Beriev R-1 Jet flying boat - 1/72 scale resin kit from ABM

This new resin kit from ABM represents the sole prototype of the Beriev R-1 jet-powered flying boat.

Beautifully cast in flawless cream coloured resin, this is resin casting at its best.

It is a comprehensive kit - excellently packaged - with fantastic service - 7 days from order to delivery (over the Christmas period).

The box art depicts the R-1 flying over (presumably?) Beriev's base at Taganrog....

Beriev%2001.jpg

The comprehensive instructions are on two A3 sheets folded into a four-page A4 'booklet'....

Beriev%2002.jpg

Note that the colour references are generic - Green, Leather, Steel Grey etc - with the whole airframe in 'Ghost Grey'.

Beriev%2003.jpg

The parts are superby cast in a cream coloured resin with no hint of air bubbles or casting flaws....

Beriev%2006.jpg

The wing is one piece incorporating the main engine nacelles......

Beriev%2007.jpg

The intakes and jet exhausts are separate - with a nice representation of the Klimov VK-1 (RR Nene) turbojet to go inside the intake....

Beriev%2008.jpg

The decal sheet is by Begemot, so quality is assurered - two copies are included......

Beriev%2010.jpg

Note the decals for the instrument panels - an alternative film negative is also included for items 1 & 2.

The canopy and clear parts are vacformed - with two copies being supplied in case of accidents.

A few more photos are here.

This really is a quality kit - reflected in the price - but IMHO it is worth every penny.

I'll be starting it soon....

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress.....

The two hull halves have a raised flange along the planing bottom - part of the resin pouring stub.

This has to be removed - I used a razor saw and craft knife - taking suitable precautions with resin dust.

Beriev%2012.jpg

ABM provide a detailed interior - with a pilot's cockpit made up from a floor, bulkheads and side panels. Ejection seats and a rear gunners seat are included along with a control column, instrument panels, navigators sight and oxygen bottles.

The oxygen bottles are fitted into two mounting brackets - all very delicate - and decals are provide for the instrument panel and side consoles...

I added seat belts from tape - but not much is visible once the interior is installed....

These are the navigators, pilots and rear gunners stations once assembled - please excuse the dust particles - I didn't notice them when taking the photos (my eyesight is failing)

Beriev%2013.jpg

A closer view of the cockpit......

Beriev%2014.jpg

Various small resin 'boxes' plus a map case and fire extinguisher are installed inside each fuselage half - with decals provided for the 'Black boxes'....

Again - excuse the dust - I really should have blown it off....

Beriev%2015.jpg

The interior sub-assemblies installed inside the port fuselage half...

Beriev%2016.jpg

Close up of the nose area....

Beriev%2017.jpg

That's all folks...

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress....

The fuselage halves are glued together - there's a bit of a mis-match at the rear end...

Beriev%2018.jpg

... probably my fauly - but nothing a bit of filler can't sort out.....

The wings have been removed from their pouring stubs....

Beriev%2019.jpg

...and a test fit looks good....

Beriev%2020.jpg

More to come...

Ken

On 1/28/2019 at 10:43 PM, Flankerman said:

A little more progress....

The fuselage halves are glued together - there's a bit of a mis-match at the rear end...

Beriev%2018.jpg

... probably my fauly - but nothing a bit of filler can't sort out.....

Hmm,  please post pics of your technique of how you manage to overcome the fuselage mismatch problem.  I encounter similar mismatch problems with the early A-Model kits and often end up placing the half-built kits back in the box.  Really no motivation to pick them back up again until I figure out a fix.

Thank you :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Jackman.... nothing spectacular - just filler and sanding - the resin is thick enough to take it.

In the meantime.... a little more progress....

Part for the engine nacelles - note the exquisitely detailed Klimov VK-1 turbojet (a licence-built RR Nene)....

It will be hidden inside the depths of the long nacelle - but it is superb nonetheless.

Beriev%2021.jpg

Parts for the cruciform tailplane removed from their pouring stubs...

Beriev%2022.jpg

...and assembled.......

Beriev%2023.jpg

The flaps and ailerons cleaned up and attached......

Beriev%2024.jpg

The wing fitted (but not yet glued) to check for fit.....

Beriev%2025.jpg

More later...

Ken

In case anyone is following..?

More...

The engine intakes are assembled and cleaned up - the starboard one is glued in place, the port side is left off to show how the Klimov VK-1 turbojet is fitted..

Beriev%2026.jpg

The VK-1 centrifugal-flow turbojet is a superb example of resin casting - whoever made the master has done a brilliant job...:worthy:

Beriev%2027.jpg

Unfortunately all that work is hidden away inside the nacelle.......  :crying:

The wings are now attached to the fuselage - the fit is great, the joint just needs a smear of filler.....

Beriev%2028.jpg

Georgiy Beriev's finest.......

Beriev%2029.jpg

Ken

• 1 month later...

Some (slow) progress........

I spent a lot of time trying to eliminate the joint between the front and rear parts of the engine nacelles - lots of sanding/filling to get it smooth.....

Beriev%2030.jpg

Once I was happy with the joints, a final coat of primer was applied, the surfaces were gently sanded smooth and the top coat of light grey applied.

The decals are printed by Begemot - so quality is assured - and they went on without fuss - although I did cut the red cheat line into three parts to get it reasonably straight...

Beriev%2031.jpg

All I need to do now is cut out and fit the vacform transparencies, fit the wingtip floats and attach a homemade beaching gear....

Beriev%2032.jpg

Ken

• 5 months later...

Thank you very much for the information, Ken! It's worth a shot - that's a Soviet prototype I've always loved the look of. And who knows, maybe Modelsvit or someone like them will come out with it in plastic. They've pretty much done all the big MiGs (as you well know, having built them), so maybe they'll turn to some other 1950s Soviet prototypes like this one.

Best Regards,

Jason