Academy F-5E 7 PRS/ 2 PRG

Well I finally got the box opened.  That's a start.  This will be an "out of the box" build except for the decals mostly to keep it on track.  If I make good progress I may add another build. 

08vLxl6.jpg

Geoff M

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on this when I can.  I haven't taken many pictures but I will catch you up with where I am at.  The plane is mostly assembled and I have been doing the slow work of restoring damaged panel lines and other details.  There are some nasty joints on this kit and since this is not my first acad p-38 I knew where I needed to spend a little time to make things fit better.HpDP1Qi.jpg

getting the cockpit installed.  This is from a couple weeks ago.je966Vy.jpg

This is where I am now.  I did refine some of the holes in the little scoop around the cowlings and where the turbo superchargers go.

jOjugMO.jpg

Kit cockpit with the paper decal instrument panel

kOOaVVE.jpg

The cowling area with its associated joints and panel lines.  I redid some of the rivet detail too.  Looks like it still needs some finishing touches.

PAlfWQk.jpg

Photo nose attached.  It fit well but there is no firm attachment.  I used super glue to attach it but in the sanding and rescribing it broke off and had to be glued on again.

51XuEQY.jpg

Another view

1k6I1pQ.jpg

Another area with bad joints.  I worked on this for hours to get the best fit.  I used some spreaders and sheet plastic guides to make it all come together.  Still needed plenty of sanding.  I have also experienced that the main landing gear doors have no firm attachment.  I have come up with an idea for remedying that.  I will post picks later.

Thanks for looking.

Geoff M

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm getting close to finishing this and it is looking good so far.  Still need to add the gear doors and some minor detail painting. 

Leh2juN.jpg

43sxID6.jpg

xuA2Rp5.jpg

I have come up with my own idea for mounting the main landing gear doors.  I the processor assembling the booms I filed depressions or notches into the parts to be able to insert tabs there to mount the doors to.  We'll see how it works out.

oOUulDE.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Geoff M

• 2 weeks later...