Can any compressor be used for airbrushing models?

Anthony,  I agree completely that having the driest air is the best.  Water traps(the way that I do it),  a vapor condenser (as you mention), or alternate gas sources like a CO2 or Nitrogen tank are all good ways to mitigate the slop.

👍

16 minutes ago, ytsejam87 said:

Water traps(the way that I do it), 

Don't be stingy, please explain how you do it. I live in the Philippines, water vapor is ALWAYS a problem. While my compressor has a built in vapor trap, it still is unable to prevent all the moisture from spitting out the tip, I need to find a way to clear out the water as close to my brush as possible. Do you have a not so secret method of stopping the water from exiting my brush and ruining my work?

Anthony

2 hours ago, Stalker6recon said:

Don't be stingy, please explain how you do it. I live in the Philippines, water vapor is ALWAYS a problem. While my compressor has a built in vapor trap, it still is unable to prevent all the moisture from spitting out the tip, I need to find a way to clear out the water as close to my brush as possible. Do you have a not so secret method of stopping the water from exiting my brush and ruining my work?

Anthony

There are moister traps that connect directly to the airbrush. I think that is what you need. I used to have the same problems in Florida. Even though I had a trap at the compressor connection, moister would still condense in the line. A moister trap at the airbrush should help remove the moister in the line.

https://www.amazon.com/AW-Airbrush-Filter-Compressor-Moisture/dp/B016DAQIOM/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_60_tr_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=X6CCG9QS9AAMWZWQ12XW&th=1

What Mstor said!

Plus, to help out even more, inline after my compressor and before my airbrush lines, I have one of these:  

https://www.amazon.com/PointZero-Airbrush-Compressor-Regulator-Water-Trap/dp/B004KNAHF6/ref=sr_1_8?crid=15R15EZ5IMUBB&keywords=iwata+moisture+trap&qid=1555345352&s=gateway&sprefix=iwata+moisture+%2Cbeauty%2C144&sr=8-8

then 

on my airbrush hose before the quick disconnect,  I have the iwata version of what mstor posted  (it was part of my iwata eclipse purchase at hobby lobby here in the states) https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Model-Kits/Airbrushes/HP-CS-Eclipse-Airbrush-Kit/p/848

Placing the QD on the output side of the hand held moisture trap allows me to swap airbrushes for different applications.  my eclipse for fine painting, and my neo (with a 0.5 needle set)for single coat thicker paints like duracote.

Sorry, didn't mean to seem stingy.  I know i mentioned to photograph my setup, but given my work area, I cannot get a decent picture. I will try again to take a snapshot.

25 minutes ago, Mstor said:

There are moister traps that connect directly to the airbrush.

Now that is what I am talking about! Thanks a million! In the Philippines, more water than air comes out of my brushes, it's that humid here. This is exactly what I need. Unfortunately this page/item does not ship to the Philippines, but it gives me a jumping off point to find one that does, probably via ebay (can you say "rip off" in Chinese?)

Anyway, thanks a bunch!

Anthony

10 minutes ago, ytsejam87 said:

Sorry, didn't mean to seem stingy

Not at all brother, that "stingy" comment was in jest. I was just wanting more info is all, I have a weird personality, what I call humor, others call nuts or pompous, depends who you ask. Anyway, what you linked is even more in line with what I think I need. I bought a compressor on Amazon a few years back, and it is one of those generic no name compressors (I am perpetually poor, mostly because my wife and I rescue cats and dogs, but mostly cats). Anyway, the kit included FOUR airbrushed, but I also bought a paasche (however you spell it) airbrush, not really knowing if it is any good. Bad part, it has hose links that don't fit my compressor, so it has sat in a box for years not being used. I have not found the right coupler yet, but I haven't looked really hard either. It is only now, after nearly a decade of waiting that I can FINALLY start building again. Anyway, the compressor is the exact same as other brand names, but I don't trust the regulator at all, it is vague anyway, I was hoping to find an online regulator that is adjustable to the half pound, but I won't be greedy, as long as it is accurate.

Do you like the setup you have? Would just the online regulator/water trap be enough? (remember, I am broke, like $12 in my account BROKE!) or do I need to suck it up and get the filter AND the regulator/filter combo?

Thanks guys, this is a huge help for me!

Anthony

All good!  You and your wife have a good heart rescuing pets, i commend you both for that!

Everything i have read has been "moisture traps closer to the airbrush are better".  

However, given an eye on the budget, I would try the bigger trap/regulator (two functions in one unit) first, and see if that setup sputters spraying onto newspaper.  I would also try this on days of highest humidity, to see what happens.  If the trap/regulator doesn't work, you can either limit your paint times to when it is drier, or add the trap that attaches to the airbrush. 

I live in "amish country" here in PA, which, i am sure does not have anywhere close to the humidity of the Philippines.  So, with my advice goes the caveat, "your mileage may vary'!

5 minutes ago, ytsejam87 said:

humidity of the Philippines.  So, with my advice goes the caveat, "your mileage may vary'! 

Let's put it this way, it's one AM here and the current humidity is 81%. By noon tomorrow, it will be up to around 90+%. Or in other words, my sweat sweats!

Probably 5 in line filters and I will be OK. Now for the scary part, I have found literally dozens of inline filters on ebay, for a few bucks and free shipping, guess that won't hurt to try, after all, it is just a few dollars each, and I mean less than three dollars with free shipping, so I am going to give it a try.

Do you by chance know the size of the paasche hose line coupler? I really want to get that working, the free no name brand brushes seem to work OK, but maybe that one is truly better and will show that when I get it running. I need to order the parts online, but have no clue what the size of coupler they use.

Thanks,

Anthony

Forgot to add, as for rescuing cats, it has been a pleasure and a curse. We have lots of successful rescues, including one cat with cancer (she got expensive quick) but lots of heartbreak as well. We just lost our home after 5 years living there, and we are unable to keep all the cats indoors anymore (they literally destroyed our last home, felt bad, but we paid to get it cleaned up) so now we are adopting them out, and we have dozens of cats that need homes, it sucks, but that is what we have to do. I also thought about the last 5 years, how much money and heartache we have been thru, and decided that I want to regain a life, which means no more rescuing. It is only because we got booted from our last home, that I am able to build models again. In the last house, the cats would have destroyed any kit I even tried to build. Now I have a secure room and no cats inside, which is why I am on a frenzy trying to find the gear I need to build properly.

We are keeping a dozen cats, but the rest have to go to new homes, just hope it happens fairly quick, we actually lost one last Friday, hit by a neighbors car. It was an accident, but I asked them to drive slowly, and they got their knickers in a twist and got real defensive about it, now they drive past at 50mph, a war is brewing between us, and we only just moved in. We lived in the same neighborhood for 5 years and never lost a cat. In the new house less than a month, and we already had to bury one, sucks, she was one of my girls too, her name was Selina, but we called her "birdy" based on her low mass, very light kitty, but plump, it was weird.

• 1 month later...

When I was teaching airbrushing I used a compressor more often seen in auto spray shops... Which is exactly where I got it.
Mostly because of the large tank gave a large amount of constant air.
Couldnt hear the compressor while in the studio I had set up, but yeah, with the right fittings anything can be used... Even a fire extinguisher will provide mobile compressed air.

On 4/15/2019 at 1:12 PM, ytsejam87 said:

All good!  You and your wife have a good heart rescuing pets, i commend you both for that!

Everything i have read has been "moisture traps closer to the airbrush are better".  

However, given an eye on the budget, I would try the bigger trap/regulator (two functions in one unit) first, and see if that setup sputters spraying onto newspaper.  I would also try this on days of highest humidity, to see what happens.  If the trap/regulator doesn't work, you can either limit your paint times to when it is drier, or add the trap that attaches to the airbrush. 

I have the trap/regulator that was linked a few posts up, and live on Long Island, in NY, so our humidity level is pretty close to what you see up in PA.  

As a regulator, it works.  I have nothing to compare it to, so I cant say how well... but, it does work. 

As a water trap, it works, but it can be better.  I do not have an additional inline trap on my airbrush hose, and I have noticed that on occasion, the brush will spit a little water.    However, I have not experienced any bad tendencies due to this, or at least I cant tell if I have or have not.   Before each session, I do blow quite a bit of air through the brush before I load it up and begin painting.  I'm wondering if that has some sort of effect.  Could it be that the condensation forms in the hose between sessions, and is simply blown out before I begin, not re-forming until the hose is idle for a few days?  

• 4 weeks later...

You can use any compressor capable to generate constant flow if 16 psi or less from a piston ,a large tank for reserve air down to to a makeup air pump pressure up to 16psi is enough be aware to adapt (in a piston compressor ) water separator and regulator even knowing those have a simple valve that relive air from chamber and always can be improved with a air tank (reservoir) today you can find real cheap airbrush 2/3 stage with needles for fine to extra fine lines With real good reviews  I got a China copy of iwata That is excellent a cheap badger and a generic single stage one remember to take calm and spray in one Swift move and uniformly paint depress button after a complete pass .on low pressure and light paint well diluted,( clean after each use)  

PS: Remember paints can be sprayed over other types ,model master regular Testors ,akan, and textures, remember to clear coat pain if is water base ,MIG,AK, and many more. Have adequate protection.  Metalizer paints need to be careful ( those ,real good for engine's and replace bare metal foil ) cause are based on lacker thinner that is hot for soft plastic . Need a base coat and polished after dried to have better look more realistic . 

• 3 weeks later...

I’m resurrecting this thread with a spin-off question. I have a California Air Tools compressor and a long regular airbrush hose  using QDs to connect with my airbrush. The brush has a male qd and the hose a female qd. 

I am in a relatively dry climate area and usually have no issue with water in the airflow, but ... Recently I have sprayed using the .4mm needle/nozzle combo with my H&S Infinity and have had what I think are water splotches (never noticed this using the .2 or .15mm needles) so looking at installing  this between the current hose and brush, then adding an additional hose to connect the regulator and airbrush. I am unsure however, from the product description, just what additional fittings I will need to complete the set-up. I think all I need would be two more female connectors for the hose, but ... not sure.

The best way to do this, is order the filter and find the fittings once it's in hand. There is no better way to assuring a proper chain, than having the chain parts in hand. Bring the hose from the compressor, the new middle part (filter) and the hose that is going to connect to the filter and airbrush, if your current hose attachment doesn't match the filter out of the box.

This way, there is no mistakes and you get exactly what you need for your configuration. That would be my advice, I am dealing with the same issues.

Good luck, should be pretty simple actually, especially if you have all the parts in hand. The old saying, "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it"....... I feel the same way about firearms😁!

Cheers,

Anthony

Something good from Badgers airbrush: they come with a water trap filter built-in hose .

Any compressor with or without reserve air tank like "car body shop" work. Just keep in mind pressure and water/moisture . Over 20 psi in my humble opinion is not needed. 

Edited by velosirraptor1
Incomplete

My answer is yes , I have seen a great results with Badgers electric motor air pump , even with a "beauty salon" nail airbrush pump (same as a body paint airbrush, pump) also airbrush that comes with . Just different in quality . A Campbell air tank can work if you have a pump to fill the tank , just add regulator PSI gauge, a separator for oil and water , and an air filter walaaa! (You just need a constant air flow dry and clean ) watch a sale app like get in eBay as example and try to get one of those old Badgers style (plenty of replacement parts) or speedy piston oil free For $30.00 or less (some can work up to 25psi , 20 psi more than enough ) iwata super quiet pump light duty , is like China Generic beauty salon air pump for airbrush nail and body paint . Get filters, separator and regulator with your choice of airbrush .with time and expertise you will get a taste for brand name airbrush , sincerely some China hobby airbrush generic or copy of brand names will work pretty close to brand one some interchangeable parts . For the time they last a cheap ones you can have one for each different job . Quick connector work in a painting bench. Always clean after work is life for tools.

Edited by velosirraptor1