This is too broad of a question. They are not as good as Tamiya, but some of them are quite good. I built Su-33 and Fuga Magister and have M-346 in stash. Fouga is ok kit, other two are very good but again not as good as modern Tamiya. 

AMK Tomcat is not released yet, there is a long topic in Jet Modeling section with hilarious discussion.

In comparison to Tamiya, Kinetic doesn't compete in terms of aircraft.  Most Kinetic kits can be built up to look good but they have fit issues and shape issues in general. In fairness they do have plenty of ordnance in their boxings though.:coolio:

the latest IPMS Canada issue has a build article on the 1/48 CF-5's that indicates they aren't the easiest build.  A little disappointing for me as I have a couple planned for this year.  Regardless, the author does produce nice results in the end.

10 hours ago, Alternative 4 said:

I think price should be a consideration too, how do they compare on price?

I am glad to hear the Hornets are good kits, I have a RCAF one in my stash.

I think Kinetic is very competitive on price you can get the latest f-18 releases for less than $65 if you shop around.

You'd be better off asking about a particular kit. Even Tamiya have some kits that I wouldn't consider good. , those from the 1970s for example.

Kinetic haven't been around as ling as Tamiya, nor do the have the money Tamiya has. That said they have come a long way and they are improving with each new tool.

I've built their Sea Harrier and Mirage III and they are the best kits of thise subjects in 48 scale. Neither were Tamiya quality in terms of fit but they weren't particularly difficult either. Detail is pretty good , they come with reasonable weapons in box (unlike Hasegawa ) they have excellent decals, better than many aftermarket sets.

Finally, as a couple of the other posters have mentioned they are excellent value. 

Edited by a4s4eva

Just a few selection to the vague questions with respect to some modern fighters.

List is based on your question of 1/48 between Tamiya and Kinetic

EA-6B Kinetic ONLY no comparison can be done

A-6 Kinetic ONLY no comparison can be 2 versions

ALPHA Kinetic ONLY no comparison can be done

AMX-T Kinetic ONLY no comparison can be done

A-10 Warthog Tamiya ONLY no comparison can be done

F-5 Kinetic ONLY no comparison can be done

F-14 Tomcat Tamiya ONLY no comparison can be done many versions

C2/C7 Kinetic ONLY no comparison can be done

FOUGA Kinetic ONLY no comparison can be done

FRS.1 Harrier Kinetic -good kit //Tamiya - older kit not sure if it is available.

FA2 Kinetic ONLY no comparison can be done

F-15 Eagle Tamiya ONLY no comparison can be done

F-16 Falcon Both many comparisons can be done, Kinetic has many more versions available. Early F-16 kits has issues but the latest releases have greatly improved.

F/A-18 Hornet  Kinetic ONLY no comparison can be done - some guy in here is gone mad and is building a few. Many versions

F-21 Kinetic ONLY no comparison can be done

F-22 Raptor Neither Company No comparison avail

F-35 Lightning II Neither Company No comparison avail

Mirage Kinetic ONLY no comparison can be done - many versions

SU-33 Kinetic ONLY no comparison can be done

T45 Kinetic ONLY no comparison can be done

T-Harrier Kinetic ONLY no comparison can be done

This is a quick listing and not comprehensive. You can simply look up the subject your looking for in google as "Tamiya F-15 1/48 review" and substitute companies and subjects.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

AFM

Good enough kits for me. Sometimes difficult to put together, but that's what modelling is all about.

I like the range of 1/48 kits they have released, and those which are to be released this year, especially that 1/48 IA-58 Pucará kit.

I don't think there's a point in comparing Kinetic to Tamiya; some of the Tamiya kits I built have been an awful disappointment, i.e., the 1/48 SHar and the 1/48 Warthog...

Their Mirage (both III and 5) and Harrier range of kits are just awesome.

Cheers,

Onigiri

1 hour ago, Doppelgänger said:

some of the Tamiya kits I built have been an awful disappointment, i.e., the 1/48 SHar and the 1/48 Warthog...

You do realize those molds are at least 40 years old?

The quality of most manufacturers kits increase over time, so lumping Big T's A-10 with their more recent kits is comparing apples to caviar.  Even Kinetic's quality has increased since their initial F-16s but they are not yet rivals to Tamiya's currrent releases in terms of quality.

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

You do realize those molds are at least 40 years old?

Of course I do, Nestor... :rolleyes: So what? Their GR.1 kit was even older and still was a lot better than that FRS.1 joke.

And as for their A-10, the kit was good, only that shapewise it was a prototype, not a production aircraft - WHICH IS WHAT I MEANT!

Tamiya certainly don't need a barrister to defend them against a modeller's opinion, you know? Read between the lines.

Each kit can be hit and miss and best not always to just sum up one company against another.  Recommend to the original poster to do research on each subject of interest.  Or post a question on which is the best F-16C block 50 kit (be specific) on the market.

Everyone (correction many) think(s) the Tamiya F-15 is the best on the market because it's made by Tamiya.  Not the case, but they do have the best F-16C block 50.  But if you want the F-16D block 50, well Tamiya doesn't make that, but are offerings Hasegawa and Kinetics.

Edited by Jonathan S

1 hour ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

If you would read carefully, it is a listing of 1/48 K vs T...the comparisons are done by google and reading the reviews. If it seems ambiguous to you, its because it wasn't meant to be an all comprehensive review, a listing only of a few kits in that specific range. As per the original question, it was opened ended query to what K vs T has provided to the model community. So the comment you have made really doesn't hold much water in contributing to this conversation; nonetheless an opinion has been posted and I am responding to explain my perspective to help contribute to the gentleman's original question.

Kit building is subjective to the builder and the skills they possess and or the willingingness to the kit out of the box or to a higher level. If the question originally posted was specific to the aspect of fit and assembly then comparisons can be made a little easier to answer the gentleman's question more precisely. If the questions was referencing subject accuracy to shape and form, a different set of opinions could be provided by our esteemed experts on their subject matter.

My apologies, didnt read it thoroughly enough 

1 hour ago, Jonathan S said:

Everyone (correction many) think(s) the Tamiya F-15 is the best on the market because it's made by Tamiya. Not the case

There. I'd completely forgotten about that one. 

Silly comparisons I don't think they'd add much to the original poster's enquiry, because otherwise, the replies would simply be to forget about the Kinetic kits and go get the Tamiya ones.

Hello??? Do Tamiya have a Kfir C2 kit in 1/48th scale, for instance...?

Dear Lord!

I'm mad now, so I rather go take some air.

Onigiri

6 minutes ago, Doppelgänger said:

There. I'd completely forgotten about that one. 

Silly comparisons I don't think they'd add much to the original poster's enquiry, because otherwise, the replies would simply be to forget about the Kinetic kits and go get the Tamiya ones.

Hello??? Do Tamiya have a Kfir C2 kit in 1/48th scale, for instance...?

Dear Lord!

I'm mad now, so I rather go take some air.

Onigiri

I'm confused, but that's not hard.  Have I offended you Onigiri?

I hope not, I do respect you.

1 hour ago, Jonathan S said:

Everyone (correction many) think(s) the Tamiya F-15 is the best on the market because it's made by Tamiya. 

In 1/48, no. 

In 1/32, yes. 

Point being, even within a (any) manufacturer’s offerings, there can be disparity in quality / accuracy.