• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I finished this up today and took some pictures.  Now I am contemplating a P-47.  I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the color on these aircraft.  There is no specific ANA or FS color designation.  They were synthetic haze blue.  And I found pictures that ranged from dark blue/purply to highly faded light blue.  Some references said they were British azure blue or Sky blue.  So I felt like I was pretty much on my own.  The Aeromaster sheet said that the aircraft were painted Synthetic Haze so I stayed with that.  I started out by painting the whole plane Model Master True Blue, (FS15102) then I really thinned some MM Bright Blue (FS35183) and lightly oversprayed the plane to lighten the true blue.  When it was cured I took a scuffing pad and rubbed the light coat to bring out some light and dark variation to the color.  Then to lighten it some more I sprayed thinned neutral gray on individual panels to give it a worn look, more heavily on the bottom.  After a good gloss coat I did the panels with Tamiya dark brown panel line accent.  Pastels added the exhaust stains.  Finished off with MM Dull Coat.  It seems to look right to me. I Hope you like it.  On to the pics.

Ga0WSoi.jpg

01912UN.jpg

yMT7KsR.jpg

OtJLcyN.jpg

j2Xn8wJ.jpg

ZW9H2gW.jpg

uHz0MGT.jpg

fyB7zGz.jpg

You can see in the gear wells where I took some pieces of a photo etch fret and cut them into tabs that would fit into the slot I created. I then glued the gear doors onto the tabs and glued a cross piece onto the tabs to create a stronger joint.  The photo etch fret is pretty flexible so you can then bend the gear doors to the right angles without them snapping off.  Works OK, I will refine it a little next time I do this kit. 

nE11toh.jpg

9kVSfO8.jpg

Edited by Geoff M
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just in time for the D-Day 75th Anniversary theme tomorrow night on June 21 at IPMSOC!

Hobby Boss 1/48 LCM-3. Scratch building includes the entire ramp control system (bow sheaves, equalizing sheave and channel, cable guides, ramp lock release cable, thwartship cable sheaves and guides), cargo hold engine compartment vents, Mark 21-1 mounts, water barrel, bilge pump, boat hooks, life preserver ring rack, navigation lamp mast. rudders, and skegs. The control console was mostly rebuilt, the wheel was reshaped, and scratch engine throttles, ramp winch clutch, gyro compass repeater, and magnetic compass were added. Thachweave Products' hand-woven TW02 fenders were added as was part of the Eduard PE set.

lcm-done03.jpg

lcm-done05.jpg

lcm-done04.jpg

lcm-done08.jpg

lcm-done11.jpg

Edited by dnl42
Still figuring out how calendars work...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Every one, early this year I did a replica of C-FDTD from plane savers. The aircraft participate on D-day, and was left for the last 30 years in Montreal St-Hubert airport. Plane Savers team put her back in the Air, and the model is a replica of DTD in the condition she was before the restauration.

Enjoy the show. This is in 3 episode.

Cheers, 

Boz

• 4 months later...

From the Better Late Than Never Dept.

Done:

DSC00270.jpg

DSC00267.jpg

Spent a pretty big chunk of this group build moving into a bigger apartment down the hall. Part of the deal I made to keep the rent reasonable was to do the repair work in here myself. How bad was it? One of the prior tenants peed on the floor at the foot of his bed... regularly...

So it took a while. But once I got settled in I got back to this. Long story short, the side windows punched out again, this time from the front. The only way out of this one was to split the fuselage. But once it was opened up I glued them in hard. Beyond that, it was all downhill. I wanted to run aerial wires but the best pics on line are restorations and/or mods and there are a lot of variations. Rather than getting them wrong I just skipped them. Engines are Quickboost and both were short-shot on some way-one is missing a chunk of head (one pushrod cover instead of two on that one) and the other is missing the box on the front. Props are robbed from the Monogram B-17G kit to be correct for Sugar Puss.

So that's it-she's done. And it doesn't take up a whole lot of space.

Edited by WymanV
no preview feature