Best Matt (or flat) coating for my BUFF-H

Guys...My BUFF-H is decaled and sealed with Future. I'm ready for the flat coat now. I know about Tester's flat. Its pretty good. But I know there's other...maybe better flat coats out there.
What is best....and/or your favorite flat coat?

Thanks

Paul

Edited by pminer
1 hour ago, Helmsman said:

Tamiya XF-86 Flat Clear is the best in my book closely followed by Alclad Clear Kote Flat.

Thanks! Does it play well with Future? Or maybe....what doesn't it play well with if anything..?

Edited by pminer

I use Microscale Industries Micro Flat. It's a really good flat coat that thins with water. I used to use Model Master Flat Lacquer (bottled version of Dullcoat), but it wasn't that flat. I also use their Micro Satin. For a gloss clear coat, I use Mr Color Gloss Clear (C46). These all dry very quickly!

I don't bother with a gloss clear coat beneath the decals when I use Mr Color gloss colors or Alcald--they're already glossy enough.

I'm with dn142. I really like the look and behavior of Micro Flat and have been using it ever since Polly Scale Flat went down the tubes. Micro Flat doesn't give a dead flat finish. If you want that, you can add a bit of Tamiya Flat Base.

2 hours ago, 11bee said:

Sprays great as long as you use MM lacquer thinner.   

Curious to hear what your experiences were with non-MM lacquer thinner. I've used Dullcote with hardware store, Mr Color, and Tamiya lacquer thinners and have had no issues.

40 minutes ago, Ichitoe said:

Curious to hear what your experiences were with non-MM lacquer thinner. I've used Dullcote with hardware store, Mr Color, and Tamiya lacquer thinners and have had no issues.

I should have rephrased..   I’ve only used MM thinner.   Figured better safe then sorry but no reason other thinners wouldn’t work.  

Been using Dullcoat (or whatever Testors is calling now) for years. Used to thin it with just hardware store lacquer thinner. I use Mr Color Leveling thinner now. Works great. Thought of trying something else, but I never do. I guess I just don't think there is any reason to change when I already have a product I know works and I know how it behaves.

Thanks guys!

This is the thing. I've used Testors Dullcoat for years. But...it's too flat. I want more of a matt coat that isn't too flat. And...something that plays well with Future. It looks like Micro Flat is the best pick.

Edited by pminer