MiG-29 rudder backdate

Now that I have the Begemot decals for the Trumpeter 1/72nd scale MiG-29, I think I need to backdate the kit's rudder to an early one. I just don't know if all I need to do is cut by the red line or if it's just not possible to backdate with only one cut. If it's not, I'll just use the rudder as it is and live with it...

49819291_2346049268801283_40891201048920

It all depends on which era you want to show the aircraft. Which version will it be? In principle the early 9-12’s had the short rudder. But they also had a lot of other differences too from later models:

No flare dispensers, 4 part slats, missing bump next to the auxiliary top intakes, early gun blast panel, early nose gear doors with additional deflector . . .  and lots more.

But if you just cut the rudder trailing edge and give it a good profile, that should do it too. It's all up to you.  

Best regards

Gabor

This regiment recive first MiG-29s in 1986, its were aircraft from 18 and 20th series - without forefins, with chaff falre dispensors, with small area rudders. I'm not shure that guardian badge were placed just in 1986 or 1987, its were definatle on aircrafts in 1990 and later.

Yeah, you're right. I'll keep trying to find more photos of that particular aircraft. If I come up with nothing, I'll just have to take some "artistic liberty" and build it with the rudders as they are 😄