, indeed, is needed if you wanna resuscitate the Group Build participation rate here on ARC.

3 more days guys ... on the Group Build Forum or in the Real Space Forum ... see you there! 

And John, so nice to see you here ... a lot of us have accessed your Apollo Saturn site ... :thumbsup:

Pete

I'm in. Working on an entry now that hopefully will do double duty for the special anniversary category at the IPMS Nats this year. I drafted a set of recommended rules for that. That doesn't mean they're approved. However, I basically said anything supporting the moon program up through Apollo 11 is fair game, including tanks, planes, other support aircraft, Mercury, Gemini and Apollo, recovery dioramas, buildings, ships, spacecraft, figures and astronaut cars. That includes, T-38s, Hornet, Surveyor, lunar landing training vehicle. Must be in period markings not exceeding Apollo 11. No military planes flown by astronauts in another service. No Russian spacecraft. Apollo was a big program and it was a big part of the culture, not just rockets or lunar landers. The intent was partly to make it as inclusive as possible for all genres, not just space modelers. I cut it off at Apollo 11. The effort to get to that moment was enormous. If you want to go beyond, you can wind up with Skylab, Apollo Soyuz, lifting bodies, Space Shuttle, ISS, Clementine, etc. All to say I'm in regardless. 

There have been more people on the moon than in some ARC group builds 🙂

This is one of those that might be fun to try something new. Lunar buggy or something. I'd be down.

You ALMOST have enough votes. Get your friends to build something. There are some simple kits out there that should be easy to complete in the 6 month time frame.

I hope it works for you. Keep talking and getting your participants. Hopefully those who vote actually intend to play.

12 hours ago, Space Tiger Hobbes said:

And the broader the rules, the more that will potentially be interested. 

Keep in mind Space Tiger Hobbes, that, as I've mentioned earlier on in this thread, that an all encompassing NASA Group Build has already occurred and I don't want to repeat it. ( Notice the banner in the above post ... ! )

But let's see what you plan to do ... What I want to do with this GB is celebrate and commemorate the Apollo Program, not any of the peripheral programs ... Apollo has enough varied hardware to keep any of us enthused.

And 25 participants ... well, I'll be darned. Thanx guys ... 

This'll be a treat! I'm quite looking forward to this ... now, all we need is a moderator and .......... kidding, just kidding!    :rolleyes:

Pete

Not exactly "all" encompassing, but it's your GB. Just a suggestion. FWIW, if you're commemorating  Apollo 11, Apollo-12-17 are after the fact. If you're celebrating the Apollo Program, it was created in 1961, and you're a little late. 😉 If you're celebrating all things "Apollo," then that also would include Apollo Soyuz and Skylab, would it not? 

As I understood it, it was the vehicles and processes which achieved getting a man to the moon and back. Soyuz, Skylab etc...did not deal with that feat so it's a horse of a different color. Correct me if I'm wrong Pete.

Bill

BTW Pete,  I'm not 100% sure if its still the process, but I think you need to fill out the group build request form down in the group build area. It looks like this is still the process as the last couple of builds have requests down there. Just wanted to make sure the t's are crossed and i's are dotted and such.

Bill