Minicraft 1/144 CFM-56 Engines Available

14 minutes ago, Kingoalie said:

Thanks for the link.  I still don't understand why Minicraft didn't just include these versus tool new, worse ones for the KC-135R...

Different pylons?

They are slightly, that's true, but how they dorked up the shape of the cowling boggles my mind when they already produced a nice rendition.  Still, I am happy to have a newer tool KC-135R, and with the windscreen from Daco's 737 along with some scratch built engine covers, I think it'll look nice when finished.

At my initial "in box" sprue inspection a few years ago, I thought the Minicraft KC-135R CFM-56 engines to be "close enough."  Your comments prompt me to make a closer inspection.  I was thinking of using the Minicraft DC-8-7 CFM-56 engines on my Revell KC-135A kits to turn them into R models. Or use them on the Minicraft E-3A/B/C AWACS kit to render an E-3D/F or on the Minicraft 707-320 series of kits to render an E-6A/B/C.

Don't recall who said it but they described the intake lips of the KC-135R kit to resemble Mick Jagger lips.  LOL    I'm putting the finishing touches on a tribute build of Shell 77, the KC-135 the was lost a few years back over Kyrgyzstan.   Also a conversion of the latest Rivet Joint with the CFM-56's.   In both cases, a little time spent with a sanding stick and sandpaper lessens some of the fat lip look of the engines.  These replacements from Minicraft should work great on one of the E-3/E-6 type planes.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:53 PM, Drifterdon said:

You'll have to modify the pylons but at least the engines themselves are better shaped than the ones that come in the KC-135R kit. 

I'd be curious to see what's involved in getting the DC-8 engines integrated onto the -135 wing...most of my 1/144 -135s will be A models, but I plan to do at least one R.

Thanks for the link!

Jonah

I'm thinking the 135R engine molds probably came from the E-3 AWACS kit that Minicraft did in their alteration of the core 707 tooling. Those engines were done before the DC-8 work began. Nice to see them offering the DC-8 motors as those are beautiful!