Starting my builds today, a pair of 1/48 Tamiya P-47D bubbletops.  Starting off by adding some wiring behind the instrument panel since a bit of this will be visible through the windscreen.

-Ryan

cuqqoFG.jpg

Squeezed in a little work tonight, primed all of the cockpit parts as well as the engine components.  I think I'm going to take a shot at rigging the radials, something I've never tried before.

YzilC1B.jpg

Also applied the kit decals for one of the instrument panels, and was surprised how well they worked.  I discovered that the working time on Tamiya decals with Solvaset or Micro Set is minimal, at best, but so far so good.

hlA24V6.jpg

Tonight finished getting the IP's in order.  I also started getting the engines prepped to add some fine wire once my #80 drill bits arrive this week.  The whole engine rigging thing could be a colossal failure... we'll see. 

Also did a little bit of painting on the engines.  I figure they are probably adequate with the silver dry brushing since they were probably grimy with the operational tempo.

I'm having fun so far, but eager to move beyond the tedium of cockpits and engines.

-Ryan

0KXKNTU.jpg

NTGwz7R.jpg

FvHFFTo.jpg

WOW, those IPs look fantastic, great job on them! Looking forward to seeing your engine wiring. I've never done it either, but have been wanting to try. So, I'll take notes from your attempt.

21 hours ago, Ichitoe said:

WOW, those IPs look fantastic, great job on them! Looking forward to seeing your engine wiring. I've never done it either, but have been wanting to try. So, I'll take notes from your attempt.

Thanks, Ichitoe!  Not sure if it'll break some sort of rule for linking to another forum, but my attempt is inspired by the expert work seen here:

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/t/149327.aspx

-Ryan

Got the cockpit parts finished up and installed.  After which, I pressed forward into closing up the fuselage of both jugs.  I've also been doing some painting of the gear bays and engine cowling parts to speed assembly down the road, I hope.

With any luck, this week I'll have the wings on and well on my way to addressing whatever cleanup needs to be done on the more prominent seams, of which there are few.  This kit really lives up to the hype.

-Ryan

vFi7xYV.jpg

Fw5Vbtv.jpg

QPEAr6W.jpg

l5qXlbP.jpg

nj7FF3Q.jpg

8 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Nice work on those cockpits! The IPs are really impressive, all the more so since you said they're Tamiya decals. I have horrible luck with them~

Thank you! I did notice the behavior of the decals was slightly different between the two kits, despite being identical. They came from different retailers at different times, so who knows what environments they might have been kept in. That seems consistent with the prevailing opinion about Tamiya decals, though. Shame, since everything else about Tamiya kits seems to be the gold standard.

8 hours ago, southwestforests said:

Those P-4rD cockpits did turn out grandly.

How's the SD40-2 coming? Can you believe those are approaching half a century old now.

Thanks!  So I guess my username betrays my origin as a railroad guy! I knew someone was bound to notice. The SD40-2 predates me, so it doesn't seem too strange. What's hard to believe is that all those 6000 hp types from the late 90's are scattered to the wind on lease fleets, rebuilds, or scrap piles... THAT makes me feel old.

-Ryan

9 hours ago, BN7149 said:

Thanks!  So I guess my username betrays my origin as a railroad guy! I knew someone was bound to notice. The SD40-2 predates me, so it doesn't seem too strange. What's hard to believe is that all those 6000 hp types from the late 90's are scattered to the wind on lease fleets, rebuilds, or scrap piles... THAT makes me feel old.

Hey there. That combined with the shelf with the hole in the sky blue wall - once you know that visual language there's only one message it can send! 😄

Huh, wonder how I didn't notice my typo in P-47D? 

Oh well, blame it on my health being a mess. 

No longer have any of the magazines but I'm older than either the SD40-2 or the SD40 and can remember my Dad's various aircraft magazines in the 60s and 70s still having lots of articles on WW2 aircraft. 

Can remember one titled "Whine from the Jug", but not what magazine, Air Classics? Airpower? 
IIRC, without cheating in Google, one early P-47 prototype was lost to an in-flight fire. Think opening illustration of one P-47 article was a rather nice 2-page pen and ink drawing of pilot bailing out of the burning plane with one of his shoes flying off.

• 2 weeks later...

Little behind schedule due to work and weather, but got the seams cleaned up and wings on last night. So far my only gripe with the kit is the fit of the gun ports into the leading edge of the wings. There probably wasn't a better way for them to make it work, but it was a sketchy clean-up.  I think I got it good enough.

-Ryan

omTdPpP.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2019 at 10:29 PM, dnl42 said:

Nicely coming along!

What's the plan for markings? 

Thanks!  Sorry for the late reply.  This should link to my post under the "Planned Builds" thread.

-Ryan

• 2 months later...
On 5/7/2019 at 8:35 AM, okthree said:

Any more progress on these kits?  You have done good work so far. 

Thank you.  I apologize that I've had little to update for a while now.  I just finished a couple college courses this past week that were more intense than I had hoped, so modeling time has suffered.  I know... excuses, excuses. 

I've just finished masking the windscreen sections and cockpits of both in preparation for paint.  I was disappointed that the windscreens of both kits seemed to fit poorly, and the cleanup of those areas along with the wingtip lights are pretty much all I've accomplished since my last update.  I did manage to paint the cowl for "Maggie V", too.

-Ryan

Rmb1a42.jpg

yogt3ZT.jpg

Started some priming today putting down some Mr. Color GX2 as a base for natural metal.  Both planes will get the natural metal treatment, and then one will have OD sprayed on the upper surfaces.  The GX2 was thinned a little more than 50/50 with Mr. Leveling Thinner and I was astounded and how smooth it went down.

In other news, I was also astounded at how well my sanding spots showed up... 🤨

ejvhdd1.jpg

• 1 month later...

After my last post, I decided that I needed to repair some of my joints on both planes as I wasn't happy with how well they showed up under GX2, and was afraid it would be worse with the natural metal finish.  That was a major setback, but I'm happier with the results now.  So, last night I FINALLY got around to spraying the AK Xtreme Metal aluminum on everything.  Also put down some AK XM steel color on several parts as well.  

kC8q18j.jpg

While that all sets up, this morning I pulled the masking from the canopies to make sure that all worked out (seems like it has) and also started some random decal work on the propellers and other small parts.

VSfbRsW.jpg

2el6682.jpg

I'm trying my damndest to get these done within the next few weeks.

-Ryan. 

Okay, well... never mind.

For some reason I was operating under the impression that the build went until July 31st... until I just looked at a couple other threads in the group build.  whooooops!

Sorry, I should have paid closer attention.

-Ryan