48th scale B-26 Conversion on Ebay

A modeler has designed a Monogram B-26A (Short Wing) Conversion and is selling them on Ebay.  Product is NOT all that bad; BUT, needs a lot of work to be usable.  He currently is building it on another Site and it seems that he's running into alot of work!!  He didn't use the left forward nose section at all????  So why have it????  (Master was cracked; but, was cast and sold anyway?)

Can it be built???  Sure.  I've learned something.  Don't buy something like this UNTIL the Caster builds it and has several GOOD photos of the finished Conversion!!

It's gonna be interest to follow his build!! I wanna see that Tail Gun position when finished!!  Props???  Canopy, that NOT part of conversion but should be.

Bo

I haven’t done a head-to- head comparison; but, I’d like to have seen some instructions or parts list?? For subject experts, it may not be necessary!! If I was an expert, I’d made my own conversion.

Oh well,  just look for completed model with GOOD photos BEFORE ya buy!

A learning experience for all!! I hope??

Bo

1 hour ago, nspreitler said:

Interesting.  I could be wrong, but it looks like a poorly done copy of the Lonestar conversion.  

48-lone-star-26-marauder-shortspan_1_43449773834095fd02e4d04c1846ea07.jpg

Hummmm, this photo doesn't look like the parts of the Short Wing Conversion as shown on Lone Star's website?????  Updated version???

Bo

There are two different short wing conversions, lone star, and 109ace that sells on eBay. They aren't the same.  Mike at Lonestar does update his conversions/kits sometimes between moldings, I know the engine cowlings have changed between releases cause he sent me an updated pair. Why not email Mike and ask? He also posts here sometimes.

2 hours ago, Charlie D. said:

There are two different short wing conversions, lone star, and 109ace that sells on eBay. They aren't the same.  Mike at Lonestar does update his conversions/kits sometimes between moldings, I know the engine cowlings have changed between releases cause he sent me an updated pair. Why not email Mike and ask? He also posts here sometimes.

Yeah, I am aware of both Conversion sets.  One would think that the Lone Star Website would have the very latest version which doesn't look like this one posted above???  Oh well.

Bo

smh...

I got the set the day he announced it. I would think anyone planning to do the build would know something about the B-26 and wouldn't need instructions-what would they say beyond "replace this wing with that wing", "replace this cowl with that cowl", "replace this stabilizer with that stabilizer"... Doesn't take an expert to figure that out.

Even a resin conversion on this scale from suppliers like Cutting Edge take a bit of modeling experience and willingness to slug it out and make something of the parts supplied. I haven't done one yet that was shake & bake.

You would think conversion would provide benefit of experienced build?? Ooops, designer never built own creation!! Funny, didn’t use left forward fuselage?? Gotta test fly any new aircraft!

The tail gun and transparency will be interesting!

Bo

Gotta give this Conversion Creator some credit for effort!!  That Tail Gun position, as per his kit, was gonna be a BEAR to make look decent!!  He revised it so we'll have to wait for final verdict!!    One verdict is already in!!  DON'T BUY ANY MAJOR conversion until you see it BUILT!!!

Bo

2 hours ago, echolmberg said:

Bo,

I'd  be interested in seeing the person's in-progress build.  Can you share the web site of where this is taking place?

Eric

It's in Plastic Pix of HS.  Hope this isn't against the rules here????

Bo

To this guy’s credit, as he builds his conversion, he’s releasing improved and missing items to make an early B-26.

His prop conversion is still problematic. Best just lift one from P-61??

Still want to see that tail gun when finished.

Bo

1 hour ago, Whiskey said:

We're talking about the seller 109ace yes? He's got a Bronco correction/update set that I'm interested in but I don't know how it holds up. Anybody know anything about it?

Have you seen the built up conversion? It might be wise to see one, first.

I bought the complete Bronco set. IMHO, it was less than impressive. Maybe I was expecting too much but most of the long components, stuff like the leading and trailing edges of the wing components were not strait,. Not warped but bowed inward along the pour lines if that makes sense.I don't think it can be corrected. You can heat resin to take the warp out but I don't think you can do anything to fix this. The rocket tubes exhibited the same bowing. Cockpit and wheel wells looked usable as well as the wheels. Guess the smaller parts held their shape better in the mold? Granted it was a cheaply priced set so I think the old adage you get what you pay for holds true. 

8 hours ago, Whiskey said:

We're talking about the seller 109ace yes? He's got a Bronco correction/update set that I'm interested in but I don't know how it holds up. Anybody know anything about it?

I got the Bronco set but haven't built it yet. The resin isn't bad...we'll see how the build goes, when I get around to it.

• 2 weeks later...

He made his last update to the B-26A Conversion 7 days ago.  He did say he would do other business things for a couple of days before he'd get back to this build.  ????  Still wonder about that tail gun position?  With his new plug to aid in installation of new transparency, putting in gunner seat and gun will be DIFFICULT, to say the least.

Still waiting.

Bo

Again, to the B-26A Conversion Modelers credit, he's finding more and more errors in his original release; but, is incorporating these corrected parts in his new conversions!  A new prop spinner is added. At least he's listening to others that know something about this subject!!  TBD is the final installment of that Tail Gun position and transparency!!

Wish the Big Boy Mfgrs would do the same to their releases!!

At 75, still learning!!  DO NOT buy anything like this UNTIL you see it built!!

Bo

Edited by jabow
added info

Latest is that model is in it's War Paint!  Still no Tail Gun install; much less detailed gun position!  Waiting for those photos!!  Haven't seen model painted and weathered but STILL not finished major assembly??????  Oh well.

Bo

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, jabow said:

Work on this conversion seems to have grind to a halt!! The Resin Mfgr hasn't made any progress in some time now.  Wonder how that tail gun position is coming along????

Bo

I think it might be a moot point. The original molds have worn out and he has stated he's not going to make new ones, as he feels everyone who wanted one got one. So, there won't be any new sets.

On 1/8/2019 at 5:46 PM, Dafixer said:

I bought the complete Bronco set. IMHO, it was less than impressive. Maybe I was expecting too much but most of the long components, stuff like the leading and trailing edges of the wing components were not strait,. Not warped but bowed inward along the pour lines if that makes sense.I don't think it can be corrected. You can heat resin to take the warp out but I don't think you can do anything to fix this. The rocket tubes exhibited the same bowing. Cockpit and wheel wells looked usable as well as the wheels. Guess the smaller parts held their shape better in the mold? Granted it was a cheaply priced set so I think the old adage you get what you pay for holds true. 

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate well thought out constructive critiques. Because of it, I have redone the Bronco set. I have eliminated the large 3 piece main wing, and underside weapons. Always difficult parts to mold, and cast. Very rough on the molds.I learned that less is more. I eliminated the main wings and now supply three piece inserts to the kit wings. Cuts are made on natural panel lines. They extend the distance between the fuselage and the nacelles, and shorten the length of the wing panels outside the nacelles These three pieces save much of the plastic kit wing. With these changesn and pruning of unneccessary parts, I also lowered then price. Sales have always been good , but have increased with the new changes. Maybe check it out.The powers that be will not allow me to post Ebay links. I get it, It's a control thing. I'll play along....Message me your address and I'll send you a new set.