1/32 Kitty Hawk F-5E Kicked Up A Notch. Oct 3/19 Finished!

4 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Thanks Steve,

Yes I have and have used them before as shown below, but most of the placards are way too tiny for masks.  If I'm going to use some decals, I may as well use all decals, but I have a plan to make the edges of them disappear- or at least be less noticeable.

oRB59E.jpg

wPcigy.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Gotchya - I believe it will look amazing!  You are the master 👍🏻

On 6/20/2019 at 11:43 PM, chuck540z3 said:

Have really good light and also directional light, so that you can see reflections to see if the paint is wet vs dull.

Chuck540z3, wiat source of light do you use in your workshop? Could you show us any pictures of your lamps?

6 hours ago, Solo said:

Chuck540z3, what source of light do you use in your workshop? Could you show us any pictures of your lamps?

Nothing special.  Other than good overhead light within my paint booth, I have a couple of small desk lamps on the sides that I can move into position to allow reflections off the surface of the model I'm painting.  You need reflected light to show how wet (or not) your paint is being applied.

Cheers,

Chuck

July 26/19

Inching along towards the finish line.  One major addition is the big center line fuel tank, which my subject usually has strapped on.  In many pics of modern F-5E/N’s, the vertical fin has been removed, leaving the base attachment, so I cut mine off.

o96OoM.jpg

Something missing is a fuel cap, because you’ve got to get the fuel in there somehow! I used another spare PE brass disk that I also used on the top of the fuselage when I moved the fuel caps from the starboard side to the port side.

lkFXJn.jpg

Painting circular objects can be tricky, so this wire contraption worked out quite well to keep the tank suspended without touching anything.

YcZSF4.jpg

The other side.  I will put a red circular decal on that fuel cap later.

7FQu3n.jpg

Now some real fun and before somebody alerts me to the fact that the titanium panels at the rear of the jet are often dull, I will be adding some semi-gloss lacquer to knock down the shine a bit later.  For now, it looks pretty cool with all that raised rivet detail.

Cxia41.jpg

3eaAgl.jpg

VNyZD4.jpg

KAXkfZ.jpg

BMpFS1.jpg

Next up are likely decals and here’s my plan.  As cool as the gloss black finish looks, it’s too shiny for scale and I still need something to seal the decals in so that decal film edges will be minimized.  To do this, I’m going to be spraying the entire model with Tamiya Semi-Gloss Lacquer right after decals, which will also tone down the shine of the titanium panels and exhausts.  Fingers crossed that don’t regret this!

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3
1 hour ago, yurihul said:

Chuck,

Be careful with Tamiya Semi Gloss, depending on the decal maker etc, I have seen Tamiya Lacquers  melt decals after application. If you choose that path, very light coats 🙂

Y

Thanks Yuri!  It looks like some acrylic X-22 should go down first, followed by the Tamiya lacquer.

Cheers,

Chuck

Absolutely stunning. Brilliant work! You really know how to duplicate the smallest detail where at all possible. 1:1 accuracy. Just brilliant!

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, SERNAK said:

Any update?

In a word, No.  3 things are holding me back:

1) I started the decals and realized that I didn't have any US Insignia decals in red.  Nobody makes them in 1/32 scale either, so I had to order Maketar paint masks which will take a few weeks to arrive.

2)  I screwed up a big decal (more on that later) so I had to order a replacement.  Same delivery time as above.

3)  It's finally summer, so vacation and other summer-like activities are taking up most of my time.

I might have an update on the two wing-tip pods before then, so we'll see.

Cheers,

Chuck

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2019 at 11:15 AM, chuck540z3 said:

Guys,

I have been having trouble posting here lately so quite frankly I just gave up.  If any body wants to see the end of this build they can view it over at LSP here:

1/32 Kitty Hawk F-5E Build

Thank you,

Chuck

Oh too bad. I wonder what is up? I will go have a look Chuck. You actually made me think about getting this kit as it is one of my favourite but I was hoping more for an A so I can do a Canadian CF-5. Maybe one day.

• 2 weeks later...

DONE!

I have posted pics of the finished model in the Display Case Forum here:

1/32 Kitty Hawk F-5E/N:  "Kicked Up a Notch"

Thank you everyone for your continued interest in this build.   I really appreciate your comments and feedback over the past 9 months.

Cheers,

Chuck

ZcPnZx.jpg

or5V6m.jpg

4Nz0Zp.jpg

Outstanding Chuck.  That finish is mirror smooth.  Another masterpiece to be proud of.  When will you start your next project?  Given your penchant for alternating builds, what prop job will you be dedicating your time to and will you be posting it here or will you be on LSP or both?

Looking forward to the next work of art.

Take care Chuck.

Mike