A-10 Thunderbolt II in 1/48 scale: What Brand?

40 minutes ago, Salineated Michigander said:

Gentleman:

I'm strongly considering buying the Warthog in 1/48.  

As I know many of you are savant-level in your assessments of aircraft, I would be interested in hearing your opinions of which brand to buy.  

So far, by my own scant reviews it seems Hobby Boss has the edge in desirability and satisfaction

Hobbyboss......hands down, but it's not without it's issues depending on what model of the jet you're building.  I used my build for my A-10C, and it turned out really well!

Edited by ORANGF15Guy

I have built the ancient Tamiya kit as that was what was available at the time. It was okay but had more prototype features than production. Only changed a few things but the construction was very nice.

Now I have several Monogram kits and it is a lot better. I am not a big fan of the Hobby Boss kit as that nose bugs me a bit and the door for the ground refuelling port on the port pylon is not correct. I think I can fix both of these issues if I do pick it up at a good price. Also the rivets are not correct and as we all know the A-10 is very bumpy with rivets.

Edited by skyhawk174
16 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

Built the Monogram A-10A kit and was amazed by the Hobby Boss A-10 N/AW

I don't have the HB A-10N/AW but I do have the Trumpeter one which I believe is the same thing but in 1/32nd. I am not even going to build it as what it should be as they only made one and it is Gunship Grey. Not too enticing. I plan a what-if in RCAF markings similar to the Voodoo scheme.

Edited by skyhawk174
3 hours ago, Salineated Michigander said:

Thanks for the comments, gents.  Sounds like Hobby Boss or Revellogram it is. 

I'm not really a stickler for exact detail like a lot of you are, just want to know which brand offers the most trouble-free and straight forwards assembly process.  

From my experience and from what I've read, the HB is a more trouble-free build than the Revellogram, and it has the LASTE antennas molded on. The Revellogram is reputed to have the best overall shape, especially from the cockpit forward, but it's got a bunch of pretty significant fit issues.

15 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

I don't have the HB A-10N/AW but I do have the Trumpeter one which I believe is the same thing but in 1/32nd. I am not even going to build it as what it should be as they only made one and it is Gunship Grey. Not too enticing. 

Chris! :wave:

Can't you get it a nice set of new decals? Did you fancy doing an Euro1 scheme instead?  You're going to waste a nice A-10 kit doing a What-If outa it.

Gunship Gray is not a too enticing scheme, I concur.

Cheers,

Origami

Been with the Revellogram for years. VERY satisfied with it....although there are some fit issues. But it definitely offers the Best Bang for the Buck. You can pick one up dirt cheap at almost any model show.

I don't have the HB offering but hear it's really nice too. If I didn't have so many dang Projects in the stash I'd definitely have the HB offering too. My 2 cents worth....

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Italeri's Warthog has a fair amount going for it and can be built well. Only thing is you are practically required to get aftermarket cockpit etch for it and resin engine fans as those are the biggest shortcomings of the kit. Thankfully Eduard's etch does the job nicely in the front while Quickboost's resin engine fans are a drop fit and both can be obtained for very little cash outlay. The nose issues can be fixed with some clever sanding.

I have always been a fan of the look and feel (if that makes sense) of the Monogram/Revell Hawg. Tricky build yes, and it may need some lumps and bumps added depending on the era you're modeling, but to me it just looks the part. Can't beat the cost either.

My two cents added.

Regards,

Don

Ok for the best out line and shape Monogram, Its a early A model with a pre INS cockpit. Also It may have both RHAW antennas molded on (ALR-47 & ALR-69). Easiest assembly is the hobby boss. We truly need a state of the art 1/48th A-10 kit. You can't even model a Desert Storm hog accurately OOB right now. Let alone all the junk they've added to it til now.