• 2 weeks later...

Update, 2 weeks later--let the disappointment begin--

I installed the weapons bays, main landing gear wells, engine, intake ducts and now I have a major issue--the left wing root has a major droop.  My lower fuselage appears to have a warp.

Another thing I've noticed is both main gear well where attaching next to weapons bays isn't molded correctly. The notches in the top of the weapons bays is an area of interference.

The 2 locating pins broke off near the wing root during my attempt to figure out the alignment issues.  I don't understand why these are not heavier, they look like pins from a 1/72 mold. 

I am also thinking of drilling out the top of the intake duct where the aerial refueling bay sits to allow more clearance.

Overall the plastic is soft because Italeri used recycled material.

I think this airframe would have definitely benefited from from screws/pins like a Tamiya 1/32. I've built their F-15E, Block 50 Viper, and my next build will be their F-4J, metal hardware is a huge plus when building 1/32.

Edited by weirich1

With a lot of persuasion, the fuselage has been closed up. After 12 hours I removed all the tape that basically was used to pull the fuselage together at the wing root, and it worked.  Some areas with require some putty but not as bad as expected. I've dry-fitted the wings, holy gap between the fuselage, Italeri really missed the mark in this area of the kit. The radome is clean fit also, might need a tiny amount of putty.

Of course, I don't understand why Kitty Hawk and Italeri supply the engine, I don't build jets with huge holes in the fuselage. An after market company needs to step up and give us some engine bay parts similar to what is provided in the Tamiya 1/32 F-16C Block 50. The simplest fix would be to insert a piece of tubing from the inlet through the buklhead to the nozzle opening.

This thing is big and heavy, a great source of potential for the customizers.

100_3820.JPG

100_3821.JPG

Bottom's up!

100_3822.JPG

I painted the hydraulic accumulators Yellow Zinc Chromate, weapons racks Steel, bleed manifold Gunship gray FS36118, all boxes Dark Gul Gray FS36231. In the forward corner of the nose well, there is a box that is identical to an F/A-18 Super Hornet AOA indicator for carrier landings, I plan on painting the circles green, orange, and red to use as a "GO-NO-GO" indicators.

Edited by weirich1
  • 4 weeks later...

Been a while since I've added to this post--

The beast is almost complete!

The upper wing joint is a nightmare, expect a lot of filling the seam at fuselage. I've survived dealing with the installation of all those doors and arms that attach them, whew. The RAM mask supplied with the kit are outstanding for the upper fuselage, just add some tape in between some to complete the patterns. The landing gear dropped right into the wells, the tires didn't require a drop of glue to install. The weapons look outstanding once decals applied.

HG5 paint is Mission Models MMP-083 Have Glass Grey FS36170.

The decals are a few from the kit with the majority being Furball Aero-Design F-35 Anthology Big Scale Lightning IIs, superb quality.

All that remains is the final primer and paint around the vertical tails once the CA cures; then seat, canopy.

100_3825.JPG

Edited by weirich1