F-4E w/ Pave Tack

1 hour ago, Piker38 said:

I never saw a Pave Tack carried by an Alconbury Phantom...........

They did carry them in the mid to late 80s. When RAF Alconbury's runway was closed for repairs they were based at RAF Wyton for the duration of and they used to taxi past our Sqn office window with the pod fitted to the centre line.

5 hours ago, Jabba29 said:

They did carry them in the mid to late 80s. When RAF Alconbury's runway was closed for repairs they were based at RAF Wyton for the duration of and they used to taxi past our Sqn office window with the pod fitted to the centre line.

Blimey !  How did I miss THAT ???   Time to break out my slides to see if I shot any Alconbury birds carrying the pod.

Deffo didn't notice at the time........

44 minutes ago, achterkirch said:

I think it was planned but they signed the cease fire before it could happen so they cancelled it. 

I'll have to dig into my books.  Thought they deployed to Turkey and got a few missions in dropping CBU's.  Not sure if the PAVE TACK's saw any use though. 

I did a 3rd TFS F-4E with the pod a few years back. Took me a few years to research this jet which also deployed to Incirlik in ´91.

Finally I had contact with its assigned Pilot and his Backseater which flew that one from the PI to Turkey and lead the 3rd TFS first combat mission, although in 73-1199. with CBU-87´s.

I used DJ Parkins Gunsmoke range PT pod. This one is made for the F-111 so I had to scratch the nose cone and pylon. On the ground there is ususally a air conditioning adapter attached to the pod. Since I did not like to spoil the pod´s shape I build a diorama where a ground crew just removed the adapter.

Here is the in progress thread.

And here the finished model.

Cheers

Scout

left_Maschi_top_klein.2.jpg

Edited by SCOUT712
5 hours ago, achterkirch said:

I found where I read the info at. 

https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/usa/f-4e.html

Interesting load.  Only two CBU-87’s, suspended from “special weapons” adapters?   

Seems like a pretty light load.   Anyone have details on those adapters?  

Might be a cool subject for a build, the final combat sortie by a US Phantom.  

Edited by 11bee

That depends. A CBU-87 weighs in at 1000 pounds. F-14s on their final cruise went over the beach with one each GBU-38 and GBU-12.  It all depends on the target and how it is weaponeered. No need to carry more than required.  Ref. the special weapons adapter. Mark Hasara aka Sluggo here on thethe forum took pics of it which show up in Jake Melampy's Modern Phantom Guide, but they can also be found on the net. It's a huge peace of metal which carries a MAU-12 weapons adapter which is normally found in the pylons of the F-4. The special weapons adapter was screwed directly to the inboard pylon where the MAU-12 was usually located. Therfore the pylon did not feature any sway braces anymore. If you follow the in progress link I provided before, you'll see a picture of the scratch built adapter. BTW the article above which explains the 3rd TFS involvement in DS is wrong in assuming that the special weapons adapter was carried on both sides. Only the left inner pylon carried it. On the right side the CBU-87 was directly attached to the inboard pylon. 4 missions were flown, the second one resulted in a no drop due to wrongly inserted coordinates in the AN/ARN-101 , resulting in the pilot being not 100% sure of the target. Their wingman did also not drop since they noticed lead to abort the run. The very first mission was flown with 73-1199 as lead, marked as 13th AF flagship and 73-1198 as wingman, the only one of the 4 deployed jets without shark teeth. Furthermore 1199 was loaded later with Pave Tack an 2 GBU-10 on the inboards. The target was supposed to be an Iraqi Airbus A-300, but the mission was not flown due to the ceasefire.
Cheers

Scout

9 hours ago, SCOUT712 said:

That depends. A CBU-87 weighs in at 1000 pounds. F-14s on their final cruise went over the beach with one each GBU-38 and GBU-12.  It all depends on the target and how it is weaponeered. No need to carry more than required.  Ref. the special weapons adapter. Mark Hasara aka Sluggo here on thethe forum took pics of it which show up in Jake Melampy's Modern Phantom Guide, but they can also be found on the net. It's a huge peace of metal which carries a MAU-12 weapons adapter which is normally found in the pylons of the F-4. The special weapons adapter was screwed directly to the inboard pylon where the MAU-12 was usually located. Therfore the pylon did not feature any sway braces anymore. If you follow the in progress link I provided before, you'll see a picture of the scratch built adapter. BTW the article above which explains the 3rd TFS involvement in DS is wrong in assuming that the special weapons adapter was carried on both sides. Only the left inner pylon carried it. On the right side the CBU-87 was directly attached to the inboard pylon. 4 missions were flown, the second one resulted in a no drop due to wrongly inserted coordinates in the AN/ARN-101 , resulting in the pilot being not 100% sure of the target. Their wingman did also not drop since they noticed lead to abort the run. The very first mission was flown with 73-1199 as lead, marked as 13th AF flagship and 73-1198 as wingman, the only one of the 4 deployed jets without shark teeth. Furthermore 1199 was loaded later with Pave Tack an 2 GBU-10 on the inboards. The target was supposed to be an Iraqi Airbus A-300, but the mission was not flown due to the ceasefire.
Cheers

Scout

Thanks for the god info!    Any idea why they used that adapter only on one pylon and not both?     

I guess the 3rd figured to need a maximum of 2 AIM-9s for self defense only. The adapter providing clearance of the missiles rear fins from the TER. Remember the theater of operations was supposed to be the Korean Peninsula where the air threat was not that high back until the 90s, so even a F-4 should have been able to hold its own. 

But this is just a guess.

Cheers

Scout

Hi gents,

I got those following two pics off the internet, can not remember where I got them from, hope the source will not make problems when I post it here. First pic shows the special adapter, I guess for carrying two AIM-9s to have a clearance with CBU-87s

F-4E%20gulf%20special%20adapter%20cbu_1.

F-4E%20gulf%20special%20adapter%20cbu_2.

you can also see the Pave Tack loaded there ...

p.s. is there a pic of the air condition adapter installed ? I guess it was connected to some sort of A/C cart ? thanks ! Gulf war F-4Es were a bit of a mystery 🙂

P.P.S - Just edited my site with this newest info, can SCOUT712 confirm it is OK and in understandable english ? thanks ! https://dstorm.eu/pages/en/usa/f-4e.html

Edited by JakubJakepilot
44 minutes ago, 11bee said:

So when they did the DS CBU missions, they had the PAVE TACK pod mounted?  What purpose would that serve for dropping unguided CBU's?

Hey Scout, I checked out your build, that was a fantastic job!  

More than likely, target designation.