F-4S loadouts mid 80's

Hello everyone,

I just bought an F-4S model and want to know what a typical loadout would be for the jets stationed at Atsugi Japan during the mid 80s. I figure air to air was the norm but not sure of what type of -9s were carried by them at that time. And, if they ever did carry air to ground, what would have been usual for that time as well for them.Thanks everyone.

Pat,

Pat,was that the S out at the mall I was going to back for?

I talked to EJ about load outs on J's and a few of the Hawaii based Marine guys,if ship borne,it was J sidewinders I think,Sparrows in the back wells and centerline tank.A2G I have no idea outside of the Vietnam jets

Lol,it's ok Pat,I was just about to buy it last weekend but put it back when I finally came to my senses,I'm sticking to the USAF variants,I eyed the AC-47 as well but have enough Gooney Birds as is. Hopefully the C-54 is still there though,if not,no biggie.

I did look thru my books,you plan on painting it in the TPS scheme? I did see a pic of an 161 F-4S in TPS with a centerline and a 9L on the outer port rail only.

I believe the other pkane is still there. I ordered decals for the S already and I believe it will be a solid medium gray scheme. That would help me since I haven't gotten a model together in forever. The easier the paint jobs right now, tge better. I have an Academy F-4B, J, and now this S. I am also building a B for a guy's dad who was with Beaufort in the early 70s.

Hi Kurt, 

Yeah, I have seen very few photos. I even dug up an olde book just on Phantoms and the few S pics were not very helpful. I did see a model on ARC that appears to have AIM-9L/Ms. I imagine that is how this one will be loaded out. I will just go full air to air and tanks.

The Air to Air missiles would be the AIM-9M Sidewinder and AIM-7F Sparrow.

For air to ground ordnance, IIRC the most common was Mk 82's with either conical or Snakeye fins. You can also do Mk 20 Rockeye's or LAU-10 Rocket Launchers.

If you are going to do a CATM-9 remember it will not have any wings or fins and the TACTS Pod will not have the ballasts like they do today.

1 hour ago, Exgbuloader said:

I believe the other pkane is still there. I ordered decals for the S already and I believe it will be a solid medium gray scheme. That would help me since I haven't gotten a model together in forever. The easier the paint jobs right now, tge better. I have an Academy F-4B, J, and now this S. I am also building a B for a guy's dad who was with Beaufort in the early 70s.

Cool,I'm focusing on the Zoukie Mura F-4's,only have the C but the kit needs very little aftermarket if any depending on how you want to build it,I still have a bunch of the Hasegawa kits though and one Academy C that will be no frill,I don't care about detailing builds. For the USN/USMC Phantoms, you still can't beat the Hasegawa J's and S's.

1 hour ago, Exgbuloader said:

GW,

Thanks for the info, I think that is the route I am going and I had thought about four TERs and 12X82s.

You can do MER's on the outboard station and have 18x82's.

Plus a centerline tank, CATM-9M and TACTS Pod and you would have a very realistic training load out, as if the squadron was at Fallon for training.

11 minutes ago, Exgbuloader said:

GW,

That is a thought, I tjought only the Marines trained that hard in air to ground delivery. But, if the Navy birds did as well, then I certainly have the weapons kits to do it up right. 

Yea, the Navy trained with air to mud ordnance also, the aircrew had to keep their quals plus do CWTPI.

CWTPI - Conventional Weapons Technical Proficiency Inspection. Basically, 5 days of hell for the ordies because that's when the wing came down and inspected the ordnance shop to see if they can load anything and everything the aircraft could carry, in addition to the aircrew being able to deliver it.

GW,

I was a weapons loader in the Air Force and Air National Guard for over 22 years and the toughest times I remember was having to do nuclear surety inspections for NATO inspection teams in Europe. We were ran into the dirt every day for about three or four days and not only did we load everything an F-16 could carry conventionally for our commitment but also the nuclear portion toward the end all while wearing chemical gear. But, I do miss it. 

11 minutes ago, Exgbuloader said:

GW,

I was a weapons loader in the Air Force and Air National Guard for over 22 years and the toughest times I remember was having to do nuclear surety inspections for NATO inspection teams in Europe. We were ran into the dirt every day for about three or four days and not only did we load everything an F-16 could carry conventionally for our commitment but also the nuclear portion toward the end all while wearing chemical gear. But, I do miss it. 

Retired Navy Ordnanceman (20 years), did A-7E's, F-14A/B/D, F-18A-F and Station Weapons, along with F-14 Instructor duty. Loaded everything from Mk 106's up to B61's along with maintaining the aircraft's weapon systems.👍

I do miss it sometimes, then my body reminds me of all the crap I went through and that I can't do that stuff anymore.😀

GW, 

Amen brother, my back and shoulders are shot from hefting missiles and pulling and tugging bombs off of trailers. I worked A-10s briefly but 16s were my life until 2007. I had to cross train to stay at my base so I went Intel and became an Imagery Analyst working with drones, U-2s, and satellites. 

On a B61 note, did the F/A-18C have the ability to carry B61s? If so, what was their primary station for carriage? Ours was the right outboard on the 16.

11 hours ago, Exgbuloader said:

GW, 

Amen brother, my back and shoulders are shot from hefting missiles and pulling and tugging bombs off of trailers. I worked A-10s briefly but 16s were my life until 2007. I had to cross train to stay at my base so I went Intel and became an Imagery Analyst working with drones, U-2s, and satellites. 

On a B61 note, did the F/A-18C have the ability to carry B61s? If so, what was their primary station for carriage? Ours was the right outboard on the 16.

Yes, stations 2 and 8 (outboard wing stations).