F-4E w/ Pave Tack

On 1/7/2019 at 6:09 PM, 11bee said:

So when they did the DS CBU missions, they had the PAVE TACK pod mounted?  What purpose would that serve for dropping unguided CBU's?

No, they did not.  The Pave Tack pods didn't arrive in time.  They were held up on a transport.  The jets left Clark east-bound.  The Pave Tack pods/airlift went west.  Jets beat the pods to Turkey.  

For the combat missions, a standard 600 gallon fuel tank was on the centerline.  The Pave Tack pods finally arrived and were loaded with GBU-10s but the cease fire was called that day and the mission never flown.

Jake

2 hours ago, jmel said:

No, they did not.  The Pave Tack pods didn't arrive in time.  They were held up on a transport.  The jets left Clark east-bound.  The Pave Tack pods/airlift went west.  Jets beat the pods to Turkey.  

For the combat missions, a standard 600 gallon fuel tank was on the centerline.  The Pave Tack pods finally arrived and were loaded with GBU-10s but the cease fire was called that day and the mission never flown.

Jake

Oh.... I saw the pic above of an F-4 with the two cluster bombs and the PAVE TACK.  Assumed that was taken before one of the operational missions, since it appears to be during DS.

50 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Oh.... I saw the pic above of an F-4 with the two cluster bombs and the PAVE TACK.  Assumed that was taken before one of the operational missions, since it appears to be during DS.

No, this pic was taken for an official picture. Somewhere in my harddrive I have a picture overlooking the gathered crowd with the F-4E an F-111E, a Herc and other aircraft from the 7440 CW.

Thanks to Scout712 for sending me a copy of Smoke Trails article, it is BIG HELP !!!

One question remains, any former Phantom Phixer here ? Why you can not load the CBU-87 directly to a pylon with AIM-9 rails attached ? Is it for the wing-wing clearance Sidewinder vs CBU-87 ? Then, why use the "special weapons adapter" and why not just TER ?

And as for wing-wing clearance AIM-9 vs GBU-10 - is it thanks to that the GBU-10 is longer and bigger so the wings dont interfere ?

Pardon my english, hope it is understandable...

Thanks !

Jakub

No problem,  was a pleasure.

You can load the CBU-87 onto the the inboards with AIM-9 rails attached, even with AIM-9s onto them. It is just a problem for the rear fins to clear the CBU's fins when the Aim-9 is fired. They might collide. Strangely,  with the GAF F-4 we sometimes carried baggage pods under the inboards with live Aim-9Li attached to the rails when we had to deploy with QRA jets to a different airfield.  The 1-F-4F-34 (the weapons checklist) did not prohibit us from doing so.

Regarding the GBU-10 and the adapter. They had to be loaded directly under the pylons because of its size they would not have any grounds clearance otherwise.

Cheers

Scout

On 1/5/2019 at 1:27 PM, Rob de Bie said:

If anyone is familiar with Alconbury RF-4Cs, I have a question. I went there in summer 1985 for a day of spotting, and I seem to remember one a/c with a Pave Knife, not a Pave Tack. Did they use that too?

Rob

No. Knife was only used by a limited number of F-4Ds and A-6As during Vietnam. They were central to the effectiveness of Operation Linebacker, but were a stopgap and were already being superseded by the AN/AVQ-23 PAVE Spike by the end of the war.

On 1/11/2019 at 6:21 PM, achterkirch said:

Your the one responsible for dstorm.eu?

sorry for going a bit off topic. 

Yes, this is my site. Or, OUR site, as A LOT of people from all corners of the world contributed with either info or pics 🙂

On 1/14/2019 at 3:01 AM, JakubJakepilot said:

Yes, this is my site. Or, OUR site, as A LOT of people from all corners of the world contributed with either info or pics 🙂

Well I must thank you all. It has been a great help on a few projects so far!